My hens are randomly dieing

Discussion in 'Poultry Health and Nutrition' started by RachyBobs, Mar 9, 2010.

1. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

Any Hen people out there that know more than me? :(

I bought in 30 rode island red hybrids last year, I already had some Heinz 57 hens as a friend gave me some black rocks and some white leghorn hens and they bred and I ended up with all sorts! Anyway since bringing the 30 new hens my origanal hens started dieing off, randomly dieing or sitting with fluffed up feathers, not eating and eventully dieing. I am baffled - I had 50 hens I am down to 25 and another has just died and 1 is not eating and looking generally ill. Its been a year now and its been a 1 hen a week dieing..

The symptoms are sometimes they seem to sway to 1 side as if they are weighed down by the wing on that particular side, pale comb and wattle and they fluff up there feathers and hunch in a corner away from the others and eventully they dont come out the hen house and die.

Any help?

2. tillymaud

tillymaud PetForums Junior

Hi

The only way to be sure of illness is to take one of the dead hens to the vets for blood tests or one thats not well. Sorry i can't help more.

3. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

funny this happened to a friend of mine a while back. She got some new hens (ex battery hens) and the original hens started dying off.. same thing... a couple just dropped dead, some of them stopped eating went really light then died. Never got to the bottom of it. She mustve lost about 10 hens in total??

Could the new hens be carrying anything?? I know nothing about hens btw!

4. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

Yes its just like that! Im not sure.. they came from a hug place were this guy bred and sold layers - there were 1000's of hens and they all seemed fine.. hmm

5. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

i really dont know.. my friends hens were always very healthy and went downhill very fast.
    can you not take one of the new birds to the vet to check they arent carrying anything?