Shih Tzu Yelping??? Please Help

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by robynkariss, Jan 11, 2013.

1. robynkariss

robynkariss PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have a 5 year old male shih tzu. Ive only had him for about 6 months, he is my baby. He has been fine all day today, climbing, eating, drinking, his normal self.
    I decided to take him over the park, which we do regular. He had bowel movement and starting yelping?! Ive never seen him do this before! He then had another bowel movement and the same again? I calmed him down and brought him home.
    I thought maybe he might have stomach ache, and id just keep an eye on him. then i noticed he wouldnt jump on the sete? Which he always does fine. I left him, he went to jump onto the chair and yelped again. So now i think it may be his legs/paw?
    He isnt acting himself at all since weve come home, his lay on his bed, which he doesnt do in the day normally. He wont let me look at this paws/legs? (however he is normally funny about this). Ive been watching him and he keeps licking/cleaning his back legs.

Im so worried. Im thinking its proberly nothing, but im still very worried ive never seen him act this way before! Please any advice?

2. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome! hun :) Sorry your wee one is not too happy, I'm no expert and as you know your own baby, but! i would be inclined to give your Vet a ring for advice they may want to have a look at him. He must be in some sort of pain from somewhere. Hope it's nothing serious let us know how you get on.

3. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Could possibly be an anal gland infection/problem. I would definitely take him to the Vets - you can't be too careful and if he's in pain..... good luck!

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Have you checked in between his pads to rule out anything in them like a grass spear etc.? Feel around his anal area too, the glands are situated at 4 & 8 o'clock, such as on a clock face and you'll feel a swollen one. Anal gland abscesses are very painful so it could be he has a blocked on. I would call the vet because the weekend is approaching and you don't want the worry or the charge of an 'out of hours' visit. Hope he's okay poor boy.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Possible he has pulled something or strained a muscle, but as he yelped too on defeacating he could also have blocked or painful anal glands. They should empty naturally but some dogs can get blocked and become impacted which is painful If he is that misterable and actig out of character then I would get him checked over. It could be as said just a sprain or strain, but they can be painful and with some anti inflammatory painkillers it can make all the differerence.