r.i.p oscar

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by shamus, Mar 6, 2016.

1. shamus

shamus PetForums Junior

I have lost nans and granddads and don't mean to sound disrespectful but this hurts so much more.

Calvine likes this.
  2. Sophie17

Sophie17 PetForums Member

Many of us feel the same way. Our pets are so close to us.

shamus likes this.
  3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

They are. I found one of my cats dead on a neighbours drive at the age of six. One minute she was sitting watching me wash my bicycle, then when she didn't come in that night I started worrying and found her a couple of hours later. No obvious injuries, just as if she was having a snooze.

I think because we spend so much time with them, it's difficult to let go when they are gone. I sort of understand the grandparents thing too, although all mine were gone before I turned 21 and that's a while back so maybe it's me that's changed.

I'm glad you are feeling a little better now. But it can take a while.

shamus likes this.
  4. shamus

shamus PetForums Junior

he was a really funny boy,here he had ripped the stuffing out of his bed and I caught him in the act,hes trying so hard not to look guilty,god bless him.

Attached Files:

5. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

Aww, that's a lovely pic of Oscar,such a handsome boy.. He looks so angelic there, as if to say, honsetly it wasn't me , bless him. Another happy memory for you and your family to cherish.
    Take care.x

shamus likes this.
  6. shamus

shamus PetForums Junior

thanks honeys mum,things are getting easier , my talking with blue cross has been about sharing good memories and talking about my boy,the one thing that plays over and over in my head is why my boy what did he ever do to deserve this?

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

He did nothing to deserve it and neither did you, also it was nothing that he or you did that caused it. Some things when they become ill we can fix or at least manage with medical help to relieve symptoms and give a good quality of life and to give them longer with us. Some things we cant make them better or even give medication to help relieve symptoms and give them longer or not much time anyway. No one, human or animal deserves to become ill, sometimes its just the genetics we have been dealt pure and simple, some people, dogs, any animal or all living creatures for that matter will be lucky and be dealt healthy genes for a long and healthy life, some are not so lucky.

My youngest who was from a rescue litter born in the RSPCA, of the four that survived there is only one who so far at not long turned seven has escaped ill health.
    Her and two of the others have a genetically predisposed condition, one of the three was also born with liver shunt, the other brother died at 5 years sadly and unexpectedly with kidney failure, likely due to the fact that he was born with something called renal dysplasia where the kidneys don't fully develop. She is a cross breed like your boy was, so even that cannot save them and the so called genetic diversity, they will become what is passed on to them and that goes for all things including health and longevity

Its hard to bear especially when we lose them in younger years and they don't even make true older age. All we can do is love and cherish them and give them the best lives we can while they are with us, in the hope it will be longer time as possible.

Sophie17, Matrod, Honeys mum and 2 others like this.
  8. shamus

shamus PetForums Junior

thanks sled dog hotel,made me feel a bit better thanks so much

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  9. Sled dog hotel

Glad it helped. So many feelings hit you, they are hard to cope with, and not just the loss and sadness either. It also seems quite common or for some to beat yourself up too. I know I have found something everytime and friends have too to question yourself and put yourself through it, even when I know I'm beaten by the illness or condition and there wasn't any other choice but to make the decision to set them free from any pain and suffering. So if you are doing anything like that aswell, then it is perfectly normal and I like most I know have found it is just part of the grieving process. Talking about how you feel can help though and I'm pleased that its helping you.

10. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

11. shamus

shamus PetForums Junior

one week on I have stopped the really loud outbursts of crying but a new thing happened this morning I had a panic attack and thought I was having a heart attack,i came down stairs this morning and just became so overwhelmed.

12. shamus

shamus PetForums Junior

well its been just over two weeks and I still cry from time to time,i have bought a new pup a little Labrador hes so cute and it has helped me fill the emptiness in the house but I feel so guilty about having him,but he isn't to replace Oscar as he was too special have I done the wrong thing?

ZoeM likes this.
  13. Sled dog hotel

What you are now worrying about and asking have I done the wrong thing, is something a lot of people feel, when they lose a dog and get another, its also something that stops many people from getting another too, or sometimes for a very long time.

Feeling guilty or disloyal to your other dog that you have lost is a very common feeling to have for a lot of people. Fact is that each dog is special and individual in their own way, like you say he isn't to replace Oscar, you cant replace Oscar even if you wanted too, because every dog is special an individual and we learn to love them for who they are, so a lost very cherished and loved dog can never be replaced. It doesn't mean though that you shouldn't or cant ever love again and want to share your life with another dog who will be special for him or herself and be loved just as much eventually.

Oscar I'm sure had a very happy life with you, and didnt want for anything, I'm sure too he knew how much he was loved and loved you as much in return. I'm sure too that he wouldn't want you to be sad and feel your life was empty without him, and wouldn't mind in the least that you now have another little pup who needs a good and loving home and will help you fill your life again.

Don't feel guilty or feel you have done the wrong thing. Oscar was a big part of your life, he will still be remembered and loved even though he is no longer with you. No one can take that away ever. I wish you and the new puppy lots of love and happiness and I'm sure Oscar would too.

shamus likes this.
  14. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

Please don't feel guilty because you have a new puppy, as Sdh says you haven't done anything wrong.You have done what is best for you, and you haven't replaced Oscar by getting another puppy.

Oscar was very special in his own way, as your new puppy will be eventually.Oscar was a very much loved dog, and had a very happy life with you, and his memories will always be with you forever., he wouldn't want you to be unhappy.

I wish you many happy times with your new baby, who will I'm sure given time will enrich your life as your lovely boy did.

shamus likes this.
  15. shamus

shamus PetForums Junior

thankyou so much for your kind words you have made me feel better,i think I will always miss Oscar and theres nothing I can do to help that and its something I will have to learn to deal with till the day we meet again. many thanks for all your support from you guys you have helped me a lot and I know theres going to be more bad days ahead but I am feeling stronger than I was.i have never experienced such loss as this and again am truly greatful for all your help.

16. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

So to hear of your loss RIP Oscar

17. Sled dog hotel

Glad that it has helped and you feel a bit better now. When you do get bad days don't forget there is someone here to help, it will get easier in time even though at times now you feel it wont. We would love to hear about the new puppies progress too.

Honeys mum likes this.
  18. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

I second all of that too.

19. shamus

shamus PetForums Junior

hi folks.still cry every night and sometimes at work I still miss Oscar so much,it is easier now not so raw,anyway new puppy keeping the house alive and not feeling empty now.will post some pics soon.

20. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

Thankyou for the update shamus.It's still early days so,your bound to still be missing Oscar, but it will get easier as time goes by.
    One day in the future, you will be able to remember your lovely boy without feeling sad. I know just what your going through, but try to think of all the lovely times you had together.
    Glad to hear your new puppy is helping to keep the house from being so empty for you and your family..
    Look forward to seeing pics, when you feel ready.

Take care.