new and confused lol

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by IsisSpots, Feb 10, 2012.

1. IsisSpots

IsisSpots PetForums Junior

hi everyone
    I am the proud new owner of a GCCF registered active Egyptian Mau beauty :D
    I am interested in breeding but am new to all this. I have read the sticky posts and found them very helpful.
    Basically I am looking for advice and information on what I do now lol :001_tongue:

2. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

Well, if the breeder knows this is what you're planning, I'm sure they will be happy to provide advice and help to mentor you?

3. Kiwi

Kiwi PetForums VIP

Can't help with breeding advice I'm afraid but would like to see piccies please :)

4. IsisSpots

I didn't get her from the breeder. Should I just contact them anyway?

5. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

Where did you get her from? How old is she?
    You need to ensure he is fully reg and health tested before even considering breeding her. How does she compare to the breed standard?
    I am no expert but I would suggest taking her to some shows, meeting other breeders and seeing what the judges say about her. If she does well and they think she's a good example of the breed, and health tests are clear, then find yourself a mentor. Have a look on the gccf site for shows.
    If she doesn't follow the standard of points for her breed then there is no point breeding from her at all.

Perhaps you can find her breeder and have a chat with them?

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Yes. The breeder may well not know her cat has been sold on, the person you got her from should have OKd it with the breeder. The breeder will also be best places to give you all the advice you need.

BTW I think they are very attractive cats - I like the Bronze best of all.

7. IsisSpots

I got her from the person who got her from the breeder. She will be two in April. I think she is a good example of the breed, unless I am just biased :001_tongue: and I will of course make sure she is fully health tested, just looking for information on what things she needs to be tested for etc.

8. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

I'm not sure but someone will be able to advise soon im sure. I would still contact the breeder myself if I was you. She may be able to mentor you which would be fab. Wishing you all the best :)

9. IsisSpots

That's what I was thinking, I want to contact them anyway just to make sure all is ok.

how do i add pictures?

10. IsisSpots

ooh i did it!
    Isis.jpg Isis2.jpg
    Isis with my other cat Tinks Isis&Tinks.jpg

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

As you say, unless she has been shown then it isn't really possible to know how she compares to the standard given the OP seems to be new to the breed.

The GCCF 'pink slip' should make it clear if she is on the active or not.

Some Googling suggests that the only health problems with the breed are slipping kneecaps, and heart problems. The OP does, of course, need to be sure her cat is free of them before breeding her, and the original breeder might be some help.

I hope the OP knows why she was sold, and 2 strikes me as quite late for a first litter for this breed.

There is also a breed club for Maus in the UK, I'd advise the OP to join:

http://www.egyptianmaus.co.uk/

#11 OrientalSlave, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  12. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Echo the comments above. I would suggest you definitely contact the breeder - I do wonder if the cat was sold with a contract originally? Research here is the key and if the original breeder will mentor you so much the better. Check all your (the registration) paperwork is in order. Did the person who sold the cat to you say why they were doing so and did they indicate she had had a litter?

13. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

You really do need to get in touch with the breeder if you don't have a mentor. With this breed you are extremely limited in your choice of available studs and you are going to need a 'friend' to effect introductions. You're also going to have to have deep pockets for stud fees.

14. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

blimey you got to know the breed standard qucikly to know that she is a good example! Took me about a year and Im still learning and devloping in it! Her spots look quite stripy, not too up to date on the EM standard, is that allowed?

EM are a small coummunity of breeders and not alot fo them in the UK, I cant see a breeder selling a girl on active without a contract she she has to be neutered if she is re-homed.

Id neuter her, get yourself to some shows do homework, read the cost of breeding sticky, then make friends with breeders, then get a girl on active down the line :)

15. catlover0581

catlover0581 PetForums VIP

think i may have to leave PF....because i just want one of every breed i see!!!! lol

oh i can't wait for the kids to grow up and move out - i know just what i'll do with their bedrooms ;) lmao

16. spacedementia

spacedementia PetForums Member

Completely irrelevant sorry, but my Charlie is the spitting image of Isis!! :eek:

17. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

She is certainly a beautiful girl :001_wub: and I can only echo what others have said regarding checking with her breeder regarding her status. Joining a breed club is an excellent idea - you may find that you need the signature of another member to sponsor you.

18. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

completly off topic i know......
    but u have very very, VERY beautiful cats!:001_wub::001_tt1:

^^^^^
    otherwise i can only echo what has been said!

19. IsisSpots

thanks for the comments
    The previous owner said he could no longer keep her as they were moving house and he also said she has had a litter before.
    I have the pink slip which says she is active.
    I tried to contact the breeder through their website but it doesn't seem to be working :(

20. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Hmmnn seems a bit of a lame excuse for selling her!

Is there not a phone number on the breeder's site you can use? If you do want to do this properly you should make every effort to make sure the girl's breeder is on board so to speak - it will make life a lot easier in the long run - particularly when it comes to finding appropriate stud boys etc.:)

Have you transferred the girl over into your name - you should do that. You should also, as already advised, join the breed club, especially if you want to become a registered breeder and want a prefix from GCCF.