Steroids and peeing/drinking lots.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Malmum, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

A friend's dog recently has her dog on steroids and although it has been nearly a week since she has finished them (abruptly after vomiting) she is still drinking like crazy and peeing.

I know steroids make dogs drink lots and pee but not sure for how long afterwards. Has anyone had a dog on steroids and if so how long did they continue to drink and pee loads, or did that stop as soon as the steroids were stopped?

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Im not sure but have had dogs on steriods, cant remember but I suppose it depends on how long it takes to get out of their system, maybe its different with some dogs?
    Probably best to check with vet:)

3. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

My labs got lymphoma and was taking steroids nightly (8 preds) and peeing loads, he now takes 8 every other day but his peeing has increased. He licks my face every hour at night to let him out for a pee. I've discussed this with my vet who thinks its the steroids and normal but was told to look to see if he was struggling when peeing or passing blood (which he's not) but was told if this is the case could be cystitis ?!

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Even after One steroid injection mine are usually fine until about the 4th day then it has gone on for probably best part of a week, not with just one of the dogs either several diffrent ones over the years. Even though a vet told me once after an injection it should only last 4 days:confused1:

Dont remember any of them having to be on a course of steroid tablets so cant help with that sorry.

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I was just curious as she's worried it could be diabetes. Se is taking her back to the vet on Monday but she has perked up quite a bit, just the peeing and drinking she's worried about and i've no idea when it comes to steroids.

Thanks for your replies. :)