Our very shy rescue cat is still hiding under the bed, any advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Emma2011, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Emma2011

Emma2011 PetForums Newbie

Jan 7, 2011

Over the past 3 days, Thomas has suddenly become a purry fuss machine who loves to hop out from his hiding place and rub all over the furniture and my legs, and be stroked. He's even enjoyed playing with toys (you would never guess he's 10, he stalks and pounces on his string toys like a kitten) and having his head and belly rubbed while he's lazily lying down. He still spooks really easily, though, and hasn't yet made the same progress with my boyfriend, who he still hides from, but I reckon he just needs a bit more time.

He's such a sweet cat and so nice to hear him purr and meow. I'm really happy, so thought I'd share this little success story with you guys and thank you again for your support. I guess patience (we'll have had him 11 weeks tomorrow, and he's only just started to come out of his shell) is the order of the day!

(P.S. managing to control allergy issues with lots of vacuuming and antihistimines at the weekend - ok so far)
  2. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Aug 5, 2010
    Really pleased things are going well :) it just takes some longer than others, but it's always rewarding in the end, well done :D
  3. Elsbells

Elsbells PetForums Junior

Feb 18, 2011

And how lucky is Thomas to have found you?! You’re the perfect people to bring out the best in him with your patience and care (and all those great ideas!).

Any small improvement is a massive step forward, as in any other household where there are more distractions/hazards like kids and other pets, he might regress, so to achieve what you have done in just 11 weeks is fantastic, and a tribute to your excellent care & patience.

While he may never be doing Beyonce impersonations under the spotlight, all the time and effort you’ve been putting into him over these early weeks will make an extra special bond, and you might continue to be surprised at what you can achieve with lovely Thomas :).