Separation anxiety/car sickness +

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Buck34_7, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Buck34_7

Buck34_7 PetForums Newbie

Hi, we have an English golden cocker spaniel puppy who's 9 months old.
    There's a lot of history however the main issues now are just that he hates to be left and will cry whimper and howl, and he is sick after only a mile or so in the car meaning i cant take him with me.

I bought a dog crate as he will chew the house if unsupervised but I've never used one before and know better than to just lock him in it.
    At the moment the doors open and he can go in and out to get his toys till he gets used to it.

All hints or tips regarding the above greatly appreciated.

Kind regards Buck

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Look at the Stickies at the front of this section on Crate Training and Separation Anxiety - lots of tips.

ouesi likes this.
  3. Buck34_7

I read those however they seem to be more to pre empt problems rather than fix existing ones.
    That said i will read again.
    Thank you.

4. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Personally i think the best way to deal with both problems is to start with little and often. By that i mean, take the dog for a very short drive, say 5 mins and build the time up gradually. The same with being left alone. Hope this helps.

5. Buck34_7

I agree and I'm trying to make the crate fun, throwing toys in it for him to fetch etc however i do need to go out on school runs and need to know that him and the house are safe and sadly he has to be left at times.
    At the moment he will bark, whimper and howl (kind of) till i get back.
    I think he tries to take his own mind off being alone by chewing stuff but apart from the damage there's a chance he could get a mains lead or something and get hurt.
    As for the car it's a bmw 3 series saloon not a hatchback or estate so difficult to clean so I only take him in it when i must. However if he was ok in the car it would aid me while I addressed the anxiety issue.
    He really is one of the most loving and friendly dogs you could ever wish to meet, but we BOTH need help.

Thanks.

Ps I'll post a pic when I can.

6. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

If you want your dog to get use to going in the car it needs to get use to it. As for cleaning, why not put something over the seat?

7. Buck34_7

I do use old curtains and that kind of thing, and i don't feed him before a trip. He hates it so much though he froths at the mouth and brings up flem. The cover on the seats tend not to stay in place or he'll be sick off the seat in the foot wells.
    If he were a child they'd get sea sick pills, is there nothing for dogs?

8. Buck34_7

Sorry he's got his chew toy.

Attached Files:

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Whilst you are training him with the crate try putting a baby gate up on the kitchen door so he can't chew wires, etc. Leave the crate in there, pinned open, with a comfy bed, Kong, chew, radio on, etc. while you pop out to do the school run.

That way, he won't associate the crate with anything negative.

I assume walking with him to school isn't an option, for now?

Try popping him into the car for a couple of minutes, praise and treat and get out again without driving anywhere. Do this every day for a few and then increase the time, start the engine, reverse off the drive and back in, etc.

I made a seat cover for the car out of a rubber backed picnic mat. Two loops on the back to attach over the headrests, a slit for the seatbelt to go through, and you could create a "hammock" by attaching to the back of the front headrests too to protect the floor/front seat backs.

With these things, going right back to basics as if he were a tiny pup and building the times back up very slowly can break the negative associations.

If they cry/bark/stress, basically you are going too fast.

10. Buck34_7

I forgot to mention that i cant even go to the toilet and close the door, or any room really without him getting upset/anxious. After only 30 secs he gets all excited like I've been gone hours!
    Distractions don't really work either, oh and it's the same in the car. He's the same with other people to, they also can't leave him so it's not exclusive to me.

Attached Files:

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Don't know what to suggest really. :(

What about sitting on the loo with the door open and throwing a ball for him? If you can manage to throw it far enough that he has to go out of sight to retrieve it, he might forget about you as such, and concentrate on the game?

Do some obedience training perhaps and do a sit, stay and pop out into the hall and then straight back - reward, praise, release? So he sees it as training rather than being left?

Probably daft suggestions, but just clutching at straws really! ;)

12. Buck34_7

There are no daft ideas, i want and need ALL suggestions so if something doesn't work i can modify it or try something else.
    I've had dogs since 1977 (age 7) and had a variety of problems with some over the years. Still I've forgotten loads and times change and better training methods and our understanding of animals, not to mention diets and so on.
    I just want him to realise that the car won't hurt him and always takes him to the green stuff he likes (grass at the park) and many dogs and people to say hello.
    But also that I/we will ALWAYS come back.
    I have a dog crate for if i have to leave him but have never used one before, his bed is in it and some toys that he'll go in and take out. But once locked in it he'll bark whimper and howl till i get back.
    The car i guess/hope in time he'll get used to. Meanwhile when I've the time I'll put him in it for 5-10 mins and just play with him and a toy, as suggested up there ^ ^
    On the bright side he's otherwise a very happy healthy puppy and extremely loving with some weired and funny personality traits.

Thank you ALL for your replies

13. Buck34_7

*Update* 30/03/17

Hi just a little update about Charlie, he now happily goes in and out of his crate getting his toys and stuff that he wants to play with it a drink, and has even gone in the crate/cage and slept with the door open.
    When i put him in it in the mornings/afternoon's while i nip to school he barks/whimpers or howls but on my return he's usually fast asleep and doesn't even realise that I'm back (the TV's left on) so that seems pretty good. IMG-20170315-WA0008.jpeg IMG_20170315_184351.jpg

I hate leaving him so hope the crying stops soon, though while I'm in the house he still follows me from room to room, even the toilet !
    Not put him in the car yet as I'm tackling one problem at a time.
    My typical routine Monday to Friday is i get up at 06:30 and feed him his kibble while the kettles boiling, i drink my tea then we go out for a 30 min walk during that time he'll do his wee and usually poop.
    Around 08:00 i put him in his crate and take my son to school and usually visit subway for a coffee or two then home and let him out of the crate.
    Around 12pm i take him for a longer walk to exercise him and toilet if needed.
    14:20 i put him in his crate while i go collect my son from school then home.
    Between 17:00 and 18:30 i give him his tea when we have ours and then between 19;00 and 20:00pm i take him for his last walk which can be 30 min to an hour depending on the weather etc, during which he goes toilet again but sometimes only does a wee it two. Around 22:00 we go bed and he sleeps on the floor or the bottom of the bed, though he does sometimes sneak under my quilt lol.

What do you think of the routine?

Regards Buck

14. Buck34_7

Ps the following link taken from the sticky "how to help a dog with anxiety"
    Hutch6 gave this fantastic piece of advice for getting your dog happy for you to be out of sight, and teaching that you always come back

http://www.petforums.co.uk/1666248-post8.html

Doesn't work for me

Regards Buck

#14 Buck34_7, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  15. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

If it's definitely travel sickness as opposed to anxiety/stress then give him Stugeron. One tablet a good hour before travelling and no need to give any more for the rest of the day. It's perfectly safe for dogs and my 7 mth old puppy had a tablet this morning before a 45 minute journey. I've used it for years. You can get it from any chemist, but don't say it's for a dog.