Staffy's in rescue

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jan 28, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I know there has been alot on this topic recently, and I was just looking at the sspca's website... I have just calculated:

Out of the 69 dogs available for rehoming...

29 of these are staffies, leaving 40.

Out of this 40, 16 are crossbreeds... 9 of which are staffy x

So out of 69 dogs, 38 are staff or staff x! And 31 are something else.

That is sad that the rescue is more than half staffies And that is only the sspca! :(:(

x

2. It is very sad.

It's the same with my local rescue...

They only have 13 strays in at the minute, but 6 of them are Staffys and Staffys crosses :(

3. Lily's Mum

Lily's Mum Banned

Aww that is soo sad. They are such sweet lovely dogs too.

Before I got Lily - we were looking for a rescue dog. We went to Wood Green Animal Shelter and there was the most beautiful Staffy there - brindle and ever so waggy and happy to see us. We would have re homed it but they said he could only go to homes with children over the age of 5... what a shame

4. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

both my dogs are rescues 1 is a staffie who i have had for a year, from what i can work out she is about 7 years or more now, took her straight to vets from rescue centre and was told she was in such a bad state she would have died within a few days if she had stayed in there, i wouldnt change her for the world, she is a total bull in a china shop but also so loving:D, ju

5. johnsmith

johnsmith PetForums Newbie

:001_huh: what a pity

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

This is a charity I support alot. They are involved with getting dogs from the pound into rescue...the list speaks for itself!! This is just one pound in one county.:frown2:

RDR Forum -> Poundies - 21.01.09

7. Very depressing reading - and as per the last post - re: rochdale - many of these dogs are so young.

I do wish people would put more thought in prior to taking on a dog.

8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I know it's heartbreaking isn't it. My staffy x jrt Cooper came via them he was taken to the pound after a road accident and amazingly was chipped, they rang his owners and they said 'oh just put it down, it keeps getting out and we can't be bothered'. :eek:: Luckily the rescue could be bothered and I got myself a fab little dog who funnily enough never tries to escape!!

9. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Very sad state of affairs :(

We donate to SBT rescue when we can.
    It's like hitting your head off a wall,so many are still been bred with no care or thought and this is where there ending up through no fault of there own.

SBT Rescue have take in more younger dogs recently,some as young as 4/5 months old and they had a litter and there Mum in.

So sad. :(

10. StaffieMad

StaffieMad PetForums Member

its horrible, almost every kennel has a staff or staff x in it. im so glad i rescued my girl :)

11. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

Thats the main reason we didn't sell jojos pups, we found good homes for them instead, people thought we were mad because they were pedigree pups, & we could have made some money.

But I was more interested in finding them good homes, as I know how many staffies end up in rescue centres, all of the new owners keep in touch & all her pups are doing well.

I looked at it as we rehomed the mum we didn't know she was pregnant:eek: it was one hell of a shock but we got through it with 8 healthy lively pups who are all happy & well cared for in their new homes.

We made no money on them as we chose to find the homes, in fact we were out of pocket cos boy could they eat! but the outcome was good in the end :)

Mums just been spayed this week so there wont be anymore pups!

12. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I was thinking this the other day, there seems to be more staffie's than any other breed.

We're getting a staffie x, I can't wait.

13. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I love my staffy crosses, they are both very different (one is beagle x staffy and the other JRT x Staffy) but the one thing they have in common is their love of cuddles!! They are the sweetest dogs and just want to be loved. I'm so excited that you picked a staffy cross as your new dog. :D

14. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I have to admit I have always been a bit wary of them as they seem to have an undeserved reputation. But then I met 2 and they are the sweetest things I have ever known. I suppose any breed of dog could be a vicious dog if that is what the owners want it to be.

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My lot are staffy x.. but if it had been done my way Deimi would have got the mismate jag in the 1st place.
    Don't get me wrong, I love all 9 of her babies to bits, but the amound of stress, worry and money I don't have it has cost could all have been avoided.

Puppies are so much better off being left to the good breeders.. the ones who do health checks, and have waiting lists for puppies.

I would love to get a staffy x from a rescue.. but my circumstances do not allow- no rescue near me rehomes staff x's with small children.

x

16. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

It is a shame the wrong element got their hands on this fab breed. :nonod: I was walking the rabble the other night and met a lady with 2 dali's. I shouted over that mine were friendly cos her's were off lead too and she looked a bit panicked (most people panic seeing my pack running riot tbh!!).Anyway they all had a play and a woof and the woman got mugged by Cooper (staffy x jrt) who did his usual grinning and wobbling and told her how much he loved a cuddle!! She was on the ground with him giving him kisses and cuddles and asked me what breed he was. I said he's a staffy x jrt...she jumped up and said 'omg those are the devil dogs aren't they' I laughed and said does he look evil to you? She was so pleased to have met Cooper because she'd believed what she'd read and only ever seen them on lead in our nearest town with the certain types that like their dogs to look 'hard':rolleyes: My little wonky staffy cross managed to change her mind completely and she went away thinking positively about them.

17. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Awwh thats so great :D

x

18. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

I love staffies theyr lovely and not yet have i come across an aggressive one! Its the yobs that stand on the streets with the rediculously large chains tryna make the dogs look aggressive that give them such a bad rep and its such a shame! its so sad that there are so many in the rehoming centres i personally couldnt walk round and look coz id end up taking um all home if theyd let me haha hate seing any animal in kennels all should be nice and snug in homes!- if only, i know the bolton rspca branch were paying for everyone who owned staffies in bolton to have them neutered just so they wouldnt breed them and the poor sods end up with no homes coz they were so overrun with them, just wish people knew the responsibilties of breeding not just look at the money their little dog can make:(But staffies I LOVE EM I LOVE EM I LOVE EM hehe

19. animallifelineuk

animallifelineuk PetForums Newbie

HI where about are you, we have many rescue members who take each case individually and have staffie and staffie x paups and youngsters needing homes.

20. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

It think it is the same everywhere, it is very sad that these dogs are punished for the bad press they recieve.

In the center that I volunteer for we have 7 dogs in care, 4 Staffie's, 1 Staffie cross and 2 mixed terriers.

The terriers are quite new and will proberly go quickly as they are both young also but the Staffie's have been waiting for ages, the longest one being 4 months now :(

They are such wonderful dogs and it is such a shame that they are often overlooked. Most people seem to be scared off adopting a 'TYPE' looking dog in case it gets siezed and most leggy Staffies could fall under this description.

We are currently fighting one case now as the Staffie was adopted from us and subsequently got into a dog fight ( very out of the blue as this dog was fine with other dogs and lived with them no problem) the police now are fighting to have the dog PTS and we are trying to save him.

When it comes to Staffie's the police don't seem to care what happened and why they just see a so called 'dangerous dog' which is totally un-true!