sore and dry cracked paws

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by haddon63.5, Mar 28, 2011.

1. haddon63.5

haddon63.5 PetForums Newbie

Mar 28, 2011
    hi can anyone give me some advise, i have 2 wonderful 13 month old cats i have had from 12 weeks old, they are mine and my husbands babies, our male cat called smokey had started to hold his paw's up on inspection his paws are all dry and scabby and the tip of his nose also looks dry and scabby, as if they have been burned ... his sister's paws are fine .... has anyone seen this before and if so what can i put on this paws to help him ...
  2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

May 31, 2010
    Hi welcome to the forum.My only advice is to make an appointment at the vet and have him checked.It is possible he has been somewhere he shouldnt have been ,is he an outdoor cat?He may have walked in a corrosive substance or indeed burned them on a hot surface.
  3. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Dec 14, 2009
    I agree with Buffie. Another thought: If your cat spends time indoors, have you got the central heating on? The heat can dry the air out which could be why his paws and nose are dry and cracked. A trip to the vets to have him checked is ideal, just in case.

I found that pure Aloe Vera gel does wonders with sore or dry skin. I prefer the 100% aloe stuff which can be hard to find - so many "human" gels and creams often have other chemicals in, which I'd rather not give to an animal.

This is the stuff I use: Aloe Vera Gel 250ml, 5l (Barrier brand) :: Horse Products :: Animal Medication Direct
    I put some on my cat's paw twice a day when he had dry/burned a paw-pad last summer. The skin was back to normal in less than a week :D I swear by the stuff!
  4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Mar 12, 2010
    Oh I swear by the same stuff as Vampyria! Fancy that! ;) :D

And I agree with the ladies before me that this should get checked out by the vet. Might just be the central heating, might not be.