PF Spring watch 2017

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:01 PM.

1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Thought we should do this again as it was a great thread last year. Post when you see first signs of spring, see first swallow/hear first cuckoo and nightjar etc etc.

Nothing much to report here yet - Spring bulbs and blossom on trees.

Matrod, Jonescat and simplysardonic like this.
  2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Spring is well on its way here. Daffodils have been and gone as have crocuses, forsythia in full bloom, young fresh growth on all the garden shrubs, all the garden birds have nests and are stripping the feeders bare, the starlings are doing their customary spring war dance (I am sure they wear clogs from the sound of it) in my soffits to announce a clutch of eggs is in progress.

Rooks are in full breeding mode. Lots of bickering between neighbouring pairs and carrying of twigs for the finishing touches to their nests.

Tulip leaves are emerging and the fig tree leaves are threatening to poke from their buds. In the supermarket car park the catkins dangle from the landscaped trees, though after the recent wind most are draped artistically over the parked cars.

In the sunny interludes the golfers and dog walkers have been out in force and I have done the first lawn mow of the year accompanied by the shouts of all the birdlife staking out their territories and fitness to breed.

In the pond the newts have been much more active and the water marigolds and irises are shooting up fast.

I love spring.

No photos yet as its pouring down :-(

3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Commander of a tiny, furry army
    Staff Member

A cuckoo, after too many years!

Hubby reported hearing one just over a week ago.

Although it was a bit hard to tell through the background noise, I think I heard one last week.

I hope so, I've missed that sound.

Blossom spotted so far has been blackthorn, bullace & mirabelles.

Bulbs- the snowdrop are well & truly finished, crocus have had a disappointing spring thanks to the blustery weather, daffs are out in full force.

The local blackbirds, pigeons & doves are everywhere when I set off for work, along with wren, tits, dunocks & chaffinches.

Also seen a lot of buzzards & kestrel (including one being chased by an angry crow!) & my work colleague said she saw 2 red kite when she was walking the alpacas.

No sign of frogspawn in my absolute wreck of a pond yet!

ETA: My ribes has just started putting on a magnificent show as well :)

4. Siskin

Siskin Owner of a slipper nicker.

At home lots of birds singing some quite late into the evening, daffs in flower, buds bursting on many trees especially my crab apples, hearing lots of tapping in a bird box by the bedroom window, bottom dropped out of an old nest box that's always used by blue tits, cue very cross blue tits who sat nearby and shouted at me as I went past. Not able to sort it out as we went off to Suffolk.

Suffolk, only been here a day and it's turned windy and cooler, but did hear a Chiffchaff this morning. Daffs out here, but trees and bushes a bit behind and only just showing. Noticed lots of blackthorn blossom alongside roads as we drive here.

Jonescat and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  5. rottiepointerhouse

Where do you live? We are south coast and no signs of birds nesting yet. Mind you we have changed our nesting box this year - we had such dramas last year with the Woodpecker trying to drill into our box to get the baby tits so we have a bright red post box style non wood new box. I'm not convinced they will use it. OH puts nesting material out as well as lots of bird feeders but they don't seem to be taking any yet.

Jonescat and kittih like this.
  6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I am in Cambridgeshire. It's been quite mild. I found a broken eggshell last week (blackbird I think). They nest in the big conifer hedge in my neighbours garden.

The starlings have taken over the Soffits nest for the third year running. It used to be the site of one of my swift nests but starlings moved in in March and were still using it for their semi fledged chicks on the 11 May when the swifts arrived which was a shame. The swifts have shown no interest in the swift nest boxes I have put up buy other birds use them as overwintering shelters.

My study is right below the starling nest so I get to hear every squawk, scratch and elephantine footstep they produce. At nest building the male and female are quite noisy, lots of coming and going and chatter. One the female is on the nest it is mostly quiet with the odd shake of the feathers and some chatter when the make comes back. Last year they raised 7 noisy chicks who stripped my feeders every 6 hours. My great tit nest is empty this year but given it often has lots of interest from next doors cat probably they have moved to a posher neighbourhood.

I have woods and scrub behind me so lots of wild nesting sites.

I love it when all the fledglings ate brought to the feeders by mum and dad.

Jonescat and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  7. Animallover26

Animallover26 Human to a irresistible bundle of black fluff.

Hyacinths are out
    Tulips are on their way (just the leaves out)
    My tree is in bud
    Daffodils
    Snow drops
    Forget me nots are out.

Once the rain and wind are gone I'll get photos.

8. rottiepointerhouse

Jonescat and kittih like this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Saw the Heron descend on the fish pond this morning! :eek:

He flew off when he saw me, thankfully, but he'll be back.

Have been hearing woodpeckers for a couple of weeks at least and friend and I sat watching one in a tree at the park last week as we sat outside the cafe drinking coffee.

10. rona

rona Missing my boy

Saw four Nuthatches the other day who all wanted the same tree, my goodness they can make a row when they are angry, two had a bust up and came tumbling down through the branches.

Spotted a little gold crest today, singing his little heart out. I reckon he was definitely impressing the ladies :)

11. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I think we have blue tits nesting this year for the first time in a while, we have a pair visiting the garden together, and also a pair of robins - one was feeding the other the other day so I guess they are a pair. Also found a blackbird egg on the ground (I think), whole with just a hole in it as if it was blown by something, and the plum blossom is just starting to appear.

Saw marsh marigold out in full bloom today, and primrose and the little wild daffs are in full flow.

But then it poured today and we had a greenfinch, and they only ever come round in winter, and the gritters are rumoured to be out!

rona and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  12. Siskin

I came across two robins having a punch up a few days ago. They were fluttering about on the ground each with a beakful of each other totally oblivious to me stood right by them. Finally they noticed me and flew off, but within seconds were at it again in deadly earnest. I did wonder if would find a dead robin later in, they can fight to the death if they've a mind to

rona and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  13. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

Sitting in the garden at the weekend a blackbird sat on the fence right alongside us singing a beautiful song. My newly planted daffodil bulbs are looking lovely and are the tallest daffodils I think I've ever seen! Also planted tulip bulbs with are looking very healthy, just waiting for the flower buds to open. Forsythia is in full flower at the front of the house, a lovely bright yellow. I saw a male and female blackbird the other day at the side of the road with beakfuls of twigs and bits, they looked so funny as they had crammed so much in,

rottiepointerhouse, rona and kittih like this.
  14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

The Forsythia I bought last year didn't make it, so I will have to get another one. Such an attractive sight this early in the year! :)

I swiped some bits of Chaenomeles that were overhanging the footpath yesterday and a bit of Hawthorn, so hope they take.

rottiepointerhouse and rona like this.
  15. rona

rona Missing my boy

Haha, you sound like my mother, she always had a little jar on the windowsill trying to root the bits she had filched :D

Lurcherlad likes this.
  16. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I have a Fuchsia cutting I "borrowed" a few weeks ago, on the windowsill, in a jam jar, fully rooted and ready to be potted up! ;)

rona likes this.
  17. rona

rona Missing my boy

Came across a few Bluebells out today, same place as I saw the first ones last year :)

18. Siskin

Spotted a treecreeper yesterday morning.
    Spent this afternoon at Minsmere watching, amongst other birds, two oyster catchers doing a mating display.

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  19. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

Saw this adder on the 17th March and had seen one the previous day too.

adder17march17.jpg

Attached Files:

Matrod, kittih and Jonescat like this.
  20. Matrod

Matrod Slave to a pair of OAP's

Heard my first chiffchaff last week & the woodpeckers have been drumming for weeks. I've been entertained by the crows pulling dead twigs off a tree in my garden for the last few weeks, they're building a nest at the top of a tree nearby. The starlings have been gathering nesting material from the garden for a while for their nest in my neighbours eaves. The dunnocks have been doing their mating dance as well. And our resident goldcrest turned up with a mate yesterday :) I've seen plenty of queen bumblebees about & even the odd honey bee.

All in all I'd say it's all go here!

kittih likes this.