Stop indoor cats escaping through Open windows!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Tracybunnies, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Amie

Amie PetForums Junior

If its only an issues when your in bed, could you not just shut the cats into 1/2 rooms with no windows open?

Our cat goes outside, but in the morning she sits on the outside of our bedroom window, on the ledge - yesterday she fell off :( hit our decking in the garden.. she was up in 2 seconds and meowing at the backdoor to be let back in - I wasnt looking forward to looking out the window to see if she was ok, very scared - but she wont do it again hehe

2. FlatCats

FlatCats PetForums Newbie

Hi Everyone,
    I can see that you are debating protecting your windows and I can see that our product Flat Cats is mentioned. We are confident that you will like the product and, if you would like to give it a go I am happy to offer anyone from the "Pet Forum" a 50% discount on the purchase price along with the promise that if you dont like the product, just return it to us for a full refund. If you feel that you wanted to give it a try just call me, Dominic Parker and I will arrange the discount for you... my number is on our site at Window protection for cats - Open your windows without endangering your cat . There was a lady who said that her cat would have it off in a matter of minutes... ok, well just ask and we will fix more pads around the outside for you, the same gtee applies. Best wishes and we are delighted to be part of the forum. Dominic Parker :001_smile:

3. Simba9952

Simba9952 PetForums Member

I take your point about 'crafty cat paws', however i am in rented accommodation and can't bolt or screw anything to the windows. I will e-mail or call the seller and try to find out some further information. :confused:

4. FlatCats

I look forward to hearinng from you Simba, the product is ideal where you cant afford to damage the frames. Best wishes : Dominic

5. PompeyGirl

PompeyGirl PetForums Newbie

I can vouch for Flat Cats. I have two kittens (Bengal x and Oriental x) and live in a first floor flat on a v busy road. Bags and Mowgli love to sit and watch the world go by but, of course it wouldn't be safe to leave the window open with them sitting there.

I bought Flat Cats (custom made) for my HUGE wondows - Dominic helped me no end with my order - they came very quickly and were simple to put up. Obviously you wouldn't leave the mad kittens alone with a window open, so far I've had no problems. Thanks Dom!!!!

Lucy x

6. RNCSOFT.COM

RNCSOFT.COM PetForums Newbie

The only thing you can really do is to fit mesh window guards,or build a run in your garden,so you can put them out on warmer days/nights and enjoy having your windows wide open!

7. CATastrophe

CATastrophe PetForums Junior

It's very tricky to find the right product here - Flat Cats by Dominic above are fantastic- however, he still suggests that you should only use them when you are home with your cats.... I would like something where I can leave the kittens safely during the day when I'm at work with a window open for fresh air while strong and reliable enough so they can't craftily escape. :confused:

I found another product online at Window Screens UK. It says the product is available from £19.00 - but that's not true - the price is £38.00 because you have to buy 2 in the kit!!! :mad: And then, you have to add another £10 for pet mesh :eek: - so all in all you're having to pay almost £50 just to cover your window?? :(

So, is it worth going out, buying yourself some mossie netting and strips of wood and constructing your own??

8. FlatCats

Hello... Im nterested in the reply from Catastpophe. We had considered designing and marketing a device which was fixed to the windows but as this would essentially involve the owner drilling 6 (albeit very small) holes in the window frame we thought that would receive resistance in the market... it would however act as a "total" defence and would be far easier to store than the window screens product which is rigid (I think). I would be interested if anyone had a view as to wether they would be prepared to drill holes for "total" security or is this a real "no no". Best wishes : Dominic

9. CATastrophe

CATastrophe PetForums Junior

I understand your concerns regarding drilling into your window frames - I certainly wouldnt want to do that through my PVC double glazing, however the Screen UK company have very strong adhesive magnets - so no drilling, which 'they guarantee' no cat can remove but the owner could easily moev away when not needed. However, like I mentioned, they are quite expensive (well I think they are), because they advertise the price FROM £19, which isnt quite true, so when you see the actual price it's a little off putting. :sneaky2:

There must be some way of attaching window guards without drilling - unfortunately I havent the time to experiment with different techniques! :001_unsure:

10. Vallon

Vallon PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I am just gonna be experimenting with this at our new house trying not to drill in the PVC.

My initial idea is going to be using the heavy duty Velcro, which can carry up to about 7kg per 50mm by 50mm square of Velcro. Using enough of this should keep the frame, that i am planing on making, attached to the window panels even with our cat hanging on it, and still make it easy to take off an on.

Will report back with the results in a couple of weeks once i have made the prototype.

#30 Vallon, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  11. Number 1

Number 1 PetForums Member

Wow, a very generous offer by Flat Cats. I was going to get aircon but this is now v tempting :D

12. Rraa

Rraa PetForums VIP

It is a generous offer and a nice neat product - but, as Dominic Parker says, he would only recommend its use whilst "you are in the property" which means (to me) that I cannot go to work leaving a window open for fresh air and trust that this product will keep my babies inside the house.

I shall be doing some diy ...

13. SnowDances

SnowDances PetForums Newbie

Hi!

I'm new here :) I have a Selkirk Rex called Belle who is an indoor cat. She is now the proud owner of a pen but still tries to get at the pigeons out of the loft room windows- eek! :scared: Has anyone tried and had success with Flat Cat? I'm tempted but don't want to waste my money!

Jenni x

14. FlatCats

Hi everyone, Dominic here again from Window protection for cats - Open your windows without endangering your cat
    I have had a lot of emails over the last few weeks asking if the 50% off offer for our window screens. to anyone quoting the pet forum, is still in place (it is nearly a year since I mae the post). To cover any uncetainly I can clarify that yes it will be in place this year at least so please feel free to drop me an email and request it. Best wishes all - Dominic

15. ruin

ruin PetForums Newbie

Dominic, does this discount still apply? I really need to get something sorted!

16. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

Ruin, This thread is 2 and a half years old so I doubt that Dominic will see it. Why don't you go on to the FlatCats website and contact him through that.
    Sorry ,not confident at posting link but if you google " Flat Cats" you will find the site.

I have recently purchased 2 custom made Flat Cats. The service provided by Dominic Parker is excellent and I am also extremely pleased with the products, as is my cat. I can thoroughly reccomend the Flat Cats in fact I am considering getting some for other windows, thats if the weather perks up.:thumbup1:

17. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums Senior

Could you try and put a net with the elastic tension cords at the top and bottom so they can't get through it, but still let the fresh air in, it would be quite cheap!