Piriton for dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Horse and Hound, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Do any of you give your dogs piriton?

Reason I ask is Roo started last night scratching like hell at his tummy. It started about 20 minutes after we came home from a walk. He was arseing around in a filthy ditch so I think he could have picked something up there that’s irritating him. He’s not made himself bleed but it has gotten rather red.

I bathed him in cool water last night, just his tum and that seemed to work for about an hour, then he started again. We also checked both of them for fleas and there’s nothing that I can see. No sign of flea dirt, and Harvey isn’t itching.

A friend suggested Piriton but I rang the vet and, surprise surprise, they “wouldn’t recommend it because they need to see the rash first…” so I got nowhere asking for a dosage! Whole point was to try this to see if it helped before having to take him in!

I’ve been googling and basically found that some give ½ a tablet, others a full one. Has anyone else ever given it to a westie sized dog (he’s 8.5 kilos).

2. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

In the summer months my dog gets 1 tablet every day he is a JRT around 12.5 kg. He bites and scratches himself raw with the pollen/grass, it is awful and the only thing that helps from the vets is steroids so it is Piriton all the way. Not sure if it is what you need in your situation but I find it great.

3. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

Yep half a piriton has been suggested to me on an animal first aid course. :)

4. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I would poss give just a quarter zeb gets 1/2 in the summer as he gets hayfever symptoms and he's 30kg

5. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

Absolutely fine to give but unsure of dosage. My old girl was prescribed Piriton by the vet, at highly inflated prices. I didn't know then that they are identical to the human version, so now would jusT buy OTC Piriton

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Mavis has one a day sometime increased to twice a day if she is really itchy and she weighs 22 Kg,

so i would not give anymore than 1/2 myself

7. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

Sonny got piriton when stung by a wasp last year can not remember the dose though. I think we had to give him a 1/4 of a tablet but it may have been 1/2 - definately was not a whole one. He is a cocker spaniel and only weighs 11 kg just now so probably slightly less than that then.

8. Braighe

Braighe PetForums Member

Braighe, our westie had a skin problem last summer, and along with other things he was given Piriton every day.

He is 8.5kg and the dose was 1/2 tablet 3 times a day

9. Horse and Hound

Thanks to everyone for advice!!!

Brill that's just what I was after! I'll give him 1/2 tonight and see how he goes. I'm hoping it will just be a one off and he'll be back to normal after it.

He's getting groomed on Saturday!!! :scared:

10. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Similar thing happened a while ago, Bro and SIL decided (kindly) to take the whole of the familes dogs for a walk together 7 dogs in total
    Well when they got back every dog was going mad biting at thier paws,
    except one of my dogs is a hairless chinese crested, his entire body was a red rash!!! Looked awful.

I gave every dog one piriton tablet each. From the 6kilo cresteds to the RR and goldie.
    The irritant quickly subsided.

Oh and I also put some bite and sting cream on Percys body because it was so severe.

11. Horse and Hound

The ditch was minging, there could have been anything in it! He's clearly uncomfy so I'm going to bathe him again tonight, shampoo him over again and make sure whatever it is is cleaned off and give him a piriton. Might even put some savlon/sudacrem on his tum as well.

12. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Poor mite, sudocrem's a good idea. :)

Best of luck. :)

13. Horse and Hound

Cheers!

Will see how he goes tonight. I did check for fleas, as first thought that might be it, but can't see any, or any other signs.

If no better after a few days will take him in.

14. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

You can find the dose on PetMeds Piriton - 500 x 4mg - Piriton pet healthcare Maximum for 8kg is 4mg (one tablet) twice a day, or you could try half a tablet 4 times a day which is less sedating and sometimes gives better itch control.

15. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Bruce has them occasionally. He has a 4mg tablet twice daily if he has had a tic. He gets a tic now and then, probably because he's got shaggy fur and it's easy to get into - poor boy has a dreadful reaction, so I always know if he's either got a tic or had one. Bruce weighs just over 10kgs.

I buy them from Asda and their own brand is the same as piriton, Chlorphenamine maleate 4 mg. The vet said it's okay to buy them over the counter but don't tell the pharmacist you intend giving them to your dog as they won't sell them to you! ;)

16. petsandpaws

petsandpaws PetForums Newbie

Tilly was given piriton by my vets last week after ahe had a bad allergic reaction. Shes around 12kg and has to take 1tablet 3x a day for a week & since then has been fine :)

17. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

My Sisters Staffordshire Terrier has a Grass Allergy (Horrible for a breed with very fine fur on their tummies) Shea normally has two a day in the summer but when staying with us last summer was having 3 a day. This was recommended by her vet, although she buys Boots own hayfever tablets rather than Piriton as its more reasonably priced and the same amount of active ingrdient. :)

18. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

My Dalmatian has all sorts of irritations in the summer. He gets Piriton too.

19. Horse and Hound

He had half last night and it stopped pretty much instantly! :thumbup:

20. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Glad Roo is better good luck at groomers :thumbup: