my cat just had kittens 4 days ago all infested with fleas HELP!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sarah2030, Aug 28, 2013.

1. sarah2030

sarah2030 PetForums Junior

Hi my cat has given birth to four gorgeous kittens and their all infested with fleas what can I do to get rid of them as ive read up on fleas bein fatal to kittens so young also before anyone suggests ive already spoke to vet and they said use frontline spray on them but ive read back of spray and it says only to be used on kittens 8 weeks and older and my cat is also nursing so cant give her it either ive dun the old fashions flea comb and bathing ect but its not workin can anyone help ? X

2. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

you seriously have no choice but to treat them. read my stories on the kittens i rescued and you will see what happens if you don't do it. from what i understand you can spray a cloth with the spray then rub it over the kittens - whatever you do though, get them treated. you'll regret it if you don't. just to add you will more than likely need to use a wormer too but make sure you use an appropriate one
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-heal...tory-about-rescue-cats-kittens-so-poorly.html

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-chat/321175-baby-faith-has-just-gone-rainbow-bridge.html

3. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

What a tragic account. I hadn't seen this thread before - it was heartbreaking. I agree that the OP must treat her kittens - but (and I know little of such things) if she rubs frontline over the kittens using a cloth, is the mammy cat not likely to get poisoned when she washes them? Or is it the lesser of two evils?

If mothercat is treated, and all bedding etc will it be possible to check over ALL kittens and the mother cat every day, catch the fleas and crush the little buggers between your thumbnails, or would this cause too much disruption and stress for mammy cat?

People who want to breed puppies and kittens have no idea of the stress and worry involved if you love your animals and don't regard them as expendable.

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Would it be worth taking mum and kittens down to the vets so they can treat them for you, they are more experienced in handling flea treatments.
    I don't know if it is a bad idea to suggest moving them like this, but I do know that as CG says, they have to be treated.
    Could you ask a vet nurse to do a house visit??

5. Figaro

Figaro PetForums Member

Please treat them ASAP. Most vets offer free kitten checks and the flea stuff should cost about £25

Poor things :(

6. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

you can use frontline spray on kittens from 2 days old, pump on spray on a cotton wool ball, do a ball for each kitten, wipe starting on the tummy, avoiding where the cord has been and wipe under the back legs, final wipe along the back from tail to neck so you are pushing fur upwards.

You have to treat mum aswell, ask the vet what to use on lactating queens, i have in the past used advocate but that was purely on the advise from my vet as its not been tested on lactating queens by the company.

7. sarah2030

Hi thank you for your advice I do have an appointment on monday 9th sept for cat and kittens but is that not too long away? I took them in as rspca wouldnt help or any cat and dog shelters its dreadful really I cudnt just leave them im on benefit too with two small children so cant really afford much but ill try my best just think its horrible how ppl get pets and dont spay them nd just chuck them out like there garbage I hate it so u cud imagine wen I found these little guys and mammy outside in the cold I was devastated but im tryin my best anyway thank you xxx

8. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Much too long away, yes, especially if you're not using the Frontline spray as catcoonz described (are you using it? You really must if not!). Fleas can kill young kittens in a much shorter time than that, sadly. :(

9. muffin789

muffin789 PetForums Senior

You do need to treat mum and kittens asap. I know it's hard when money's tight but there's a heartbreaking thread on here about kittens who were infested with fleas so badly, and not treated by their previous owner, they all passed away :( No kitten deserves that.

Good on you for taking them in, and yes there are some awful people around who just don't care. Please do Frontline these little ones so they have a fighting chance xx

10. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I've bought a natural flea spray from someone on facebook who sells herbal pet products. So far only one treatment and not had any fleas. I use a syringe so they don't get scared by the spray.

11. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Sorry but this annoys me.....
    Are you seriously saying these newborn kittens still have fleas and you are not doing anything about them until 9TH SEPTEMBER.......

Well im not normally blunt but you can cancel that appointment as by this time all the kittens will be dead, kittens with fleas will get anemia very quickly, will fade, stop feeding, go skinny and die, thats the true fact for not treating young kittens for fleas.

There is no reason even if you did rescue the mum and kittens that a vet would not see them urgently to flea treat, this is kittens young lives you have in your hands.

Also the longer you dont treat mum the many more 100 flea eggs are in your home, its annoying to get rid of but the situation gets worse.

NOW GO AND GET THESE POOR BABIES FLEA TREATED.

12. cats galore

completely agree with you CC. as many of you know i have just gone to hell and back caring for 4 tiny kittens infested with fleas due to a previous owner not treating them. one by one these babies died in my hands:(. it broke my heart to watch helplessly as they got weaker and weaker. OP if you want to know what this feels like, by all means wait until 9th september, you too will feel the heartbreak that i felt. i can even show you photographic evidence of one of the dead kittens covered in huge fleas that i took to prove to the rspca - not that they gave a damn about them. please please get them treated asap. you really have waited too long already so you need to get a move on now if you want to save these precious lives

13. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

14. clareuk

clareuk PetForums Member

Lola was pregnant when she came to us and then we found out she had fleas, it was a nightmare trying to get rid of them before the kittens came along but everyone on this forum really helped me with lots of great advice. I think the one pump of frontline pump spray on a cotton ball would be the best way as suggested but you are best to have a chat with a vet ASAP. I completely understand about money situations and you are really trying to help but the kittens and the cat will need treatment, could you not go to the PDSA? Be aware that the adult fleas you see only make up 5% of the flea cycle. The rest are eggs larvae and pupae stages in your home. To break the cycle, wash all bedding on 60 wash regularly. Change cat/kitten bedding daily, keep using the flea comb and Hoover Hoover Hoover everywhere! Then empty the Hoover into a bag outside and tie it up. The vet will suggest a treatment for the home, I wouldn't know because of the young kittens.

15. sarah2030

Ok does it have to be frontline as the pet shop near mine is gettin me one that I can use one 1 to two week old kittens xx

16. cats galore

if i was you i'd find out what the spray is that the pet shop can get, then call a vet and ask if it is any good. some of the brands are useless tbh, and you really don't want to risk their lives if you aren't sure

17. clareuk

clareuk PetForums Member

I'm only really going by my personal experience and advice that I got
    From others on this forum so in all honesty Sarah don't know but what I would say is in my opinion (and it is only an opinion others may disagree) any treatment that is safe to use on the kittens has to be better than none! The Treatment the pet shop gives you mixed with lots of cleaning should at the very least keep the flea population down enough to keep the kittens out of the danger zone.

18. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't rely on untested 'natural' products. 'natural', 'safe' and 'effective' are three completely different things and the tested products are both safe and effective if used in accordance with the instructions.

I would treat mum with a good worm & flea product from the vet, treat the kittens with the Frontline pump-action spray, change all their bedding and wash the old bedding hot (60C) and line dry it, or discard it. If you have any other pets they all need treating as well. Don't get Bob Martins or similar, they are ineffective and/or unsafe.

Don't undertreat - this will only help resistance develop, the same as it does with antibiotics when people don't complete the course or take it as directed.

Keep changing the bedding each day - fleas lay eggs which drop off into the environment and hatch into larvae which eventually pupate. They can hang around in nooks & crannies in the house for ages, so I'd also think seriously about treating the whole house as the fleas came from somewhere.

Lots of great info about fleas on this page:
    Fleas and flea control in cats | international cat care

Mum should be wormed - Milbemax is from the vet and is easiest as it's a small pill. Or, you can buy Panacur online or at Pets4Homes but it's messy and you have to give it three days running.

Finally, if you let mum out she will almost certainly get pregnant again quite soon. Keep her in until your vet will neuter her, probably when the kittens are 10 weeks or so.

19. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

It needs to be the Frontline pump action spray - the spot-ons are not for young kittens. You might have to go to the vets for it. I'd get a good spot-on from the vet for mum.

20. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

As OS has already posted, Frontline Spray is the only treatment you can use on kittens under 9 weeks old, pet shops do not sell this.

Each day you leave treating these kittens the weaker they will become and i can tell you digging tiny graves for kittens is heartbreaking and this can be avoided if only you go and get frontline spray from the vet and stop messing around.