Soil and goldfish. Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants & Planted Aquariums' started by Hannahbee, May 1, 2017.

1. Hannahbee

Hannahbee PetForums Junior

I'm looking to start a planted aquarium and have my heart set on a carpeted grassy look. Is this impossible with fancy goldfish? I hear soil would be too messy but I'm not sure of other options that would be good for things like java moss to grow on.

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I've never used a soil substrate in a tank, but from what I understand there are two different types: complete and base layers. Complete substrates can be used alone, whereas a base layer needs to be capped with a layer of sand/gravel on top or they will muddy up your water.

I can't see the latter one working with goldfish as they love to forage in the substrate for food, so I can imagine them digging right through the top layer and making a huge mess. A complete one should work, but I think the main issue will be the fish simply eating the plants. My goldfish eat anything green that they can, and anything they can't they just tear apart!

https://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=guide-to-substrates

kittih and Hannahbee like this.
  3. Hannahbee

Hannahbee PetForums Junior

Thanks! I'll go for that complete substrate, I have a few plants in with my goldfish at the moment and they have a little nibble but haven't completely destroyed any yet (although the same cant be said for the small amount of moss I tried growing on some wood)