Low energy owner, high energy dog... can it work?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by burngirlpromqueen, Jul 5, 2011.

1. burngirlpromqueen

burngirlpromqueen PetForums Junior

Not to overreact or anything, but I don't know if that is the most helpful thing to say on this thread... it's not like people with depression feel better by thinking "well it could be worse, I could have ____." When I think like that it just makes me feel guilty for being sad when I have such an awesome life otherwise.

Also, severe anxiety leaves me "buzzing" and unable to relax OR concentrate on doing anything other than worry, and doesn't exactly help with sleep so I'm sure if we traded problems none of us would be much happier. :yesnod:

Yes! One of the main reasons I decided to take Jack in was that, firstly, people are constantly telling me to exercise more but it was hard without a motivating labrador, and secondly that it'd be beneficial for me to have something to keep me occupied and stop me from feeling isolated. He is very therapeutic. (I mean, he also drives me insane with worry and with destroying my shoes, but at least he take me for walks and forces me to meet new people at the park.)

He stole a frisbee off another dog at the park once, so I guess he would like one of his own...

#21 burngirlpromqueen, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. zigzoe

zigzoe PetForums Member

I know I for one would not make it without my dogs. I think there will always be guilt that you are not enough for your dog no matter the person or the breed. Just like mom guilt.

I'm off during the summer but during the school year I am gone 9-12 hours. I found a cute little boy who walks my dogs every afternoon for me. He is dirt cheap and as i found out a month or so ago. They LOVE him. I must admit I was jealous. I was home sick one day and when he got here my dogs went ape. They were more energetic then when I come home. Okay maybe not but it felt that way.

I also treat my dogs to a weekly romp at the school up the street they get to run wild and no one bothers us. I must confess that when I lived closer to it I used to use the cemetary. It was great all fenced in and no one complained (coulod be because they weren't alive ;)).

Anyway don't beat yourself up, do the best you can and snuggle him a ton he will be fine.

3. burngirlpromqueen

My decision to get him was very fast, from someone who had just got him from the pound but couldn't keep him so unfortunately I didn't get to select the breed. Actually, the woman who had him before me mentioned he only needed a half hour walk a day :eek:. I had done some research into labs over the week's notice I had before collecting him so thought that sounded far too low... so he's definitely getting more exercise with me thsn he would have with her! If I'd had a choice about breed I think I'd have gone for more of a couch potato, maybe smaller too.

I've bought a throwy thing (I call them that too, lol) and he loves it- maybe I'll put some pictures in the photo section.

A pat dog- is that a dog that visits resthomes and places like that? I'd like that a lot, but he's definitely not calm enough or well-mannered enough to do it... yet. :rolleyes:

All good ideas, I'll try more games and mental challenges with him. As for throwing a ball, my friend had a good idea for doing it safely while he still has unreliable recall- the local park has tennis courts that are spacious, fully fenced, and rarely used.

true.
    Thank you :)

A chuckit, so that's what those things are called. :idea:

He loves playing with other dogs so I really should organize playdates. Time to overcome my social awkwardness...

It's always nice to hear that other people have problems with anxiety and whatnot too, makes it less lonely.:)

We live a walk's distance from the beach, would it be safe for him to swim there? I have some reservations about the thought of him getting washed away.

Guess I could tie him to a long rope. :blink:

4. burngirlpromqueen

Anemia sucks... it always seems to come back... when you need energy the most. :nonod:

I'm definitely considering it- there's one lady I see around and she always has different dogs with her, so she must be a dogwalker...

Cycling would be a good idea, but I think he'd probably knock me off it... I've also had roller blading suggested, but the problem with both of these is he is difficult to walk, pulls a lot, and it could definitely result in a hilarious but dangerous situation where he drags me, on wheels, 400 kilometres before someone stops us... must work on training.

Sounds a bit like a carrot on a stick type thing. I will definitely try and fashion myself a flirt pole.

I kind of think of him as my therapy dog.

I really should utilize the garden more in exercising and entertaining him, I think. Also, I do have family members tha can help so really should tempt them over with cookies more...

I appreciate your comment... while I wouldn't say depression is all about sitting around consciously thinking about sad things I agree that the distraction and the activity can only be beneficial. And my negative thinking is a problem, it's true. Working on it... :closedeyes:

--------

Just to be clear, exercising him significantly less isn't really an option no matter how I feel- I'd feel terribly guilty if I was doing less than the time I've set myself- though on occasions when he got less (like when I had flu recently) he was pretty well behaved on just 40 minutes a day of exercise.

But... I'm going to force myself to do this. And it's good, because he's forcing me to do things. I actually have to get out of bed nowadays.

5. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

I have a high energy Collie X and I am not a particularly fit/high energy person (although fitter now than I was when I got her 2 years ago!)
    She is superb off lead so that is how she gets all the exercise she needs plus she loves to play fetch which wears her out.
    We are always playing and she gets lots of mental stimulation too.
    She is perfect for me :)

6. Spud the Bull Terrier

Spud the Bull Terrier PetForums Senior

As an owner of an extremely high energy dog I’m constantly looking for new ways of tiring him out. There are a lot of thing you can do that will tire your dog out while not leaving you to knackered. Some of these may not be appropriate for all breeds but I’ll leave it up to you to decide

Flirt poles: basically are like a fishing rode with a toy tied to the end, you can get your dog to chase after the toy and keep it just out of their reach. Its great exercise for the dog.

Spring poles: these might not be suitable for all dogs and some people may frown at them. Its basically a toy attached to a spring/inner tube/bungee cord etc etc which in turn is attached to a high point like a tree branch, your dog bites the toy and can pull on it. some people think that it encourages aggression but I think this is rubbish.

Weight pulling: again this may not be suitable for all dogs, but some really enjoy it, and so long as you keep it fun, and don’t overdo it it can really be good exercise for your dog.

Cycling: if you have a bike it’s not to much hard work to cycle for a couple of miles and it’s a really good work out for your dog to run for that kind of distance.

Playing catch: it’s an obvious one but can help to wear your dog out particularly if you do it over some rough ground or in water

Playing with other dogs. If you can meet some other dog owners, there is nothing like having to dogs together to where each other out.

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

There have been some great suggestions. How about going out more often for a walk. Could you fit in a couple of other walks in the day. When I lived in a town my dogs had a long walk first thing in the morning, another long walk around lunch time (depending on my job) and then one at tea time and one last thing at night. When I had boarding kennels I used to walk the dogs 4 times a day too to break the day up for them.
    How about joining your local dog training club and going along to classes - that way you will make doggy friends as well as occupying your dogs mind and then your extra walks can be training sessions doing your homework.

8. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Sorry to mention his name(!) but Caeser Milan:w00t: puts high energy dogs on a treadmill - never tried it myself but has anyone tried this? (could be a good idea for when the weather is really bad?)

9. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

Yeh but then Caeser Milan is bascially a moron :D

10. Cassia

Cassia PetForums VIP

I wouldn't say ALL of the stuff he does is stupid... the treadmill is a great idea in addition to normal walks/run etc.
    He does allot of things that we don't agree with but then again does some things that are a very good idea.
    He's not a bad person (I'm not defending some of his techniques!!) but he does suggest allot of good things allong with the bad.

ONCE AGAIN... NOT DEFENDING MR.MILLAN... just saying there are one or two things he teaches and suggests that aren't a bad idea lol!

#30 Cassia, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011