Protecting a leg bandage

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Little P, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

My old mutt had surgery on his leg today to remove a lump from his metatarsal region. He has a dressing...

IMG_0435.JPG

And I've got a Mikki boot for him to wear over it

IMG_0436.JPG

But he seems to be struggling with it, the foot part is too big and he keeps tripping over it.

Can anyone suggest any easily obtainable alternative?

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

What do you want to protect it from? The wet or the dog?

If the former, I just put wrap it in cling film for toilet purposes; if the latter then a cone and/or muzzle

Lurcherlad and Little P like this.
  3. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

The wet and general wear and tear. He's scuffing his foot along the floor a lot at the moment (possibly just the GA after effects) and I don't think cling film would survive very long

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Your dog should not be wearing anything impermeable over a bandaged wound except where necessary to protect it ie in wet weather, if your floor is tiled or carpeted nothing other than the bandage is needed.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. mollypip

mollypip PetForums Senior

I bought a protective boot which looks exactly like yours, to keep my dogs bandage dry when going outside. But be careful, because if that boot is the same as mine, its not waterproof at all. You'll need to line it with a plastic bag or something.

I put a childs sock over my dogs bandage for round the house wear and tear, it gave a bit of protection and can be changed as often as you like.

6. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

How long has he got to keep the dressing on for? If its only 48 hrs I would just have him in the bandage indoors - it shouldn't actually wear through if he is on soft floor coverings and cover it up with either a boot or a drip bag from the vets tied on with a bandage just for popping outside to the garden then take it straight off again.

leashedForLife and smokeybear like this.
  7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I put a sock over Ludo's bandage and duct taped it on.
    It protected the bandage from his nibbles and going out in the dry.
    If we walked out in the wet a plastic bag did the job as he was only going out to toilet.

leashedForLife likes this.
  8. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

The vet wants the dressing to stay on for 5 days. He's fine in the house, it's just outside in the wet and on the concrete that he needs some sort of covering. The way he's currently scuffing his foot along,it won't last 5 minutes outside

9. Sweety

Sweety PetForums VIP

How much time is he going to be spending outside though? Five minutes or so?

I wouldn't leave that boot on him indoors. That, together with several layers of bandage is going to create some heat.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I was given an iv bag from the vets that they had the top off to slip over his foot for wet garden visits, it was very handy as it was really thick tough plastic but a couple of sturdy sandwich bags should do the trick I would have thought, but those Mikki boots are pretty useless.

11. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

Just for walks - 5-10 minutes 4-5 times a day. Current living situation means that he doesn't have garden access so walks are something we can't avoid all together

12. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

ask the vet for a discarded / empty IV bag for a slip-over "boot", just for wet ground. The tough bags are great for that. :)

13. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

We're not having fun with the bandage this morning!

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I was going to suggest that. My vet gave me some without being asked when Ziggy had a badly cut paw.

15. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

My dog hates his feet being interfered with so I thought the boot might be easier. I'm staff so just took what I wanted! Watching him this morning, it appears to have an actual "foot" on the end which is foot isn't filling and that's what's dragging along. I can get an empty drip bag but they tend to have a lot of excess "stuff" where the foot would go - the plastic to hang the bag essentially.

16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Cut off excess length, fold over to fit and secure with a bit of tape.
    I don't think much of those Mikki boots, you're right they are too wide at the sole. Other brands are better fitting.

17. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

He doesn't seem to be very happy with the dressing today so it may be coming off anyway

18. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

When Hector had his leg bandaged up like that it slipped on the second day and became really uncomfortable as he had really bothered with it until it slipped then he would leave it alone and seemed really unhappy, but we were told it was ok to remove it, so we did and then he had to wear the cone of shame as he wouldn't leave his wound alone :rolleyes: best boots for smallish feet (although I think Hectors would be far far bigger than your little one's feet) are these but they do these that come in extra small but they are not waterproof.

leashedForLife and Little P like this.
  19. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

I'm just on my way into work with him now so will see what happens. It's not slipped or anything but he keeps fussing at it where it goes around his hock

MontyMaude likes this.
  20. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Good luck, I wonder if he has managed to bend/kink the bandage as a little crease can rub and become quite sore.