Selective hearing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Julesky, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

So.... now in week 2 of Bruno's off lead walks- his recall was brilliant- during dog play/exploring etc.

Now he can pretend he doesn't hear me if he sees a dog.. will run over, see if it's up for a game... then come back to me ( i should state he is ALL about the game- some dogs we've met have told him off for trying to play and he's taken it, he is non reactive off lead)

Advice? Will keep up our training/find something really high reward... should we keep him on lead until he's solid?

He is only let off in a safe place in the park and woods... in thicker cover he goes exploring but always return immediately when asked.... in the wide open spaces is when he's a bit more bold recently........

What did you do when your dog became temporarily deaf?:D

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Worked even hard at the training.

Put him back on the lead if he's going to ignore you when there are other dogs around. The more they practice 'selective hearing' the better they get at it.

3. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

Have you got a long line? That will let him have more freedom than a lead to be able to sniff and wander a little further but you can bring him back when you call. This reinforces the recall and you can remain calm and treat as normal etc.

This is what I did with my first dog and it worked a charm during her 'teenage' deaf phase :)

Good luck with what ever you try!

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Is it possible that in the 2 weeks of him behaving fantastically you have stopped trying so hard? ;)

It's easy to get complacent but behaviours can reverse and escalate.. training is a never ending thing. And although I said it before I got Louie, I never truly believed it until I got him and got frustrated at Class and balled my eyes out - then a friend said to me "Look we're still training and my dogs are nearly 5"..But it's a bl*ody good job I enjoy training :D

I'm also having to go back and remind my eldest, Sadie of her manners. And Benjie is still a work in progress but we're getting somewhere!

5. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

And you don't want this!

Another thing that I missed out - take him to a class, I started going so I could gain more focus over Louie than what other dogs did. It has worked to an extent but is situational.. most of my problems with Louie are. So you have to practice behaviours and training EVERYWHERE :)

6. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Hmmm interesting one... I would say I don't think I have... infact as well as his general recall I started getting him to sit, treat, wait then give him a release 'on you go', so he was developing self control plus direction with us, he still does this.

His recall is still ok and it's not all dogs... ones he's seen before or had a game with mainly (or ones that resemble them ;)... hang on, that's quite a lot of dogs ;)

We're doing loads in house, on leaded walks, at class etc..... But sometimes he just gets too excited- then it's like he remembers, comes back and stays right by my side.

We use long line in the wide open... he works well on it- but we do let him off it to play once he's calmed?

Thanks all! Novice dog owner of adolescent rescue!

7. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

We've had him at class since we got him (10months)- no one knew what age he was- he's a stray, approx 1 when we got him.

He's passed his bronze and silver good citizen... trust me, we're on the highs and lows of training and we know it's a 'for life' thing! I remember well the frustration in the early days- so with you!!!!

Ok doke- back to on- lead for Bruno then....

Tell me, do you think it's ok to then still let him off to play? I enjoy him having fun, think it's good mentally for him. Thing is 100% we have never had a problem calling him away from a dog game, even if they're having super fun.

I worry i'm giving mixed messages to him?

Thanks again all:D

8. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

Personally, I would let him play as I think it is good for them too. If you know the other dog is friendly and up for a game then why not?

The recall is needed for situations where another dog is on lead and you are unsure if it is old, had an operation or DA. I always recalled my dog before releasing for play time and didn't think it was mixed messages. Many people regard a dog just running up to an onlead dog bad manners and with my present dog I wouldn't appreciate it as she is DR and on lead for that reason and it is for this reason a solid recall is needed IMO.

9. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I always make my dogs sit and stay when I let them offlead. They have to sit whilst I take the lead off, stay sat whilst I go through the gate and then I might walk away from them, or I might release them straight away.. The reward is being allowed to play with other dogs or go and sniff that tree over there. But I have found it gages what mood they're in and how focused they are.

Some times I will make Louie heel past other dogs (onlead or off) or I'll make him sit, down and stand whilst the other dog goes past. And if it's a dog we know, he just has to lie down and stay whilst they approach.. we're still working on it and he is still young so his impulse control is a little lacking in some places.

Sounds like you are doing fine and if you say you haven't gotten complacent.. then he's probably pushing his boundaries to see what he can get away with.. so just go back and remind him of basics. :)

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes of course let him off to play and no you're not giving mixed messages - he's allowed to play when you give him permission.

On the same tack, I took my little rescue pup to the training class yesterday and everyone was asking me to show them what training I've been doing with her. I refused because I knew damn well that if I let her off the lead she would immediately ignore me and go and say hello to them all, which is the last thing I want.

I had a small 'breakthrough' this morning though - every morning for the past 8 weeks the pup has been playing with my youngster for about half an hour in the lounge whilst I watch the news (they go absolutely mad) but this morning she played with me and ignored Tremor, much to Tremor's disgust...!! Its only a tiny step but a significant one in her training.

11. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Bluebeagle... absolutely agree

I would be MORTIFIED if he was bothering on-lead dogs.
    It's just out and out unfair- for whatever reason they're on a lead.

See here's my issue... right after he buggered off to see a choc lab (off lead) that lives 2 doors down (but met it in the park) they've never met off lead before.. he came right back...

I continued walking, played a bit of fetch, which he does beautifully... walked a bit, called him, sat him treated with chicken and praise... asked him to wait... released him.... off he went sniffing- turning back to check i'm coming or where i am (he sometimes snuffles in the ditches by the river)...

We came to where 2 paths cross before contiuing on ours... this bit I know is busy- bikes, walkers, joggers, dogs etc.
    Called him, heeled him, threw the ball once over.

there were 2 dogs a black lab and a wee fluffy... black lab was on lead

He ignored them both!!!

I swear he's messing with my mind

We then met his black lab indy and he had a wee play before sitting around at my feet whilst I talked to her owner...

Sorry if this post is confusing- sometimes he gives me so much reason to trust him!!

12. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Thanks SLB and all posters!

yeah I do the exact same with the sit and wait before getting off and again on his recalls.. it's all impulse control since we got him!

I think me and the OH will have to have a wee chat too- I know I don't always do things perfectly with bruno but I have a feeling we're not reinforcing the same when out individually (we went a walk together yesterday- the dog pretty much ignored him, but when he called him would come back to me- even if he had the treat?) So easy to blame him :), thank goodness he's not on here.

Just soooo frustrating when you think he's there.. then we mess up and set him back!!

13. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Have you ever thought the dogs are telling him something we can't understand? ;)

They do talk you know - body language is an excellent thing! And I do believe with dogs like ours (because they sound very similar) learning more about dog body language gives us the advantage.

14. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

To me it sounds like normal dog behaviour and you are working on the training so I would relax a little. It sounds like it will get there and as somebody said training is lifelong.

I would be pleased with his progress so far and maybe a few days on lead will remind him of the basics etc.

15. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

ha ha too true...

Relaxation alert..

Just so hard when you want to do them right but don't speak their lingo...
    feel so responsible for his wee, stupidly carefree face.

Bless him.

16. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

As long as you are consistent in what you do and your OH in what he does, then Bruno will learn what he can do with each of you. Louie is different with me than with my OH, as is Benjie - and Sadie just goes with it.

Louie will behave for me, well sometimes, will do training with me etc, but for the OH, little things and only if he has food - if he has nothing then he does nothing because OH wasn't interested in training when he was little and isn't now, he pulls like a steam train with OH - because he's let him.. But because I haven't let him get away with things - he is different with me. Benjie on the other hand, doesn't react to other dogs so much with me - because I can't stand it, I've dealt with it and he's getting MUCH better, OH and in laws - a night mare with them, they haven't tried and just lived with it.

I learnt recently not to worry so much about what people do with them.. however that doesn't stretch to training - I refuse to let other people train them - they mess up commands etc.. So if this is what you're worried about - then definately - you need to be on the same page! It is a nightmare for me to walk the dogs with my OH - I don't like how he does things.. so we just don't walk the dogs together. We go on our own walks without them.. less stress.

17. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

If I had a pound for every argument we've had at dog training class or walk together over how to do something, I'd be a very rich woman!

He has good points as well as his bad ones. He's so laid back sometimes he's horizontal... but to be fair most of the dog owners around here are to...

we get a lot of

'just let him off'
    'what's recall?'
    'dogs will sort it out themselves'
    'ach he's just full of play- he'll grow out of that'

Lovely people.... but my goodness.

18. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

p.s Twiggy... nice work.