My Shetland's Stiff

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by Oey, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Oey

Oey PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone,

So, I have a Shetland who is nearing her 20's (I think she's about 18) and she's been out in the pasture for most of the winter, coming in mainly just for farrier visits. Yesterday we noticed that she's walking a bit off, originally we thought she just had something in her hoofs since she isn't showing any signs of floundering, but after we clean out her feet and gave her a bit of rest inside she still isn't walking quite right, she's leaving her feet on the ground for as long as possible and not taking as big of steps as normal. The farriers do soon and I'm going to get the vet out to look at her, but I was just wondering what I could do for her in the meantime.

2. Sweety

Sweety PetForums VIP

Does she have a history of laminitis?

Calvine likes this.
  3. Laylah63

Laylah63 PetForums Junior

Hi I hav

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Is she rocking back on her heels which is something that they sometimes do with laminitis which @Sweety suggested? If it is laminitis, the farrier will have a good idea so let him have a look first. It normally happens when the spring grass is coming thro' but I knew a couple of Shetlands who were very prone to it and actually showed symptoms when it was snowing. Sometimes with laminitis there will be heat in the foot...not always.

5. Laylah63

Laylah63 PetForums Junior

I think most importantly your farrier can tell you what is going on with her. Meantime all you can do is keep her warm and comfortable. A nice deep bed will encourage her to rest if she needs to. Good luck with her

6. Sweety

Sweety PetForums VIP

Her problem could be laminitis, or arthritis. Reluctance to 'walk out' or extend her legs could be caused by either.

Certainly, your Farrier is the best judge in the first place.

It may be best to keep her in, if you can, until he can assess her.

7. Oey

Oey PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone, I'm going to get the farrier out a few days earlier and see what she says, but I think it might be laminitis and I'll keep her in.
    Again thank you

8. Sweety

Sweety PetForums VIP

Good luck and will you let us know how she goes on please?

9. Oey

Oey PetForums Newbie

I will definitely let you all know how she does.