Overdue kittens...

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by gskinner123, Jul 4, 2013.

1. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

It really is so easily done isn't it,a cat in call will be one determined cat,iv had girls waiting for me to do the feeding round and as soon as I open pen door they make a dash for it they are not stupid that is for sure.

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

'Holding your nerve'. Always seems to be the advisable thing to do.. for other people :)

Did you have words over the fact that he 'didn't notice' .. or did he just get the long, hard look? :)

3. gskinner123

I think it's this, above anything else, with cat breeding that frustrates me so much. There's so much you can learn from experience to put into practice for future pregnancies/births but that doesn't seem to hold true with knowing when (if at all) to intervene. I've done it both ways - waited (and waited) with all appearing perfectly okay... sometimes the girl has finally gone into labour... but other times a c-section was needed (or was it?) and a not good outcome... or conversely a good outcome. Other times I've not been able to hold my nerve past 'x' number of days, again with mixed outcomes and I'm either left feeling 'if only I'd waited' or 'if only I'd opted for a section sooner'.

4. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

Agree such a horrible feeling not knowing what to do for the best.

I remember peaches section,that time she had got one kitten out sadly dead,we went over time that is expected for next kitten to be out,i rang vets to go in but then noticed a sac so rang vets back to say I think she may be ok now.A little more time passed still no kitten out and I didn't know if me being around her was putting her off didn't know what to do for the best anyway I got to point where I took her in for oxytocin,went back home,waited how long the vet told me to still nothing,felt so sorry for the cat we all know how horrible contractions are and she was having intense ones,anyway all ended in a section 2 live born and 1 week who died shortly after getting him home from vets.

Turned out her uterus was ruptured probably due to the oxytocin.

Sorry iv gone on a bit there havnt I,but my point being it is very hard to know when to act or wait it out.

5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

This is what I would do also, I've had singletons closer to and on day 70, my vets don't want them going over day 70. So I would have been there the next day for my day 70 girl.

With normal sized litters they all go day 64-65 from the second day of mating.

6. gskinner123

Wouldn't feel quite so edgy if it was fairly clear just a singleton... I'm estimating 4/5 and that's a conservative estimate, taking into account she's a big cat and, tummy aside, has become just a little too portly with this pregnancy. She's spent most of the morning sitting in a cupboard so perhaps that's a good sign :)

7. spotty cats

Can you feel 4/5 or just going on her size? My fattest, roundest girls are the ones who've had singles

8. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

He knows. He informed me he knew I wasn't angry, just very disappointed in him and that's worse.

9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

We all work to this but how far over do you think all those 'accidentally' pregnant moggies might go without problems? Ignorance really must be bliss sometimes.

10. spotty cats

Oh most definitely! :)