Probably an really stupid question but ...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by mrsimpson85, Mar 1, 2012.

1. mrsimpson85

mrsimpson85 PetForums Senior

...hopefully someone here will know the answer.

I've just switched from a raw diet for my dogs to a commercial food on advice from a behaviourist, and he told me to aim for a protein content of around 16-19%.
    Because they were on raw, which cost me about £3 a week to feed them, I went for a cheaper option food.
    After looking at the "dry dog food index" and "wet dog food index" I've gone for skinner's field and trial, duck and rice mixed with wainwrights wet, not sure what flavour.

My question is, skinners is 22% protein and wainwrights is 10%.
    If I feed them half and half, does the protein go up to 32%, down to 16% or am I just overcomplicating things??

Sorry if this is me just being really, really stupid, but I was just curious.

Thanks

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You'd have to get the moisture content of the wet food to the same proportion as the dry before attempting to calculate the total protein.

I won't even attempt it!

3. mrsimpson85

Thanks, it thought is would be too easy to just to simply halve the protein, but it was worth an ask. :)

4. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Can you ask him why protein % matters when meat has 20-30% useable protein with around 70% water. Compare with commercial food with maybe less protein, some of which is of questionable benefit and the rest being filler? Dogs do not need carbohydrates (even the pet food's own guidelines do not list any requirement) which can lead to behavoural problems.

5. mrsimpson85

It was because 1 of my dogs is overweight and highly excitable and as they are pet dogs, not working dogs, they don't need as much protein.

I just done a google search and found this which recommends 18%.
    Dog Food FAQs: Protein

6. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I'm sorry but again another behaviourist talking shite it's not the amount of protein it's the quality I would have stuck with the raw and got shot of him personally

Edit: my two are pets dogs and get nothing but raw

7. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb PetForums VIP

Really really odd the advice some behaviourists give. Feeding raw especially meaty bones that occupy them HAS to be better than kibble which is gone is 2 secs flat. Certainly I moved over to raw on the advice of many,(behaviourists, trainers, friends, own research) that it would actually be calming to an excitable dog, all that crunching etc is very grounding for them

8. Halifu

Halifu PetForums Member

If one of your dogs is overweight then surely you just need to feed less?
    Can't see the benifits of changing back to a commercial brand?
    We've found that feeding our dogs on a raw diet has calmed them as mentioned above.

9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't feed raw so have no axe to grind, but it seems to me that if one of your dogs is overweight, he will probably be better with raw in smaller quantities. Even on light food, I haven't been able to get any weight off Ferdie.

Don't forget some of the people we think of as professionals just don't approve of raw feeding and put their opinions forward as expert advice.

10. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast PetForums VIP

My behaviousrist again tried to tell the OH that raw is rocket fuel (I carefully prepped him about percentage of water etc) but the biggest argument is that Zak was already an extremely energetic, hyper dog before going on to raw and his brother is calm, willing, not aggressive and they have always had the same stuff exactly. Brig, our older dog, is also on raw and his temperament has not changed, nor has his energy level since being switched from crap commercial stuff to raw.

I worked out ages ago that Zak needs a job, basically, or more stimulation than his brother, who is basically lots better behaved and placid comparatively. Nowt to do with being fed raw.

I think it's a dangerous thing for behaviourists to bang on about nutrition causing dogs to be hyper or naughty. I could feed Zak rice and nothing but and he'd still be a little rocket on his own!