Overdue kittens...

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by gskinner123, Jul 4, 2013.

1. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

It certainly was when I let Sparky get pregnant all those years ago. I got her in 1992 and she had three kittens in 1993. Everything went swimmingly and I never worried as i had no idea how many things there were to worry about! She carried on feeding the kittens after I got her neutered, and the confidence I got from that encouraged me to foster a number of cats with kittens for a local rescue.

It's a different story with Lola partly because I know so much more and partly because if anything had gone wrong it would be because I deliberatetly choose for her to get pregnant - took her to stud and so on. However she is proving to be a great mother and she delivered all her kittens without any help from me.

Breeding feels like a whole series of hurdles - choose a breed, show a neuter, do some stewarding, move to a suitable house, get a suitable kitten, wait for her to start calling while looking for a suitable stud, get her to stud, hope she doesn't stop calling with a long journey, wait for her to pink up, wait for the rest of the pregnancy, worry about her delivering safely and naturally, worry that the kittens are healthy, worry about kitten weight gains... Done all those (still doing the last one) and the next ones on the horizon are working out what sexes the kittens are, deciding if one of the girls is a keeper and finding food homes for the rest of them. Feel exhausted after writing it all down!

#21 OrientalSlave, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Got a bit distracted but very pleased to say she had four kittens following a very long, drawn out first stage with hours of panting and absolutely nothing else happening. I don't blame her for the delay; the first kitten weighed 152g which, even for a British, is a fair old size but she managed well in the end.

Thanks for all your support yesterday :)

3. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

You have that spot on OS ... Worry all the time ... Last night was my first night in my own bed away from Rosie ... Amazingly I slept really well.. Until I woke and the panic set in... I rush upstairs to Rosie and kits... Still alive and mum nursing phew ... Am worrying , are they warm enuff when Rosie is not with them , is she still bothered about them ... Has she eaten , well the list goes on

At the min I have great and average weights .... So all getting fed ,

Then you think what's average 8 to 10g per day and if its below that do you step in ??? At wot point do you step in ??

#23 Cosmills, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  4. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Congratulation .... So pleased all is well .... 152g that one chunky baba ... X

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Mostly over 10g / day. The odd day with not much gain for the odd kitten isn't a worry.

If none of them are gaining it suggests to me a problem with the queen - possibly unwell, possibly something else.

Not quite sure at what point I'd take a single kitten that wasn't gaining to the vets as it's never happened to me with my various foster litters except with one of the early ones where they were probably premature and they all faded and died in the first few days. :(

I'm very reluctant to start supplementing unless absolutely necessary as the queen's milk is far better for them than formula.

I'm sure other people will have better answers though.

6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Congratulations, glad all went well.

15-20g is average here, but if I had someone below 10g for several days I'd pop the kitten on ab's, give it nutridrops and supp feed.

7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I have to say I intervene sooner rather than later these days. I do tend to see if nutridrops and a top up feed are enough to make the difference first.

8. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I do offer a top up once or twice a day to large litters. It doesn't stop them having mum's milk and can just fill up the bullies enough to give any that are being pushed out a chance to suckle on mum in peace.

9. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

congrats D on the new additions..wow what a weight your girl did very well there.

10. gskinner123

Thank you :)

She wasn't very happy about it at the time, I can tell you!

11. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I can imagine :)

12. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Wow - many congrats - just need the photos now (she hints).

13. pipje

pipje PetForums VIP

Congratulations gskinner!

152g is HUMUNGOUS. This is the heaviest I've heard ever! She did amazingly

14. we love bsh's

Bless her,what number kitten was it? Its her 2nd litter isn't it? :)

What colours did you get?

15. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I think it was the first kitten... Poor girl!

16. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Minnii's very first kitten was huge - 158g I believe - but still born, a lot of his weight was due to hydrocephalous. So a live 152g is rather eye wateringly amazing.

17. gskinner123

He was the second kitten born and I felt very sorry for her. She spent a good hour or so pacing, panting and really quite agitated - all before the kitten even presented at the vulva. The strange thing is, once it did present, it was out with one almighty push.

But over 150g I'm sure is the heaviest birth weight we've ever had; doesn't necessarily mean a lot of course when it comes to eventual size and I don't think I'd like to see any of my other girls with kittens that sort of size.

18. we love bsh's

really is an amazing weight I thought 127g was bad for my 1st timer and 1st kitten.