My Pug Girl due to whelp anyday =)

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by mel, May 16, 2010.

1. mel

mel PetForums Member

yes exciting times will be my first pug litter :D

#1 mel, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

My pug had no normal signs of imminent whelping at all before she had her pups so dont rely on that. She then popped 6 of them out in about an hour no problems at all, easiest whelping ever!! But from your research you will know that is pretty rare with a pug so do make sure to have your vet on standby if theres any problems.

Glad to hear you have health tested yours, so few people bother with pugs as they are more interested in profit! Makes me so mad. And hopefully you have got the Book of the Bitch anyway as it is a dog breeders bible :D lol

Good luck!

3. mel

mel PetForums Member

oh ffs i tried to edit my spellin n ended up deleting most of it :/ im so crap with computers !! ahhh ta for that did ur girl have any milk b4 whelping ? xx

4. mel

mel PetForums Member

Yeah my vet is on stand by he knows im hoping for a self whelp with her....until the KC insist on tests then ppl wnt bother..im an accredited breeder though mainly in Bulldogs but there are no standard testing for Pugs so anybody can breed them without testing its all wrong...

Frankie was checked by our vet b4 breeding...Louie our stud is checked regular due to being used at stud both are fine :) thankfully

5. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Ooops! lol!!!

My girl didnt have a huge amount of milk until after the pups were born, which again was different to what we've found before with breeding the labs who always have tonnes of milk before the pups arrive.

This was my beautiful girl a week before they arrived, you can see she has hardly any milk there. As soon as the pups were here she started producing loads of milk :D

[​IMG]

6. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Thats good to hear :thumbup:

I have a poor little pug with HV so im very strict about testing all of my dogs for that once they are 12 months. The breed clubs recommend that but the KC havent even caught up with that yet, its shameful!! :rolleyes:

7. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Good luck Mel and to Mum

x
    WOW look at that tum!!:eek: :)

8. mel

mel PetForums Member

ahhh she is lovely she looks a lot like my boy ( ive no idea how to put pics up :()

frankie isnt has big as ur girl but she is uneven so maybe 3..2 in one horn n 1 in the other :D

Its very shamefull n at times i dnt wnt to tell ppl im an accredited breeder coz in a lot of breeds theres nothing to it :( xx

9. mel

mel PetForums Member

thanks deb xxx

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Well done for being such a responsible breeder, not meant to be patronising but it's so rare. Good luck to you and Frankie and hopefully she won't need a c-section

11. mel

mel PetForums Member

thanks nicky im determined to let her try shes looking a bit fed up now bless her x

12. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

My girl got very fed up for a few days leading up to the whelping :( They dont seem to enjoy being pregnant!!

As its your first pug litter and you may not be aware I thought i would mention that you need to be prepared to hand raise the pups. Most pug bitches wont take to their pups right away, my own girl would lie and feed them if you sat with her but wouldnt voluntarily sit with them and clean them. It wasnt for a few days before she suddenly got the hang of it which is actually very good in pug terms. But I have heard of many, many stories where mums just refuse to raise the pups and several breeders i know of have even had bitches destroy the litters :eek: Hopefully your girl will be a good mum and take to it easily but do be prepared for the worst.

13. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

:eek: are breeders trying to do anything about that like breeding bitches that are good mums more than ones that are bad?

14. mitch4

mitch4 PetForums VIP

good luck for a safe delivery x

15. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Well, you dont know whether they are good mums until you breed them :confused:

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'm not thinking obviously that's obvious.

17. mitch4

mitch4 PetForums VIP

:D dont worry Nicky its gone logical time where we shoudl all be sleeping :p

18. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I understand where you're coming from... of course you can't know how good a mum is til she has pups, but you could try to select your breeding girls from litters where the mum and grandmother were good mothers, as maternal instinct is hereditary too (good and bad).

However if you are trying to work within the confines of tested dogs only, then choice might be limited :(

Bit of a Catch-22 really, and it must be very frustrating to know there are breeders out there producing untested - potentially poorly - pups from girls who pop them out like peas and have pots of maternal instinct.

19. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Yet I can explain to someone clearly why someone offering them an english bulldog puppy for $250 and offering to ship the puppy to them without seeing them is more than likely scamming them

I guess it is hard because they can only choose from health tested parents hopefully and yet have to get ones from maternal lines but surely it's worth trying

20. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Indeed, there are very few people health testing even now its a recommended thing by the breed club :rolleyes:

But I would hope that anyone who has a bitch who rejects the pups and kills the litters (usually by accident through complete lack of maternal instinct, digging through bedding etc) would not breed from her again. I dont see anything wrong in breeding from a bitch like mine who took a few days to get the hang of it cos many dogs of all different breeds find the experience rather overwhelming for a few days, but if they get the hang of it and start being good mums then I dont see that as a problem at all!

And yes, picking self whelping lines is definately important. My girl was from very healthy, self whelping lines which I knew before breeding her, but you never know what might go wrong so its always best to be prepared for the worst!