Puppy thrashing in crate - how long do I leave him?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emiliabeth, Jan 9, 2013.

1. emiliabeth

emiliabeth PetForums Newbie

I have a 4 and 1/2 month old whippet puppy and he mostly likes his crate.

However, in the mornings he's started crying and thrashing in there after he's put back in following his 6:30 whizz/poop.

I know I should never let him out while he's crying or thrashing - but how much silence should I wait for before I do let him out? 10 seconds? A minute? I don't want him to think I'm letting him out because of the crying because I think that would only make it worse, right?

I'd really appreciate any advice! He's only just started doing it and he used to just head right back into his crate and go back to sleep, so I'm not sure what happened...

2. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I wouldn't leave him in if he's thrashing.

3. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Ditto - If he is thrashing around then especially a more fragile (Well comapred to a lump like my girl) dog like a whippet could injure himself.

I know a pup who broke two legs getting tangled in a crate.

I dont personally have any experienc ewith crate training but hopefully someone who does can help you.

Are you able to leave him out of the crate after his morning toilet break?

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Double Ditto. If he's so upset that he's thrashing I think maybe you need a change of plan :)

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Does he need to go back in. do I take it you go back to bed. Maybe you will have to stay up and then gradually get later letting him out till you are letting him out at your normal getting up time.

6. tanglewood3

tanglewood3 PetForums Member

He probably starts making a fuss because he's got up and wants to be getting on with the day, rather than going back to bed. Whilst you don't want to let him out because he's whinging, if he's starting to thrash about he's getting stressed and you need to be doing something about it.
    I think you possibly may have to reasses your getting up times, but you can try putting him back in with a stuffed kong to chew on while you get yourself dressed etc.

7. Booties

Booties PetForums Senior

What do you have in his crate? His bed? Food? Toys?

I decided not to crate train our newest puppy because it stresses him out so much. Makes a sound like he's being murdered, chews the bars, jumps about. If your little'un is that distressed, maybe you can be a bit lenient with the crating?

If you need to go back to bed, I understand. I personally believe that, while allowances must be made, the dog should fit around your schedule, not the other way around.
    However, perhaps you could play with him or give him a tummy rub or tuck him into his bed with the door still open- talk to him and relax him for a while? Once they're asleep they're normally dead to the world for a little while, so you can sneak away then.

If "thrashing" was an overstatement and you just mean he's making a bit of a fuss, we normally leave them in the crate for a few minutes before going in. Some people recommend 1 minute, some recommend 10. You're right that you shouldn't let him get his way just because he's whining. Stuffed Kongs and chewy bones tend to help speed up the shut-it process ;)

Good luck!

8. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I he is that stressed out I personally wouldn't just put him back in.
    Is there a reason he needs to go back in once you're both up?
    If there is then you need to retrain him, what I did to get Missy used to being crated (5 year old rescue) was sit with her stroking her, reasuring her, until she had settled before I closed the door and moved away. I also gave her something to do by leaving her a stuffed kong.
    If you really need him to go back to bedin the morning then I would have a nice stuffed frozen kong ready for his breakfast to keep him busy and make going back to his crate a good thing.

All of my 3 are crate trained, however I did advise a friend to stop crate training her dog as he found being in a crate a very stressful situation, where as my lot love their little dens

9. Sarahferret

Sarahferret PetForums Senior

I wouldn't put the pup back in. Maybe you'll just need to get up earlier for a while. or even better, take him back to bed with you :) Having passed the night quietly on his own, by that point he is probably no longer tired, and craving your company.

When my whippet was a pup, I got up at 6.30 everyday (or earlier) until she was about 6 months old. Only then could I start persuading her to have a slight lie in!

You don't want him to start disliking his crate altogether by making him go back in when he isn't happy.

10. Kiwi

Kiwi PetForums VIP

I don't know the 'right' way to train this but mine will get back into her crate if I just say 'shower time' now (I use it also if I am just going out for a while). I started by leaving her out for her crate for breakfast and garden visit (ca 30 mins); then putting her in her crate with a chew & toy; then giving her lots of praise, cuddles and fuss when I let her out again (ca 1 hr). I never let her cry for more than 5 minutes at the most. But - she never thrashed. I also used the phrases 'shower time' and 'restie-byes' each time.

That said - I am home most of the time, so she is not crated for more than a couple of hours in the daytime. Maybe because of that she is happy with her crate and will take herself to bed at 9pm-ish (I straighten her crate blankets and put a fresh toy in there every day). Once in, I lean in for a cuddle and reassurance then gently close the crate door and pull a thick blanket over the whole crate. She'll then stay there 'til 8am on the dot before waking me up with a bark. Her blankets are washed once a week.

Sorry - our routine might not suit if you are working, so it may not be much help. But don't worry - your pup is very young still and will probably settle with time, routine, and lots of initial encouragement x

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I have never used a crate, but if the dog is so unhappy to go in that it is thrashing about, then I would have thought then you will have to go back to basics and re-train him to be happy to go in.

Surely, a dog can only be crated if it is happy to be in there? Otherwise, it is a punishment (even if only in the dog's eyes).

Yes, a dog has to fit round our lives, but we have to have reasonable expectations too.

Good luck.

12. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

I think we need a bit more information about your morning routine to see why he needs to go back in the crate, what time is it? Walt has never been any trouble to crate train but when he was a pup he had another dog next to him so he was always happy. I agree that you shouldnt open if hes having a whine but if he is really screaming and thrashing about he is in to much stress and should be let out. As he has done it a few times now i would change the routine somehow. When walt was a puppy his last wee early morning if it was light he thought it was timet to get up! Therefore he wouldnt go back to bed for a good while after that. Depending on your schedule i would get up and stay up, until you find he will go longer overnight and wont wake up as early in the first place. Or like Sarah Feret said take him to bed after for a nap with you, whippets love that! We dont let Walt in bed but i will happily get on the sofa for a cuddle and sleep with him!

I usually only put walt in his crate when he is sleepy or for a few minutes at a time when he was a pup to build it up! He is now 19months old and he only barks in his cage if he really needs the toilet (sensitive tummy). I always get up straight away and let him out because i know he never does it at any other time!

13. emiliabeth

Thank God, I'd much MUCH rather leave him out - I hate seeing him so stressed in there :(

I had been going back to bed for an hour, but I really don't need to. Tomorrow our new routine begins!

Thanks for the advice, I was worried that letting him out when he cried would mean he'd learn he could manipulate us that way. But if I don't put him back in, it solves that problem, too.

Feeling much more relaxed about it now :biggrin:

14. Sarahferret

That means an extra hour of puppy play time :) it is a time to be treasured, they grow up so quick, so best to make the most of it. Have fun!

15. PinkEars

PinkEars PetForums VIP

I think that's the best thing to do! You might find that he will settle out of the cage for a while after anyway so you can relax even if not sleeping! The more I think about it the more I remember Walt not wanting to go back in after the 5/6 o'clock toilet! With age he laid in later so the issue was resolved naturally!
    Oh and we need to see more pics of your whippy!

16. emiliabeth

That's exactly what I thought when I was writing my last reply! I thought, 'Oh, good, it's the perfect reason to get even more Herbie-time. :001_smile: Huzzah!

17. emiliabeth

More pics coming right up! My DH has started a Flickr collection of all his Herbie pics - Herbie the Whippet - a set on Flickr.

I'll upload some more to my profile here, too. :001_smile:

18. Sarahferret

He really is lovely! I shouldnt have looked though, I want another pup soooooo bad, and that doesn't help :(

19. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

He is beautiful! :001_wub: xx

And I have a pup myself at the moment - an almost 11 week old Pomeranian pup - and mostly I get up at 6am too. I was feeling really rough on Sunday morning so I fed my pup at 6am (after toileting him of course) then popped him back in his crate in case he felt he could let me have an extra hour lie-in. :eek:

And bless him he did go back to sleep! :p

But I think that's the only day so far since he arrived in our lives that I haven't got up at 6am-ish lol. He does tend to go back to sleep at about 8am-ish though which is handy for getting jobs etc done! :D

I'll think of you tomorrow when am playing with Teddy at 6am! :)

20. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Oh my, he is stunning :001_wub::001_wub:

We have a nine week old whippet puppy at the moment and he's not going in the crate at all at night, he just settles down in bed with me. Works like a charm as other than getting me up once during the night to go out he's happy to snuggle up and snooze :biggrin: