My New Old Set Up!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by ellenlouisepascoe, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

I have, on and off had plenty of fish tanks over the years. A little over a year ago we acquired a 155L tank full of Malawi Cichlids however after constant fights for territory and about £160 of fish being killed by one super aggressive male yellow lab we decided to stop with the tank and find homes for the remaining few fish.

The tank has sat on top of my stairs completely empty since, I was toying with the idea of setting it back up however a 155L tank is big commitment, especially when I already have 5 dogs , a husband and everything that comes with it to look after.

As a buffer I pulled out the 90L tank I have had for an extremely long time and I have set that back up and it is cycling.

I thought I would share some pictures and add to this thread as we start to stock the tank!

WhatsApp Image 2017-01-03 at 13.44.57 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-01-03 at 13.44.57 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-01-03 at 13.44.57.jpeg

magpie, kittih and NaomiM like this.
  2. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

What are you planning on stocking? :)

I know the feeling - I have a 70L and a 135L (plus my 5-year-old son's ADF tank as well), and since the birth of my daughter 10 months ago I've been more or less neglecting both tanks apart from feeding and water changes. Both are planted, so are now overgrown with java moss while the other plants are suffering from lack of ferts as I've not been dosing them! The 135L in particular is looking quite empty stock-wise, too, as I think the odessa barbs have been bullying/outcompeting most of the other stock - I've lost about 15 minnows, 3 AFFs and a pleco! :(

ellenlouisepascoe likes this.
  3. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

Lovely tank. That filter, it's a stingray filter isn't it. I used to have one but it gave up the ghost.

4. ellenlouisepascoe

This is the first time I've used real plants! I am praying they take. The cichlids were such hard work and the tank expensive to run at higher Temps than most tropicals. Then the added cost of constantly having to restock because of that evil yellow lab!

I am thinking some cardinals , sunset platys , galaxy rasboras, a male betta ( I am keeping an eye out for a half moon as they aren't common here for some reason ) maybe some cherry barbs... not 100% sure I may cut out the barbs and get some different platys ... I quite like the red micky mouse platys .. I'm also a little tempted by Koi Angels. I REALLY want to set the 155L up for discus but husband isn't interested lol

It is :D I've had it ages never had a problem with it touch wood. It's even been chewed by Skyla slightly!

NaomiM likes this.
  5. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

What plants are they? :)

I wouldn't recommend a male betta in a community tank - sometimes they can work out OK, but often they will either get bullied or be the bully. I'd also say that tank's a bit small for angels. Galaxy rasboras are nice - I'm thinking of getting a few for my 70L now that I have the space since my last elderly platy has gone to fishy heaven! You have a nice sand substrate - will you be getting any bottom dwellers to take advantage of it? :)

6. ellenlouisepascoe

I have been looking online at Sterba's Corydoras however I was a little concerned they might outgrow the tank.. however if I do set my 155L back up they could always be moved at a later date, I don't know much about about bottom dwellers to be honest other than Pleco's we used to have a bristlenosed called Rex and as much as he freaked me out he was awesome.. I've had a couple of male fighters in community tanks in the past there is a store local to me who keep the more placid ones in their community tanks however the more rambunctious ones are kept in little separate tanks. I may save the betta for later as I have seen a lovely smaller tank that would fit on my bedroom dresser and he could live in there we'll see!

I chucked the little cards away for the plants and I can't remember :oops: They were all marked green for "easy to care for"

7. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

Recognised it right away because the shape of it looks like a stingray. I can't have real plants because a certain pleco eats them. Speaking of tanks mine is due another water quality check.

8. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

Sterbai (sterba's) corys are lovely :) Pretty much any cory species would be fine size wise, but make sure they're compatible with your water pH/hardness and temp. My water is hard which limits what I can keep, but I have bronze corys in my 70L tropical tank and peppered corys in my 135L temperate tank. They may not be the most colourful of fish, but they make up for it in personality - I find myself watching the corys more than any of my other fish :)

Re plants, I'm rubbish at plant IDs, but if the one on the left is java fern, then it needs to be attached to wood etc because the rhizome will rot if it's buried in sand.

9. ellenlouisepascoe

Ahh I will pull that little straggler out of the front then, I only plopped it there because it was leftover and I'd ran of of patience attaching them to the wood :Hilarious The once further towards the back is in a little dent at the back of the wood.

10. ellenlouisepascoe

20170113_211835.jpg

A terrible picture but my first few fish! I have 5 marigold platys , 4 coral red platys ( was 5 but one died on the way home) and some baby neon tetras. My plants aren't dying but certainly don't seem to be flourishing I am half tempted to give up on them already! All water tests showing good parameters .... is it too early to start setting up the 155L ... hmm maybe!

NaomiM and magpie like this.
  11. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

barbs will eat the fins of both the betta and the angels
    full grown angels will look on cardinals and neons as live food
    the angels and betta are also better in slow moving water so their fins dont get damaged
    more than one angel will eventually turn into a pack of bullies

just my experiences,
    tank looks great xxx

NaomiM and ellenlouisepascoe like this.
  12. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Looks very nice :)

I find live plants to be such a headache sometimes, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them myself. Can't get anything to grow in my big tank despite trying for many years, the goldfish just rip everything to shreds, but my smaller tank is flourishing to the point where it's looking a bit crowded without me doing anything to encourage it :rolleyes:

13. ellenlouisepascoe

First time I've ever tried live plants! I keep looking at the liquid fertilisers but I'm so wary of putting anything into the tank to mess with my water parameters!
    We have decided the only other addition to this tank will be some galaxy rasboras in a few months time.... now I have my thinking hat on as what to do with the 155L ... I LOVE goldfish love the fancies like Orandas / Ranchus and Lionheads but it would be cool to have a larger community of tropical too... so undecided!

14. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

This is what I used to use in the goldfish tank, and it worked well until the little monsters ate everything in sight: http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/dry-chemicals/starter-kits/ei-starter-kit.html

Because you get the dry salts and mix in the water yourself, they last for ages. I found it much cheaper than buying liquid fertilisers :)

Goldfish are lovely, they are such characters, but they are sooo messy! I swore I wasn't going to get anymore, but then mine laid eggs and now I have a bunch of 3 day old babies that I have grown ridiculously attached to :rolleyes: :D

15. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

Your plants look fine to me - the ones you have are slow growers so don't expect any dramatic growth for a while!

I also use the dry salts from APF. My tap water is already over 40PPM for nitrate, so I don't dose anything with nitrate in - just potassium phosphate and trace elements on alternating days, plus a daily dose of liquid carbon.

What are the dimensions of the 155L, and what type of water do you have? :)

16. ellenlouisepascoe

Thanks guys I will take a look into it! I am waiting for my API freshwater kit replacement to arrive but from what I can remember my water is moderately hard so between 150 - 200 for carbon hardness. Really low on nitrites / nitrates and around 9Ph. I have been taking my tank water to my local fish store to get tested while I wait for it to arrive, maybe I'll take a tap sample through tomorrow too :D

NaomiM likes this.
  17. ellenlouisepascoe

NaomiM likes this.
  18. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

you are a wicked wicked person @ellenlouisepascoe

you have forced me to realise how much i miss have a tank grrr
    when my husband passed, I gave his 6ft tank contents, stand and all bits and bobs away, yep gave them away! it hurt far to much
    ive been determined not to have another and the dragons live in the space it used to take up

now youve started it :D

NaomiM likes this.
  19. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

If it were me, I think I'd be considering a rainbowfish setup :) Another option is a temperate tank - that's what I've done with my 135L :)

kittih likes this.
  20. ellenlouisepascoe

Just as I complain about my plants and say to my husband I think they are a failure they start pearling!

20170115_201443.jpg