Questions about assistance dogs

Discussion in 'Assistance Dogs' started by CavalierLotta, Mar 11, 2017.

1. CavalierLotta

CavalierLotta PetForums Junior

Hey everyone,
    my client has some questions about assistance dogs. For now she would like to ask about one thing but she might have more questions later on. She has heard and read that assistance dogs can be kept off lead if it prevents them from working. She guesses that one of the reasons might be that if the owner had an epileptic seizure and used a leash, he or she might get entangled in it. Could anyone list some other reasons for keeping an assistance dog off lead?
    Thanks in advance!

2. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

as SDs do so many varied tasks for many different disabilities, medical / physical / mental conditions, & more, this is more on a case-by-case basis - but if it's ever questioned by a shop owner, or if the off-leash SD causes any issue for passerby, the handler had better have a GOOD solid reason, not a whim or a self-serving rationalization, to explain "why my SD must be off-leash to perform tasks".
    It's a potentially serious legal issue, & can end with the handler fined or the dog banned, if there isn't a specific justifiable reason to have the dog free-ranging, or worse yet, have the dog free-ranging when s/he is not extremely well-trained & highly compliant - even under stress, immersed in random events.

3. CavalierLotta

Hello!
    First of all, this topic is not related to my client's dog. She is just interested in this topic and would like to know more about it.:)

My client referred to trained assistance dogs. She was just wondering why they in some cases are kept off lead. She knows that their tasks depend on the disability of their owner. My client was wondering if you could list some reasons for keeping them off lead. She understands that it can be a serious legal issue if there's no justifiable reason. So what could these justifiable reasons be?
    Thanks in advance!

4. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

only the SD's handler could answer that, i'm afraid. :)
    I have yet to train an SD who needed to be off-lead in order to do her or his job.

5. CavalierLotta

Ok, thanks for your reply!:Happy Does anyone else know about this topic?