Swollen eyes after Myxomatosis jab??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by charlielolalotta, Oct 17, 2011.

1. charlielolalotta

charlielolalotta PetForums Newbie

So last week one of my rabbits had to be put to sleep as he had Myxomatosis which is very upsetting as we have only had our rabbits for a few months :( So the next day I had the other 2 vaccinated as the vet said they looked fine. However, I've just been out to put them to bed and both rabbit's eyes look a little swollen. I was just wondering if this could be a reaction to the jab or do you think they could of caught it too? I will give the vet a call first thing tomorrow morning but I'm really worried about my other two little buns!

Thanks.

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

mine have never had a reaction to their mixi jabs and after a week I wouldnt expect it.

I would have another proper look at them inside.

If you feel they are defiantly swollen or if there not eating or off colour then please take them both straight away to a different rabbit savvy vet tonight.

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

where abouts are you based? we might be able to reccomend a good vet for you.

4. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

As above, please get to vet tonight. A reaction one week after vaccination is not typical and I'm worried your other rabbits have contracted myxi.

5. charlielolalotta

I've just brought them both inside to have a good look. They aren't swollen underneath but lola and lotta both being girls I don;t really know how to tell? I'm really worried I don't know if I'm being paranoid but their eyes looks a little more puffy than usual. I will see if I can post a pic.

I'm in Essex. We have a vet round the corner to us she is very good.

6. charlielolalotta

Here's a picture of lotta. Lola looks pretty much the same. If they do have but have had their jabs can it be cured? I hope they're ok :(

Attached Files:

7. purple_x

purple_x PetForums VIP

I can only really echo what the others have said, please get your bunnies to a vet tonight. It's better to take them and there be nothing wrong (fingers crossed) than to have them suffer for the night.
    Because even vaccinated bunnies can get myxi :(

ETA: Just saw the pics and bunnies eye looks very sore :( I really would get her to a vet asap.

8. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

vet now

the myximitosis jab does NOT prevent the diesise fully, it offers some protection and gives the rabbits the ability to fight it in the event that they do get it

9. charlielolalotta

I've got no way of getting to the vet and my 2 year old son is in bed. They're eating ok today and seem normal I'll just have to take them very first thing in the morning and see how they are. That's all I can do :( If the girls do have it aswell can it be cured as they only had their jab a week ago?

Thanks for the advice!

10. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

if they have it it is worth trying to fight it, if they hadnt had the jab last week it would be kinder to let them go if it is myxi, but the fact that they have had their jab means you have a chance of beating it, it wont be an easy battle though

thats if it is myxi, it could be something totally different, but the fact you have already lost 1 bun to myxi is a huge worry.

let us know what the vet says in the morning, i have everything crossed for you