low fat dog food Burns/Chappie..etc

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by paddyjulie, Apr 1, 2010.

1. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Right just following on form another thread in Chat...

Mavis needs a very low fat food ...at the moment she is on RC low fat tinned this is costing me £180 a month:eek: :eek:....now i love my girl...but.. this cannot go on long term...so i have found chappie to be of low fat...and burns hyperallergenic chicken and rice also to be low fat...
    In my mind i am more going to go towards getting the burns
    Does anyone feed their dogs the Burns hyperallergenic if so what do you think about it ??

and any other input on types of low fat food would be appreciated.

juliex

2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

sorry if you've mentioned it elsewhere haven't seen it what is her complaint then i'll know what to look for in food

3. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

H Thanks..
    Pancreatitis which has also caused damage to her liver :( :( I dont mind keeping her on the RC LF until all her enzyme levels hopefully come down...but long term its just a little too expensive..

Juliex

4. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

I put my dog on Burns and it did"nt agree with him,I had him on Chappie which was great but he suddenly would"nt eat it,for the last 5 weeks I have had him on Wafcol Salmon and Potatoe and he"s doing great on it he also loves it which is a help if you have a look on there site it gives you quite alot of info:)

5. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I know the difference with Chappie is it is fish based and therefore easier to digest and gentler on the digestion system. Some dogs don't tolerate chicken very well. Haven't tried burns.

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

could you feed boiled chicken and rice, when my little boy had had pancreatitis this was all he ate

8. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

That is what i was feeding her at first but...she would just pick out the Chicken and was not eating very much at all... perhaps i could put some chicken in with the RC LF and try her on that now.. perhaps this would fill her a little more??
    Normally she has a diet of raw meat.. veg etc..
    I have noticed this morning that in between her toes seem a little yeasty not sure if this is the food causing it...will have to bathe them tonight

Juliex

9. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

10. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

Burns is a really good food and i do believe is suitable for dogs with pancreatitis. Its a great food for keeping excess weight off dogs.

11. Robertdavid

Robertdavid Banned

You could try Natural Instinct's complete Tripe food - it's about 2.3% fat, totally natural, includes fruit and veg. Most dogs seem to love tripe. My four all go mad for it - and it doesn't smell either! Natural Instinct - High Quality Natural Dog Food

12. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Thats the food ive been thinking of, it is supposed to be a great food, never tried it but looks very good. Ideal if it is 2.5% fat I cant see any breakdown ;)

13. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

It looks very good food...never heard of it before...

Thanks

Juliex

14. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

If its the one im thinking of they use human grade meat bought from Smithfields market London. Only a small firm but their ingredients are very good

15. Robertdavid

Robertdavid Banned

16. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Cheers I wish i knew this was around before Mavis became ill...but i think. but not certain that the true fat value is different to what it says on the packet in all wet food not this one in particular....its something to do with the moisture content... i know this is the case with the protein.. i am just waiting of someone confirming this on a yahoo group i have joined

Juliex

#16 paddyjulie, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  17. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

its only the tripe one thats 2.3%, id favour a more regular kibble like lamb or chicken myself but the choice is there I suppose

#17 james1, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  18. joony 50

joony 50 PetForums Newbie

Hi I feed my boxer on burns she has loads of allergies so give her the fish or lamb one. It is brill keeps her weight good & no more allergies. She loves it too, also add a tin of tuna or if we're having lamb or beef i'l ad some gravy & veg.to it so not so dry.

19. Janus

Janus PetForums Newbie

My dog has pancreatitis and liver problems and has to have low fat food. The problem I have is finding what she will eat each day. Mealtimes are a nightmare. We have been through Hills i/d, wet and dry, chappie, mashed potato and chicken, scrambled egg. Today all she will eat are Bonios and Shapes. I am at my wits end. I wish I could just ask her what she wanted and she could tell me. I haven't tried Burns yet but will now.

20. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP