Saluki vs irish wolfhound

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by wild horses, Mar 21, 2011.

1. wild horses

wild horses PetForums Newbie

Although im a horsewoman i always have dogs for companionship, guarding and farmwork.

im in the process of looking at getting a new puppy

Either a saluki or a irish wolfhound.

Anyone owned either breed or had experiance with them and could tell me a little bit more about them?

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I don't know much about salukis but irish wolfhounds are one of my favourite breeds

Very laid back, nice temperments gentle giants really. Love everyone, make awful guard dogs. They do shed and drool though and can't be let off lead normally. Not so good with small furry things either but I would guess that would be the same with salukis.

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

A Saluki wont make an effective guard for anything except his favourite chair

4. wild horses

Yes i heard that about wolfhounds drooling alot, not so good on long car rides to horse shows, if they fit in the car that is!:001_smile:

Not to worried about either breed chasing anything, as all we have is rabbits, and a flock of geese that have taught many puppies not to chase birds from an early age! Also had a bit of experiance with greyhounds so canhandle the hound aspect and am used to it

i do however want something that will be able to come out on the trails with me on my horses

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They are sighthounds. While I remember reading about wolfhounds that were trained as herding dogs most do still have prey drive and you will have to take a lot of time training them not to. I wouldn't have them offlead and not on the trail with a horse until at least two so you don't damage their joints. But I'm sure they'd be happy to run alongside the horse onlead. They're not guard dogs except maybe for their size making people a bit wary they might lick the intruder to death or knock them over while trying to greet them but they are friendly with everyone

#5 Nicky10, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Ooow i'd love an Irish Wollfhound, have only met a couple and they were wonderful! :)

7. wild horses

So are salukis couch potatoes?? i heard they were origanlly work dogs?

Not to worried about the guarding aspects as we have other dogs, although i think a wolfhound would add some intimdation factor even if they were just runing out to lick you!!

8. hawksport

hawksport Banned

IMO you couldn't choose a less suitable breed for your purpose than a Saluki.
    They are suspicious of strangers like a guardian breed should be but most will run away rather than stand up to an intruder.
    IMO the chase instinct is much deeper ingrained into them than for eg. Greyhounds and Whippets and is harder to train out of them.
    If you are in the UK for seven months of the year it will be too cold for them to potter around a farm yard. They need warmth, even the Islamic Bedoin let the Salukis sleep inside at night.
    They are beautiful dogs though.

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. wild horses

Im not in the UK, live in a very temperate climate (thank god).

i used to ride out with greyhounds all the time, and as long as you not an idiot and ride them into places infested with small animals, i never had a problem they happily came along with the horses just fine, i found them to be extremly loyal to. apart from the farm dogs (working dogs, blue heelers) i have a grehound/collie cross that i love, i want some thing just to be a loyal freind to come every with me, which this dog is but is getting a bit old.

10. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I vote Saluki cause I think there beautiful.

11. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Salukis are stunning and their fur is so soft which I didn't expect until I got to pet one but aren't they like the ultimate sighthound? I would think you would have a lot of difficulty letting them offlead.

12. hawksport

hawksport Banned

There's a big big difference between a Greyhound/Collie bred lurcher and a Saluki
    With your experience and with what you want the dog to do a GSD would be perfect. I don't believe there is anything a Gsd can't be trained to do.

13. wild horses

Whats a GSD??

14. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

German Shepherd Dog

15. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

wild horses
    I answered your other thread before I saw this one.....Doh!

16. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

I would suggest GSD or Dally :D

17. wild horses

Sorry i hate german sheperds not my breed at all!
    I know they are excellant guard dogs though!

Okay if i take the guarding aspect out as i know neither wolfies or salukis are known for their guarding abilities

what can anyone tell me about each breed??

18. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

My first lurcher was a saluki cross, someone told me they have a habit of going deaf when running and they do. So teach the stop command they will run forever. He did :p Beautiful dogs but so to are the wolfhounds. Heart would say wolfhound (shorter life:( ) head saluki

19. wild horses

Thanks great to know someone had a saluki lurcher and they were fine!! yes sad thing about big dogs even though i really love them they do die sooner :(

20. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My friend has 5 salukis 3 of which she bred the other 2 are their mothers. She does free run hers but she does have to be carefull were she runs them as they will take off and chase anything and they can see something so far away that you will not be able to see it.

They were bred to hunt in the deserts and were often gone of hunting all day only returning when they had caught their prey. They can be difficult to train as they are stubborn and only do what they want to do. I also have a friend who is a saluki cross and he is a working dog brilliant rabbiter and has a good recall but also has the ability to go death when he wants too.