Pain

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MrsCx, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:02 PM.

1. MrsCx

MrsCx PetForums Member

Can anyone please explain symptoms of pain for a dog born with a deformity?
    How do vets evaluate pain and does anyone know the next steps taken if they believe a dog is in pain?
    Just for preparation purposes, thanks.

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell PetForums VIP

It can vary from dog to dog and on where the pain is. Panting and restlessness can be a sign. As can changing a stance or walking position. Yelping when the area is touched. Listlessness. It depends.

As for vet evaluation, @Ceiling Kitty is a good person to ask if she's around. She's been busy with her own dog's health lately.

MrsCx likes this.
  3. MrsCx

MrsCx PetForums Member

Thank you @Mirandashell, will take note.
    @Ceiling Kitty, would be amazing if you could offer some advice but understandable if you're busy, hope all is ok!

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

As already mentioned a vet would be best bet to ask...

It's not usually classic signs of pain, but subtle signs of pain such as slight hold of breath that are more telling with congenital deformities.

Some dogs are so stoic, and what the text book says as in how much pain they should be in, and what they should be able to do and not do, and they do the opposite. By no means they live their life pain free. It's just hard to quantify, and what would be fair on a dog.

MrsCx likes this.
  5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

( cat )

MilleD and lullabydream like this.
  6. MrsCx

MrsCx PetForums Member

Thank you that's really helpful.
    We know the day is going to come at some point and he is one of those dogs that doesn't seem to show pain. But we would like to open our eyes more to signs simply because if he is in pain we would want to be fair on him.

lullabydream likes this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If it helps...my dogs joints formation are terrible...and I worry constantly that he's in pain... unfortunately he's not insured for them as as soon as I rehomed him it was obvious he had chronic ear infection so joints are excluded. I worry permanently about pain...is crying in his sleep more pain..is he actually ok. Obviously crying in sleep is probably a pathetic dream... probably can't get to a mouse...but you know I worry. Had refused to show signs as such to the vet...and neither me or the vet cannot tell any difference with him on painkillers for arthritis compared to his basic yumove for joints.. as he is like a busy little thing. I know it's from birth..and I don't think saying oh he's got used to it that's why is good enough. So currently no pain meds...we sort of think they are not justified. Keep him active... well it's hard not. I know to start something extra as soon as I think, oh no! I do with I could fix things...but that isn't the case though. So we do out best he's a happy chap as a general rule...except our new dog is is his nemesis due to an unfortunate circumstance. But am sure we will get there...he just never does any sign...and at vets he has one pose. 'Whoa is me' so typical behaviour shown is videos on my phone,!

Hope you find a balance, and sometimes the simplest thing can help.

MrsCx likes this.
  8. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I can tell when Indie my rottie is in pain with her terrible joints as she has a anxious look on her face with "bug eyes". She has a very expressive face so its possible to tell quite a lot from it.

MrsCx likes this.
  9. Mirandashell

Oh of course it is! Sorry @Ceiling Kitty and thank you Susie.

10. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

Shivering can be a symptom of pain rather than of them being cold

MrsCx likes this.
  11. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Well that's me thoroughly confused! I thought @Ceiling Kitty was a bloke based on the profile pic but apparently not!

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Their profile pic is an actor that for some reason CK finds attractive.

His voice alone makes me want to vomit.

13. Mirandashell

Her profile pic is a famous actor...... I think!

14. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Not somebody I recognise.
    Perhaps kitty will chime in and enlighten me?

15. Mirandashell

He looks vaguely familiar to me but .....

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Its Charlie Day.

Id use the term 'famous' rather loosely.

17. Mirandashell

18. Mirandashell

I just looked him up. Who?

Sorry Kitty!

19. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Not knowing what the deformity and exact problem is its more difficult to say, but if its joints and spine, you often see things like rising and lowering themselves more slowly and laboured they may also be more hesitant when doing it. Not jumping up onto things or again going about it slowly with more care and/or hesitant. You may see a difference or hesitation in jumping down off things or going up and downstairs. If there is a rear joint problem or lower spine it tends to be more seem with jumping up or going upstairs, if its from end pain or joint problems its often more of a problem coming downstairs or jumping down.

If the have abdominal pain you often see things like being unsettled and agitated, they may do lots of stretching, arching of backs, standing roached back with and or spayed legs. Some times if they have stomach pain and other types they may instead of laying on their sides stretched out and relaxed they may lay more sitting up like an Egyptian spynx.

Sometimes joint and spinal pain isn't always obvious to us, and its not until they have something like an orthopaedic exam by a vet where they will do various manipulations and extensions that a definite pain response can be seen, or when various areas are palpated and examined in a certain way.

As said not knowing what the deformity or area there is a problem in the dog concerned its hard to be more specific.

MrsCx likes this.
  20. MrsCx

MrsCx PetForums Member

Thank you for all the responses!
    They're really helpful, we will be taking him in soon just for the usual check up anyway just want to feel a bit prepared for when we bring up the conversation of pain signs and whats next.
    I know exactly what you mean @lullabydream. I do worry with him and probably mollycoddle him quite a bit.
    @rottiepointerhouse I do love Rotties expressive faces, Skippy smiles at does "feel sorry for me" kind of face if he bangs his paw on something while lifting it in the air like a child.
    @Sled dog hotel its joint deformity, have added some photos below. Can't for the life of me think what it's called but its a split paw condition where most of it is curved back on itself and one straight bit. He is also missing one of the claws on that leg. His deformity goes all the way into his shoulder; shoulder blade is smaller.
    Thanks again.

20170522_185914.jpg 20170416_182745.jpg 20170423_194135.jpg