Pet Bereavement helpline

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Howlinbob, Nov 12, 2011.

1. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Wish I had seen this earlier after losing our eldest girl last week :(

Some very useful information in their leaflet illustrating the roller-coaster of emotion I'm currently on is "perfectly normal" (whatever that means)

After telling those closest to us - and posting to friends on FB as I couldn't bear going over it time and again - I've still not been able to put it into words to post elsewhere or to thank so many people :(

My work for the last 4 years has been based around End of Life Care - but working with staff who of course face their own challenges - interestingly, I found it a great help sometimes when working with these teams to help me deal with losing my dad.

It seems to be a very different story when you lose a pet as many people are sorry - but if they don't have pets - they don't necessarily grasp the depth of emotional ties you experience, particularly when it happens suddenly - so it's good to know there are services out there and those with the strength of courage to be able to help others by volunteering -

Both sites have been bookmarked here

Thank you both for highlighting them

#21 swarthy, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. RowdyRabbit

RowdyRabbit Pet keeper, pet fanatic & all round pet lover

I think that this is a wonderful service - it's there to help us in our times of mourning. :(

#22 RowdyRabbit, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  3. Sharon White

Sharon White PetForums Junior

Dot. We had to have our handsome Harry pts two days ago. We feel guilty too but he had no quality of life left in him. He had been fighting diabetes since August 2015 lost loads of weight and it was the fact that he lost all the muscle in his legs that he couldn't stand up, walk or toilet by himself without us supporting him. We had no choice in having him pts really but we still feel guilty, asking ourselves have we done the right thing etc but him having no quality of life was the right decision. We're devastated and heartbroken of course and miss him dearly. The house is so quiet without him.

4. squirrel605

squirrel605 PetForums Junior

What a great thing. I wish I had known about it when I lost my last dear Sable. She has been gone almost 10 years now.

5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

squirrel605 likes this.