Shar pei question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by canuckjill, Oct 16, 2009.

1. canuckjill

canuckjill Moderator
    Staff Member

Why are these dogs bred if they have to have their eyes tacked and at what age do they do that and where abouts above the eye or to the side. Just interested as I just saw an ad for some and it said eyes will be tacked if necessary. Does this mean they have so much skin they cant see and will they have the tacking removed later?....Jill

found the info I was looking for....Jill

#1 canuckjill, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

Its called Entropion and dogs with this condition should never be bred as it is genetic to an extent. The Shar pei is not a very healthy breed as it is, so those who breed responsibly are few and far inbetween. :(

3. canuckjill

canuckjill Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks I finally did find some info. I was just curious after reading 2 ads advertising Shar peis with Tacking done if needed and the poor pups could hardly see. I found it most disturbing myself. Again thanks for the name...Jill

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Shar peis that need their eyes tacked shouldn't be bred from but its the wrinkles that cause a lot of the problem. They have awful health issues but because the puppies have all the cute wrinkles people go and buy them from dodgy breeders.