Sprocker Spaniels

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by SiobhanG, Apr 24, 2012.

1. SiobhanG

SiobhanG PetForums Member

Hi there,
    I've been asked to rehome a Golden Retriever and a 7 month old Sprocker Spaniel male. I've always had goldies so have no issues with taking him but I've never had a sprocker and can't seem to find very much info on the breed online. I'm sure they are a very high energy breed and demand a lot of exercise, which is no problem for me, but I was more interested in any health issues they may be prone to or just any useful information about owning the breed.

Many thanks,

Vonnie.

2. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

It'll probably be as mad as a hatter considering it's a cocker x springer, will require very long walks, no doubt it'll be highly intelligent, with springer stubborness, well our springer is very stubborn anyway. As for health tests I can only say look up Springer spaniels then cocker spaniels.

Be prepared forever picking foliage out of their coats. Do you know if the parents were health tested?

Btw would love to see some pics of them both.:)

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

The couple that i meet are always charging about like loonies. :crazy:

There isn't a huge difference between cockers and springers to be honest you get energetic ones and laid back ones in both breeds but both breeds are "busy" dogs and need decent walks and like any of the gundog breeds a reasonable level of mental stimulation. They are different to Goldies though so be prepared ;)

I have spoken to a few people who now own Goldies but had Cockers in the past and they have all said they would never swap back to haaving spaniels having owned a Goldie.

4. SiobhanG

SiobhanG PetForums Member

Unfortunately there isn't much info about the Sprocker however the Retriever has wonderful health results that I've confirmed on the KC website so I'm hoping the owners were as responsible when choosing the Sprocker pup as they were with him.

5. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Cockers and springers started out as the same breed. The smaller of the pups being selected for working woodcock and the larger for springing game, so basically the same. Sorry, that's probably not much help.

6. PippaM

PippaM PetForums Newbie

Hi Vonnie,

The main problem that people have with springers is a loss of control out on walks. This is due to the strong hunting instinct, especially in working bred springers. The problem occurs in cockers too, but far less frequently.

Many working bred springers end up in rescue for this reason.

Provided that you are willing to interact with the dog (games, training etc) whist out of doors and work hard on recall, you will be fine. People come unstuck when they want to relax on the walk and let the dog do its own thing.

Spaniels need more supervision than some other breeds, but they are also very affectionate and responsive to training

Good luck with your dogs.
    Pippa

7. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I definitely find that I interact more than most with my dogs on walks, which is fine as that is what i wanted, they will not just pootle along by your side.

We have ours ball obsessed and so far so good with the running off after game, but we work hard and stay vigilant when out. It is all an absolute pleasure and exactly what we wanted in dogs. You will need to like muck and mud and be out in all weathers. Springer x cockers can take heavily after either or be a complete mix, i have seem some wildly different ones over the last couple of years, one of whom makes my springers look tiny.

8. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Aww mines not mad as a hatter, he's perfect.
    I don't know if ive just been lucky but he is fantastic, he will of course get more of a handful if he doesn't get the amount of exercise he needs.. he's full of character and lives to please.
    He also adores GRs they seem tobe his favourite play things :lol:
    Of course it must depend on what traits they have from each breed, thankfully Jack isn't very stubborn :)
    As already said I researched both breeds tobe the safe side.. Best of luck and piccies please if you go ahead :)

#8 XxZoexX, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. missbunga

missbunga PetForums Newbie

Hello

I have a male sprocker puppy he is just under 4 months and I picked him up 3 weeks ago. I have to say he is as good as gold. Yes he does get bouts of energy when he runs around like a mad thing but as a puppy I would not think anything less of him. He does not mess in the house and usually does not go until he goes for a walk. He will go in the garden if I am a little bit late in taking him out. He is learning very quickly and he so loving and loyal. I am glad I made the choice that I have.

#9 missbunga, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  10. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

I have a springer and a goldie, both from proven working lines, The springer is just what you'd expect from a working dog, high energy, strong hunting instinct, exactly what I want in a spaniel that will soon be starting out on his first season as a gun dog. The retreiver is very much the same, the same high drive, far removed from the goldie that you would see in a show, both dogs need to have their working instincts satisfied or they become bored. Providing you do this then they are fine, biddable dogs, I wouldn't be without mine, but for once forget that they are , at heart, working dogs then you may encounter all the problems that boredom can bring. Keep them stimulated and you'd not find a better, more loyal companion than a spaniel, or for that matter a retreiver. Good luck.

Attached Files:

11. MV Owner

MV Owner PetForums Junior

beautiful dogs, fantastic

12. Sprocker Dave

Sprocker Dave PetForums Member

I have an 18 week old Sprocker. He's full of energy, easy to please, loving, tons of character, but also needs a firm hand, lots of mental stimulation along with exercise and patience.

We wouldn't be without him :001_wub:

13. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Just a general Q.
    What does a 'firm hand' mean? just wondering becuase I hear itquite alot and don't know what it means! :)

14. Sprocker Dave

Sprocker Dave PetForums Member

Firstly, apologies - I've only just seen that you asked a question.

'Firm Hand' - to me it doesn't mean anything physical, just that you need a fair amount of consistent training and discipline.

We've worked really hard with our Sprocker - he was quite hard work for a few weeks early on, pushing boundries etc, but he always responded well to lots of short training sessions (and still does). We also went through quite an uncomfortable stage of nipping etc which needed the 'firm hand'. Time out's, making sure we didn't give in to him just because we were tired, consistency and patience.

It's all really paying off though - he's becoming a really good dog, and a pleasure to have in the family. Don't get me wrong - he has his moments, he's still a puppy and a spaniel at that, he's got all of the usual traits - good and bad :)

We've had him for nearly 15 weeks now and he's turned our lives upside down, but also enriched our lives - wouldn't be without him :D