Puppy Feeding Times

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lou82, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:41 AM.

1. Lou82

Lou82 PetForums Newbie

Hi we have a 12 week old Westie, she is currently on 4 meals a day but I am looking to reduce this to 3 but increase portion sizes so she is on the same amount. What time do you feed your puppies?

Thank you in advance.

2. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

I'd leave her on 4 meals a day for a few more weeks then reduce to three, feed first thing in the morning, early afternoon then again in the evening, by six/eight months you could reduce to two meals a day up thats up to you and your dog when to do that.

lullabydream likes this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I would leave her on 4 meals a day

Why do you want to change?

4. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Member

Oh I'm feeding my 8 week old, 3 times a day. 7am, 12pm and then 6pm, the portions are already pretty small. She's constantly checking her bowl to see if there's more food. Should I be feeding her more?

5. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

At 8 weeks I would be feeding at least 4 times a day. I personally have never measured food for any of mine anf feed by eye. Recommended feed guidelines are just that a guideline if need more give more but 8 weeks should be no less than 4 times a day.

mollymo likes this.
  6. spamvicious

OK thanks, when would you suggest adding another feed?. The bag suggests 55g a day so I guess as long as it's not massively over that then its ok :). Also I just googled puppy food and someone said they're feeding their lab 4 x 55g a day?!. Her lab is 6.6kg. I thought it was 55g divided by 4. Star is 3kg.

7. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

An 8 week old definitely needs four meals but I've always reduced mine to three at 12 weeks so I personally can't see the issue if this is what you want to do OP.

All my dogs, even as adults, get a bedtime snack to bridge the long gap between dinner and then breakfast the next morning.

8. Lottie9330

Lottie9330 PetForums Junior

I think my puppy was 3 months when we put her on 3 meals a day. 8am, 2pm and 8pm. But if she had a lie in the times would change slightly.

9. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell PetForums Junior

Oh gosh this is a minefield,we haven't even got our puppy home yet & I am already worrying about how many/how much/what food to give her when we do :(
    We lost our beautiful Daisy last October at 17 so I have forgotten all these things long ago.

10. Lottie9330

You could speak to the breeder about what food they have used to wean the puppies and continue using that food when you get him/her. Feeding guidelines are on the back of all food products so dont worry about how much.
    I used the same food as the breeders did for weaning but changed it about a month or two down the line as it was poor quality and not helping my puppies diarrhoea. At 8 weeks id definitely do 4 meals. We did ours around 8am, 12, 6 and 10pm but it all depends on you and your puppies routine. Puppies seem hungry all the time and they are greedy so aslong as the timings inbetween are fairly equal it doesnt matter too much

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  11. Lottie9330

55g a day doesnt seem alot. My puppy at 3 months was on 250g a day. It does depend on breed though

12. spamvicious

I just can't work out if the info on the pack is per meal or per day. I'm gonna give her 4 meals a day though from now on.

13. lullabydream

What are you feeding...

I own toy breeds and to me that amount seems low.

Need to be careful on overfeeding too, simply because change of home, different water if you haven't brought any from the breeders can lead to upset tums, usually loose poo...if you add overfeeding in too this can also upset the balance because overfeeding is the main cause for loose poos.

14. Lottie9330

55g per meal would make more sense but ive not come across any food that does it per meal. Can you post a pic of the packaging/guidelines?

15. spamvicious

It's purina pro plan but I just realised I brought the small breed puppy food so maybe that's why it's so low.

16. spamvicious

I threw it away because I put the food in a tub. I'll go to the shop and see what it says on the back. I might have to buy some more as I bought small breed food by accident so I'm gonna give her 4 meals in the mean time.

17. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

I have just looked and assuming you have Pro Plan puppy small & mini, 55g is the recommend daily amount for a 8-10 week old puppy with an expected adult weight of 1-3kg!

Did you breeder not tell you how much to feed?

The feeding guides on the small/mini puppy food only go up to an expected adult weight of 10kg. Assuming your dog is a Cocker X Poodle (from profile pic) and likely to reach in the region of 15kg perhaps (?), I would be feeding at least 150g a day. I wouldn't waste the food you have now, but next time best to get the medium variety.

lullabydream likes this.
  18. mollymo

mollymo PetForums VIP

55 g is a very small amount of food into 4 meals
    My youngest pup a Golden Retriever at 8 weeks old 5.2 kg was having 150 g divided into 4 meals plus spoonful of wet food mixed with it.
    She has Arden Grange kibble so possibly a different amount to be fed than yours but I always feed by eye anyway and not by the amount on the bag.

Now she is 6 months old and still having 3 meals a day and weighs 20kg

19. lullabydream

Thanks for investigating!

Wondering how many think their toy breed will be 1kg though when full grown that's ridiculous, but I guess you have to cater to every eventuality!

20. spamvicious

Wow I feel so stupid :( Thanks so much for info. I thought it was a tiny amount. She's already 3kg, she must have been starving bless her. So I'll now feed her 55g x 3 per day.

mollymo and lullabydream like this.