Male Dog not wanting to mount

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by unclewalter, Oct 12, 2008.

1. unclewalter

unclewalter PetForums Newbie

This might be an unusual problem. My female is heat and keeps trying to get my male to mount her but he won't. He is interested and will smell and lick but he won't hump or mount her. She has been in heat for 7 days and the bleeding is now minimal. I was wondering if there is anything I could do to get him to hump her. Otherwise I might have o go to the the vet. PLEASE HELP

2. Blaxen

Blaxen PetForums Member

All I can say at the moment is :eek: why do you want them to mate ? there are many questions I want to ask

3. borderer

borderer Guest

becouse she wants puppies

4. Rach

Rach PetForums Senior

She wants puppies ? How do you know that ?
    What breed ?
    Some dogs won't mate a bitch they live with, so may have to find a different stud dog

5. borderer

borderer Guest

well that is why you mate them

6. unclewalter

They are english bulldogs. I am mating them to make puppies. This is both of theirs first time.

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If she's only been in season for 7 days she may not be ready. The earliest I've mated a bitch is 9 days

8. garryd

garryd Guest

Thats true ! I have a two bitches here and one male! But i still have to go to stud cause my male is to scared of his two bitches to
    mount them! Although he will sniff and lick all day long :rolleyes::D

9. noushka05

noushka05 Leftie Extremist/Eco-Warrior

she probably wouldnt want puppies if she knew she'd more than likely need a ceasarian, please think carefully before you go ahead my friends bullmastiff died having a ceasarian she was left with 10 puppies to hand rear only 4 survived. Also have they both had all the recommended health tests for the breed?

10. tashi

tashi Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Can I ask Uncle Walter if you have done your homework on breeding before deciding to go down this road, bulldogs are not easy whelpers and more often than not require a ceasarian section.

11. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

We also ended going out to a stud,as our dog refused to mate our bitch,we knew she was ready.
    We took her to the stud dog within a minute they tied and we had a litter of six pups,we had whelping complications with that litter and lost two pups,one was still born the other got stuck and was dead :(

12. clueless

clueless Banned

Bit reluctant to give my input as do not know if you have done your homework re your breed and have all the necessary health tests carried out:confused:So would not really like to help if unethical/ unresponsible breeding.
    Anyway I have found if the dog lives with bitch try and get someone to take him away from bitch until her 9-11 day, this has always worked for me.
    I am hoping you are doing thr right thing and not just breeding your pets for money:(

13. unclewalter

I have brought both my male and the bitch to the vet and have done health tests on them. I am doing this as a favour for my brother in law who has been breeding for more than five years. He really liked how my male turned out and he wanted to introduce new blood into his dogs. Last night my male has started to mount her but another problem arose. My male is really short and stocky and he can't reach the bitch. He is about 4 inches too low. I spoke with my brother in law and he said that I might need guide him in wearing gloves or boost him up. I was wondering if anybody else has encountered this problem and what you did to resolve it. Everytime I try to help, one of them stops and pulls away.

Thanks

14. clueless

clueless Banned

Okay obviously not just jumping right in then without testing etc...
    As your Brother in law suggested you will need to guide dog in, as he is your dog it would be easier for you to handle him.
    If you could get 2 people who bitch knows to hold bitch it may be easier, 1 holding her head and talking to her and the other 1 holding her back end higher

15. I apolygise in advance if I am wrong - but this reads like a wind up to me!
    SW

16. Sgurr

Sgurr PetForums Senior

Having recently seen a news report where someone lost (and then regained )a litter of bulldogs worth £2000 per pup, sorry but if your dog is not big enough to mount the bitch he is not going to be breed standard for a bulldog. Or are you looking for a cross- breed?
    If you specify the health checks the pair have been tested for (and I can look them up on the KC site) then I'll try to help. Otherwise, no, not getting involved with Back Yard Breeding.

Sgurr

17. Blaxen

Blaxen PetForums Member

I agree here with what you are saying Sgurr as I would say that one of them isn't breed standard as there shouldn't be that much of a problem (not 4" anyway!)

18. clueless

clueless Banned

LOL You are probably right but I am fed up with these type of posts and if you retaliate you get the blame LOL Cannot seem to win at times but okay Try them in the Missionary position or position 54

19. yvonnep5261

yvonnep5261 PetForums Newbie

English bulldogs are known to be difficult to breed sometimes (hence they are expensive as it is a costly and time consuming). Many breed by AI. Contact well known breeders - try the Bulldog Council - if you want to breed good healthy pups and not just for the money that pups fetch. Have you allowed for the cost of C-section birth? 9 out of 10 bitch whelp by C-section. If you do not know exactly what you are doing contact someone to advise you on this - not really for the novice.

#19 yvonnep5261, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  20. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

correct me if im wrong did i read this is first time for both dogs? if so for a maiden bitch u need a proven dog and thats after relevant health tests