Stubborn!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Hertsgirl, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hertsgirl

Hertsgirl PetForums Senior

Cookie has become increasingly stubborn as she's got older, she's only almost 6 months and she takes no notice if she doesn't want to! We have her trained to sit, stay etc and mostly she is good but she has lately shown what a stubborn little bugger she can be! Little madam..

2. Catz1

Catz1 PetForums VIP

I find the 6 month to 10 month period in a dogs life is the absolute worst time for stubbornness. In my experience it is the butt-head stage when you have to work harder at things like Leave, Drop it and recall. I thought I was messing up Rio's training at this age because she was becoming more willful and ignoring me but it sort of fell back into place around the 11 month mark.
    Your girl is stunning by the way :)

3. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

Welcome to the teenager stage! My 8 mth springer pup is in this stage and you just have to keep at it with the training. it will pass !

4. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Teenagers :rolleyes:

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Not a lot of consolation I know but she is normal. they start to leave puppyhood behind and with it goes that dependant eager to please pup, and in its place, one that will run off when it came before and doesnt sit and wait and look at you so adoringly at your every command:D

At almost 6 mths there will be hormonal changes they can have a season at 6mths onwards. Which will account for a lot of it, other things are more interesting then you are now.

You will need to carry on and up the training now more then ever. Many people tailor it off thinking that its a waste of time, but you need to do the opposite. Just keep going and be consistant it does pass its just a phase.

6. Hertsgirl

Thank you all for your replies :)

I gathered that she was going through a 'stage' as before she has been good as gold, she has this tendency to 'choose' when to listen to me (much like a child!) or my hubby :rolleyes: I think the only thing to do is keep on trying but it is very frustrating when at night she get's on our bed and she's ignores us and then trying to get a 20kg big girl up when you are half asleep & she's gone like a dead weight isn't an easy task! but we end up having to push her to the edge of the bed then she decides to get down :rolleyes::
    She is very stubborn and will only do something if 'she' wants to, regardless of what we want! :cryin: :hand:

7. IndyGoJones

IndyGoJones PetForums Member

Know exactly how you feel! It seems our pup is slipping into this stage too! Trying to get him just to sit for his toys is becoming a complete mission! I guess like everyone has said just to keep at the training :)

He woke us up every two hours last night, scratching at the door to get out, jumping on the bed and just flattening himself out when we told him to get down. Grr!

8. Hertsgirl

What is your puppy? Cookie is a stubborn little/big girl and she's so big already but she's going to get alot bigger so am hoping to knock the sleeping on our bed on the head or there'll be no room for me or hubby! :eek: :rolleyes:

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If you dont mind her in the bedroom, and just being on the bed is the problem,
    have you thought about giving her her own bed on the floor, and training and reinforcing she can go/is to go on that? Other then that if she is already crate trained or has been, maybe start off with the crate in the bedroom near to the bed, get her to accept that as her space, and then maybe do away with the crate and just have her bed eventually.

10. Barkie

Barkie PetForums Senior

:D

OP. -

P was very good at this and was little bother even as a teen but M who I had before her was a bright but devious and stubborn little mite from day 1 and it was several weeks of relentless practice with high value rewards and half her dinner in my pockets before I saw light at the end of the tunnel. She would 'work' when she felt like it - and to start with she mostly didn't feel like it.

It did click into place by keeping at it with her and she turned out to be a very obedient dog with a recall to die for but the first couple of months were pretty grim. I didn't let up, to be honest I was terrified not to, and I'm sure if you keep plugging away at it you'll succeed too. It's a phase, there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

11. Hertsgirl

Oh she does have her own posh big bed which we put down the side of our bed at bedtime and she goes on it to start with but then she chooses to try to sneak up on ours :confused:
    We also have a crate but it's in the kitchen and we only use it when we go out, although we just close the stairgate on the kitchen doorway and not the crate door.

12. Hertsgirl

Thanks, I'm hoping so as we want her to be well behaved :) I will keep at it with her, I never had any of these problems with my dog Arnie who we lost in Sept and we had him from birth (we had his mum too) but like humans, I suppose all dogs are different :D

13. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Dogs are not stubborn - you're just not working hard enough. ;)

14. Hertsgirl

haha I think that's what Cookie thinks too!! :hand:

15. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I didn't mean it in a nasty way - just realised how it could've been took, glad you didn't take it like that though :)

16. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Hehe, my dog also reached the dreaded 'dober-teens' a few weeks ago where my gorgeous angel of a dog turned into a disobedient SOD and seems to have got cotton wool stuck in his ears :D were just working harder and harder to maintain he level we've been going at before.

At least it won't last forever! (although, it doesn't feel that way at the moment! ;))

17. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

I think mine is hitting it early (4 months)...he has a mind of his own...made my OH take him on a walk in the dark tonight to calm him down and get him out for a minute while I prepare dinner!

18. Longton Flyball

Longton Flyball PetForums Senior

Clover has always been stubborn and at almost 10months is actually better...ok sometimes if giggle wiggle is confiscated.

Duke's almost 8years old and he's becoming a stubborn old man but hey that's what we love about them it's their attitude that makes them who they are.

Just keep training or doing what your doing and you'll get there ;)

19. Hertsgirl

It doesn't feel that way, you're right!! But persevere I will - she will do thing's my way :D

20. Hertsgirl

I'm so glad this is 'normal' behaviour in most dogs and not just mine :D