Springer Spaniel Wetting Problem

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SuzieBoo, Nov 5, 2013.

1. SuzieBoo

SuzieBoo PetForums Newbie

Hello!

My 5 month old Springer Spaniel wets herself in her sleep. It's not something she does all the time but I would say she does it around once a week.
    Can anyone suggest something to help?

2. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

Think you need to have the vet check her out. There is medication that can help (propalin)

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Anything different on these nights or a pattern, like maybe you go to bed earlier and she doesn't have a last wee so late at night? At 5months shes still pretty young to be 100% reliable on toilet training often at this age you still need to remind them as they don't think for themselves yet all the time. So it may be if her bladders full and she doesn't go 0ut for a last pee late enough she gets caught out in the night.

There is a condition mostly seen in older spayed bitches where they develop urinary spinchter incompetence, for want of a better description the spinchter becomes lax and instead of being water tight it lets urine leak through. In older bitches you can get medication to stop it like propylin and incurin and urilin which works in different ways. Sometimes the cause of older spayed bitches doing it is hormone dependant.

It might be something that improves with age, but its deffinately worth speaking to your vet about and maybe taking a urine sample just to have it tested.

4. SuzieBoo

No, nothing different, she's done it while napping during the day too! She has a lot of puppy dreams so we thought it may have something to do with that but unsure.
    Yes, I think a trip to the vets will have to be in order.

Thanks guys :)

5. Cheryl89

Cheryl89 PetForums VIP

My girl is a year now and still wets herself, but does this because she's impatient and knows it gets her fuss :lol:

Hope your doggy will be okay xx

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have you noticed anything different as regards her toileting habits that co-incided with it when the wetting in her sleep started? Things like she started peeing in larger quantities and more frequently too, and maybe even drinking a bit more then usual? If its something that she hasn't always done and seemed to start suddenly and continue particularly if you noticed other changes too, then she may even have a bit of a urinary tract infection. They tend to lose control with UTIs too.

Puppies when smaller do need to pee a lot more due to the size and limited capacity of their bladders, but that improves with age. If you noticed an improvement and shes gone back to peeing more in frequency and quantity in general again then that could be the problem. Certainly worth getting the vet to check her over a take a urine sample with you to test.

7. sopott

sopott PetForums Senior

what are you feeding her?

snoopy will wet himself if he gets so much as a smidgeon of celery from anywhere. celery is a diuretic, as are dandelion, and nettle for example...

8. SuzieBoo

No she goes to the toilet as she always has done, she was very quick to house train, we've only ever really had accidents when she's asleep.

We feed her Pedigree Chum wet and dry, and she gets standard puppy treats when she does her business outside. Both are things we've always done. She does like to eat plants and whatnot while on her walks though.

9. Mandwah

Mandwah PetForums Newbie

My spaniel was wetting herself occasionally in her sleep and also weeing when I bent down to pat her or if she got excited. Was diagnosed as having urinary incontinence which was easily fixed by giving her 1 tablet a day. Called Incurin. It wasn't 100% successful at first so vet increased dose so all the seeing has stopped apart from the occasional excitement accident.
    She was always weeing when excited or if I wanted to make a fuss of her etc even as a young dog. I got her spade at 2 yrs and the only thing that changed was that she started to do this occasionally in her sleep. The Incurin made a big difference and took a few months to settle down and become dry.