pregnant chihuahua (calcium deficiency)

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lealou, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Lealou

Lealou PetForums Junior

Hi I am wanting a bit of advice I have bred schnauzers for 8 yrs my 2.2kg chihuahua is pregnant not planned as she was booked in to get spayed but came into season 3 months early I have done alot of research as I have obviously never bred a chihuahua and read that they can suffer from a calcium deficiency I just wondered if anyone could tell me if theres any supplement I should give her or wait til pups are born as cant get a definate answer anywhere she is 6 weeks today

2. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

Don't give her Anything before whelping as that could cause her body to stop producing the right amount itself and could ultimately bring on an attack of eclampsia. Once she has given birth then plenty of goats milk and puppy food should keep her levels right- but as long as you know what to watch for then she shouldn't need an actual supplement (unless she has a huge litter).
    Was it another chi that got her?

3. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

ooops. what was she mated with ? do you know?

4. Lealou

Lealou PetForums Junior

It was my male chihuahua thankfully although I didnt want her to have any vet saw 4 so said they should be smaller and she was in great health. She being fed puppy food just now and will be when pups are born and ill give her goat's milk too when they born or would lactol be better what puppy food would u recommend she on bakers the now cos she fussy and thats all she eats although eats a tin of meat a day as well

5. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

well thats a relief at least they same size . Bakers is crap food. try and feed her the best puppy food you can afford. I feed goats milk , purely because i have access to it. others use Lactol.

6. chichi

chichi Banned

Bakers is the biggest load of poop on the market. You need to gradually change her over to an alternative puppy food. There are lots out there to choose from.

How far gone is she?

Do you have a Mentor very experienced in Chihuahua breeding?

Your girl is on the small side (weightwise) for breeding but hopefully her pelvis isnt too narrow. Your Vet should be able to advise on that.

Did you consider the mismate jabs option....as you had decided not to breed her? That doesnt have to be done immediately after the whoopsa daisy....you have a few weeks to use the mismate option.

If you feed your girl a quality puppy food (I also give mine boiled chicken breast...grilled steak and boiled fish in the latter weeks of pregnancy) and give goats milk or goat yoghurt when she is lactating then calcium shouldnt cause an issue but of course you must discuss this with your vet.

7. Lealou

Lealou PetForums Junior

Hi chichi thanks for replying to be honest she isnt really eating the dry food just ped chum puppy meat what dry food would you suggest I used to use royal canin? She is 6 wks pregnant she was at vets last week getting scan and he said he saw no reason not to let her have them I did consider mismate but my nxt door neighbour used it with her jrt and it still had pups but they were all deformed and she ended up with pyometra and almost died I have money for section just incaseand any concerns I call the vet no matter what

8. chichi

chichi Banned

Oh forgot to say that size of Sire is not always an indication of the size the puppies will be born at. I used a tiny stud once and they were the biggest newborns Id had. Though their weight went on at a slow rate but they were real chunky bundles when born.

I doubt your girl will have a large first litter...especially if shes on the small side. My smaller girls usually have 2 to 3 pups for first litter....so shouldnt be too much to handle.

And not to be the voice of doom but I would make sure you have money set aside for C Section...if needed...you wont get much...if any...change out of £1000 if a C Section is required out of normal hours.

How old is your girl btw?

9. chichi

chichi Banned

Our posts crossed...so sorry about the C Section comment...youve obviously got that in order.

Thats awful about the JRT pups. Ive used the mismates for mine but all was successful. Thank goodness!

10. Lealou

Lealou PetForums Junior

She is 25 months and was on her 4th season and last as shes getting dressed asap lol

11. chichi

chichi Banned

Oh well hopefully she will not have any dramas with this litter and then once spayed you can relax.

Its a worrying time with all breeds but Chis are just that little bit more worry with them being so small. Still... as long as you keep in touch with your Vet and keep a close eye...hopefully she will sail through.

Have you got your whelping box...heatpad...vetbed...etc.sorted out. The electric heatpads are a godsend!

I bet you are getting excited....long or smooth pups expected?

12. Lealou

Lealou PetForums Junior

Well mum is long and dad short so not ideal yes everything sorted for her all my whelping kit ready and heat mat and heat mat bed and plenty of towels and vetted x thanks for advice ill keep you posted

13. chichi

chichi Banned

My guess....they will be smooths:D but genetics can surprise us sometimes. What colours are Mum and Dad...love guessing what the pups will turn out. Not that you can predict too much with Chis but its fun all the same.

I put a black girl with a cream boy last year and got a wolf sable. Such an unusual looking but very beautiful girl! She attracts lots of attention...people say she looks like a newborn Husky lol:D

14. Lealou

Lealou PetForums Junior

Mum is a lilac tri long coat dad is a choc tri short coat to be honest I get confused with all the funny name colours why can they just be black white or brown lolol I will post pics shes 7 weeks tomorro2 and can feel them moving although not 100% sure on exact date had her scanned at 5 weeks (what I thought) and they looked reasonably big but im used to schnauzers so not too sure do u think it would be advisable to take her for another scan? I want to do everything I can money is no concern and I understand im prob looking at a section I also dont know whether to let her try naturally or book an elective shes eating well shes on raw lamb chicken and tripe and royal canin chihuahua puppy food should I be giving her milk as someone suggested goats milk? Sorry for all the questions I wants what's best for her hope u dont mind x

15. Lealou

Lealou PetForums Junior

Also I have handreared puppies from birth before so know what im doing what size are they usually when born I was told anything from 80g to 100g when born is this right as schnauzers are usually 125g minimum average 150g so alot bigger also I have liquid glucose for mum and pups if needed and nutridrops as I know cos they so small might need a little something extra I sound like I don't know what im talking about but honestly I do just chihuahua are such a delicate breed and want to make sure im doing things right for my wee girl and hopefully the babies

16. chichi

chichi Banned

My advice would be to NOT book her in for elective C section. Let her go into labour naturally (let those hormones do their stuff). Put your Vet on ALERT as soon as labour starts and watch closely for any signs of problems. Theres no reason why she should LIKELY need a C Section unless her pelvis is very narrow but Vet would...should...advise by now if that was the case.

Scans...except for confirmation of pregnancy...I find them useless. Each to their own If a scan would put your mind at ease...then no reason not to.

I give goats milk after babies are born. The Mums love it. Have never had a bitch lacking in milk production...even after C Section...so I think the goat milk helps. I dilute it with water to make a longer drink. Should mention caused major diarrhoea in one of my bitches but no problems apart from her. She has a very sensitive tummy.

Chi pup size...sorry dont do grams but most of my pups have been between 3 and 5 oz born. A couple under 3 oz have required tube feeds to get them going in the first days. Only tube feed if you have been shown what to do by a very experienced breeder or Vet. Can go horribly wrong if not done correctly.

Under 2 oz have never survived for me :( despite hourly tubing.

Cant advise on raw food but puppy food in good supply now would be for mine...plus cooked chicken and steak...but thats not essential...many just feed puppy food.

Hope that helps. Anything I can help with...dont hesitate to ask. Its clear you know what you are doing but just need a bit of reassurance because different breed to what you are used to breeding. Nothing wrong with that at all!

Oh as for coat colours of puppies...I couldnt even have a guess on that...except my choc usually produces blacks or whites.

:)

17. Lealou

Lealou PetForums Junior

thanks so much for your advice its very much apprecited xx i have never tube feeded and to be honest i dont fancy trying but if need be ill speak to vet regarding this ill keep you posted hows she getting on ate a good donner just there of lamb and puppy bikkies so all good. should i offer her some watered down goats milk now to help her not get get such bad diarrhoea or just wait ..... Thanks again

18. hippymama

hippymama PetForums Senior

19. Lealou

Lealou PetForums Junior

thanks hippymama ill get a good read xx