Stiffness after sleeping

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sammimilo, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Sammimilo

Sammimilo PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Hope someone can help

I have a 2 year old cocker x collie, a very hyper pup.

The last 6 months he has been getting up after sleep limping, not in the morning just after a snooze on an evening.

I have taken him to the vets and they have checked him out and nothing, took him back again and we decided to have X-rays and blood test done, so booked him in for 2 weeks time, within in the 2 weeks milo hasn't limped and I canceled the X-rays. The cost would of been around £400. So I am now doing a bit of research, surely it can't be joints because he would limp all the time and be in a lot of pain.

When he gets up an limps, after a walk around he seems fine. At the mo I am rest lead walking and have been doing for about 2 mths but still the same. It's not all the time just now and again.

Hope this makes sense

I feed him on Arden grange and salmon oil.

Cheers for reading

2. victoria171168

victoria171168 PetForums Senior

it could be ocd or elbow dysplasia showing as once warmed up a lot of dogs dont always show the pain.

Osteo chrondritis doesnt show up well on xrays but personally I would have them done to be on the safe side. are you insured?

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Not necessarily when moving and active a dog can seem absolutely fine, no signs of a limp or any problems, it can sometimes happen after exercise and activity and when they have laid in one position for a goodwhile the joints can "seize up" and become stiff, so on rising and for the first steps they are "stiff" but on moving again the stiffness wears off and they are fine and free moving again.

Its hard to say whats causing it, it could be some minor changes brought on at the end of the day after exercise and acitivity in the joints, or even muscular or other soft tissue that becomes inflamed and after laying he gets stiff.

Ive used Mobile bones with a good deal of success, might be worth holding fire and see how he goes on a course of that first, especially as it seems to have subsided now.

Dogs Joint Supplement | Glucosamine for Dogs | Mobile Bones | Pooch and Mutt

4. Sammimilo

Sammimilo PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your advice,

Forgot to mention the stiffness is more in his ankles, sometimes when he does limp and you stretch his paw/ankle it can be tender and he pulls away.

I've been thinking of a supplement for him to see how he goes, with that would you still rest him as in lead walks or carry on with his day to day routine.

Thank you

5. Sled dog hotel

Ive had some success with mobile bones if you want to have a look at that.

Dogs Joint Supplement | Glucosamine for Dogs | Mobile Bones | Pooch and Mutt

Could be the ligaments in his carpals (wrist joints) or the wrist joint themselves are getting a big inflamed causing a bit of stiffness after exercise and then when he rests they seize up.

6. Sled dog hotel

Missed the last bit, it might not be a bad idea to rest him for a bit and just lead walks to see if it does make a difference.