My poor Bella!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by aesir22, Apr 9, 2012.

1. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

I'm so sad :(

On Friday, Bella went missing. She never leaves the house for more than a few minutes - she normally can't even get out of the yard because she can't jump very well!

My neighbour found her and brought her to me. She had been hit by a car. She was covered in blood and crying so pitifully - she'd been trying to drag herself home. Her right eye was completely bust, swollen to 5 times its size out of her head. Her right back leg was out of joint and her lower jaw is fractured.

Took her to the vets who thankfully gave her pain meds straight away. We then got her transferred to a hospital who took a full look at her. Her eye will have to be removed. They are doing xrays this morning to determine the damage to jaw and leg. They are hoping it just gonna be a dislocated leg that can pop back in without the fracture and just a simple rewiring for the jaw but they won't know until the results come back.

I asked about all options as I don't want her life to be inhibited or painful if she undergoes surgery. They said there is no reason why she wouldn't lead a perfectly fine life if they can fix her up. The eye shouldn't bother her too much they said, and when I think on I have seen quite a few one eyed cats over the years.

I rang them this morning to see how she had been through the night. Thankfully she had been great - purring a lot, rolling over to get her tummy tickled, even managed to get to the litter tray and go to the toilet which is good as it shows things inside are still working. They said her heart is still strong so just gotta wait for xrays now. I was so heartbroken when I got her back and saw how bad she looked - I don't think people understand if they don't have pets of their own but she is a part of the family, I adore her.

The bills are going to be pricey. In the excess of £3000. I was going to get insurance on her when I got her but so many people talked me out of it. I'm going to get it now (obviously wont cover this cost). I'm not bothered about the expense, she is worth it, but does anyone know of any way to get help with vet bills? I know its a major longshot but thought I would ask anyway!

Sorry to rant on, just needed to vent! I haven't slept well thinking of hr poor pitiful crying, but knowing she is pain free and hopefully fixable I feel a lot better!

Daniel

2. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

You poor thing, my thoughts go out to your brave little cat. I'm so glad she's had a good night - I'm sure she'll be back to being her normal self very soon; cats can manage very well with one eye :).

As for help with vet bills - is Bella insured?

3. JTK79

JTK79 PetForums Member

Poor Bella :( Cant help with the bills sorry! Just want to wish her a speedy recovery and hope she is home with you soon :)

4. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

No she isn't. I was going to insure her but so many people told me it was a waste of money I shouldn't bother. In hindsight I know I should have insured her anyway but whats done is done.

She must be a fighter to have gotten through it all. I pray the xrays come back with positive results. I miss her desperately :( the hospital she is at is amazing. The staff are sooooo nice and helpful and have been with her the whole night. She'll be loving having people waiting on her every whim!

5. Tylah

Tylah PetForums Member

How awful, poor girl. Good job your neighbour spotted her and brought her to you. How can someone know they've hit an animal and just drive on.

Fingers crossed there is no internal damage and she's back home soon.

6. harrys_mum

harrys_mum PetForums VIP

thinking of you and poor bella.
    hope things go well for her, she sounds good today at least shes happy in herself.
    michelle x

7. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

I know! I mean fair enough, cats run out on roads and its bound to happen. It can't be avoided. But to hit something and just ignore it? God I was so angry. The poor girl was so hurt, how could someone not take responsibility and help her??

I'm dying for them to ring me about the xray results. Its killing me not knowing! I would wait at the hospital if I could lol but its and hour away and my housemate has the car.

8. ella

ella PetForums VIP

Bibi and I have everything crossed for Bella

With regards to the cost, my vet does allow monthly payments if needed - it may be worth asking if the hospital and vet can help

Keep us updated

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about Bella but very glad to hear she's in good spirits now! Even though I realise it must be heartbreaking to see her like this, she does sound very lucky to have survived....it could have been soo much worse.

Don't forget as well that final bills are very dependent on X-ray results so costs may not be quite as considerable as original estimates. I would ask vets about a payment plan. I like their positive attitude, by the way!

Wishing Bella a very speedy recovery!

10. Clairey1234

Clairey1234 PetForums Member

aww poor baby! i hope she has a speedy recovery!

as for the vets, like the others said - some do monthly payment plans. i know mine do, so fingers crossed yours does too :)

it's so cruel how people can just drive off when they know they have hit something.
    i know when my cat got hit years ago, the bloke got out of his car and came looking to find me...even though my cat had ran off and was obviously ok, he didn't leave until he knew for sure.

some people are just heartless :(

11. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

Well she STILL hasn't been seen. They said they'd probs ring in the morning when the surgeon started work but he didn't start til a couple of hours ago and he is now in theatre with another animal. I know they have to follow the system its just I've been worrying myself to death all day not knowing if she can be helped. Its tearing me up inside. Plus I'm assuming waiting an extra day is adding to my final bill?

I just want to hear she's gonna be ok. Or just to see what the xrays say. Its a hospital so I don't know if they will operate at night? The thought of her waiting til tomorrow with her eye bulging out like that turns my stomach :(

12. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Poor Bella and you!!
    We have our fingers and paws crossed for you.
    I would would get a break down of the Bill to see if you have had to pay for an extra day as like you said it is not your fault.
    I am sure Bella would have been given pain killers so she should be quite comfortable.
    As for the vet Bill the only thing is to ask for the vet to put it on a payment plan for you.
    Hope everythings works out well for you both very soon.
    Let us know how she is tomorrow xx

13. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC PetForums VIP

Poor Bella Big hugs from me and Sheldon and for you too!

Hope she recovers soon and keep us up dated
    xxx

14. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

Well they called. They are doing xrays and surgery tomorrow all under the same dose of anaesthetic. I'm hoping that the fact they are waiting yet another day means she is going to be ok. They say she's purring and on morphine, moving around the cage and can get to the litterbox.

Its gonna be another sleepless night but hopefully this time tomorrow it'll all be finished and she'll be on the mend and beautiful again.

15. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

They just rang to say she was ok through the night. They are hoping to start xrays and surgery around 1-2pm. She's second on his list after his long procedure.

16. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

She's in surgery now. Surgeon said she has multiple fractures in her skull but that they will heal very quickly by themselves. Eye will be removed. Lower jaw just needs putting back into. Joint and a small rewiring. Small fracture on pelvis that needs a small plate. But he said everything was fine and its all simple procedures. Thank God!!

17. Tylah

Tylah PetForums Member

That's such a relief. When will she be allowed home?

18. lymorelynn

lymorelynn Moderator
    Staff Member

I've just caught up with this - poor Bella :( I hope the surgery goes well and wish her a speedy recovery. You must have been a nervous wreck over the past couple of days :(

19. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

Been so nervous I could barely eat. The surgery went well. Fixed her up but she needs a feeding tube for a while. The fractures in her upper jaw could snap into her nose and brain if she chews.

Nurse rang to say sh'es coming round. But Bella was under anaesthetic for 7 hours instead if 3 so she's being watched closely and being considered critical (is this normal? I'm worried lol). She said because her whole body has been through so much they want to keep an eye on her vitals which are currently stable.

With any luck tomorrow morning I'll be over the worry and getting ready to get her home thursday!

20. catlover0581

catlover0581 PetForums VIP

only just seen this thread...i'm sorry to hear what happened to poor Bella, but really pleased the operation went well and she's stable.

cats are great at bouncing back....get yourself a good nights sleep ready to visit her tomorrow :)

keep us posted on her progress x