liverpool dog attack

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Blitz, May 26, 2013.

1. tiatortilla

tiatortilla PetForums VIP

It only bothers me because it makes certain people come out with this sort of thing,
    and when you own that type of dog it's not nice to hear things like this because it's not the breeds fault, it's the irresponsible owners of this particular dog. I don't think this makes me unfeeling, or insensitive - I care very much that such an awful thing has happened but I also don't want my own dog getting tarred with the same brush - the two aren't mutually exclusive imo.
    I feel greatly for this poor man and his family and hope that the owners are brought to justice.

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

You put what I wanted to put...but couldn't think how to put it :arf:

3. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I fully understand that - But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Whether its right or wrong is hear say. :frown:

I do feel sometimes people can take things to personally -There is huge variation within breeds and we all know the problems with byb breeding staffies and the huge amount of very poorly bred SBT crosses. Theres so many of them the chances of them being involved in incidents is more likely than alot of other breeds.

I think you have to remember that people are not talking or referring to your own dog.

We all know the type of owner in which any dog is dangerous in the hands of.

Just feels like when one particular breed is mentioned is causes immense controversy.

There will always be people who prefer certain breeds over others and half the time I think they only make such comments because they want people to 'bite' and people always do ;) :rolleyes:

I just find it a lil sad people end up arguing over the possible breed of dog / the way a paper has written it when an innocent adult has died :-(

#23 Milliepoochie, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  4. tiatortilla

I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, just as Happy Paws is allowed to generalise this type of dog, I'm allowed to say that it bothers me that people do that.

Tia came from a non KC reg pet litter ie. poorly bred. Still doesn't mean she's going to eat someone. And I do take it personally when someone says they're starting to dislike these dogs more and more, because it's personal to me, that includes my dog!

But when it's someone who has made several very anti bull breed comments - they are talking about my dog too, and anyone else on the forum that owns one.

I didn't mean to start picking apart your reply, sorry if it looks that way I just had something to reply to each bit individually! Totally agree with the last part though, and yeah I will 'bite' when someone negatively generalises all dogs of a certain type - sorry if that bothers anyone but as I said before, that doesn't mean I care any less about what happened to this man.

ETA: I personally wouldn't bring up the fact that the papers are calling it a staffy and saying it's uncomfirmed or whatever - the only time I feel the need to chime in is when people start with the generalisations. I don't particularly care that the Daily Mail is speculating on what breed it is - that's to be expected, but I do care that other dog owners are making negative comments on those speculations, if that makes sense.

#24 tiatortilla, May 27, 2013
  5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I don't understand why any dogs breed shouldn't be mentioned if it was involved in an attack. I was mortified when a rescue Mal bit a child in a buggy a few months ago at a charity event, I never once thought it was a slur on my own dogs but I did think it should be pts - Mall or not, wrong handler or not because as Milliepoochie has said we don't need that sort of dog in our society.

I don't know why other owners take it personally although I do understand there is a great deal of prejudice towards bull breeds these days and that's because so many are now of very uncertain character. While they are the most loyal and friendly dogs to their owners they are very often not to others, especially other dogs. The threads on here are growing with attacks and with the kind of owners who are in charge of these dogs it will only increase. Your dogs, my dogs are not a threat to anyone and we make sure they are not but dogs who will attack another at the drop of a hat are a menace and owners who refuse to accept the responsibility of having a dog capable of inflicting such damage are an even bigger menace.

6. tiatortilla

I'm not sure if this was because of my comments, but I just thought I'd make it clear that I don't think the breed shouldn't be mentioned, I just think that they should wait until it's confirmed, and it's also not really the papers mentioning it that bothers me - just the negative comments about "these dogs" etc. coming from people, I just think it's unnecessary.

Anyway, backing out of this now because I don't actually want to turn this in to a full on debate about bull breeds, that really is irrelevant.

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would imagine that it will be the same knee jerk reaction as there has been with gun laws and knife laws - and that it will make absolutely no difference to the bad dog owners but will affect the law abiding good owners considerably - as have the knife and gun laws.

8. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

You might all feel different if your dog has been attacked by a Staffy, mine has. :mad:

9. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

My brother's Lab, whom I adore, was mauled by a Staffy - it has made NO difference to how I feel towards this breed. Why would it? I love Staffies and most of the ones I meet are a delight.

A man has died, in a ghastly way, and frankly I feel your comments were unnecessary - especially given that the breed of the dog in question has not yet been confirmed.

But of course, we are all entitled to our opinions.

10. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

I'm sure there are some lovely Staffy/Bull breed dogs around, but it doesn't stop me having a fear about them.

Sorry if you don't like what I've said, but I can't help the way I feel.

11. Skandi

Skandi PetForums Senior

It's interesting how people instantly assume the man was inncoent of anything, (now I am playing devils advocate here) was he grabbing the dog? hitting it? throwing stuff at it? The only time I have ever seen a dog "attack" someone it was a German Shepherd and a 5 year old, however the kid had been poking the dog with a stick for a good 10 minutes through the fence of it's garden. (the dog just shook him and then jumped back into it's garden) And my OH has a lovely scar on his eye socket from a Bull type cross, but he's the first one to admit he was pestering it.
    Of course no dog should be able to get out of it's garden. and certainly shouldn't be outside at all without supervision imo. (and I was flagged down yesterday by a neighbour waving at my window and then pointing to my dog running past.. front door wasn't properly shut and I hadn't noticed, but Jess had) And in a ideal world no dog should react to anything, but they do and we really should get the whole story before wading in, unfortunatly the only person who would know the entire story is now dead, for him and his family that is a tradgedy.

Moral of the story is probably that police/council should react faster to complaints of loose/out of control dogs, but whether they have the resources too.. that I do not know. Of course the owners should do something about it, but there will always be owners that don't so one cannot relly on that.

#31 Skandi, May 27, 2013
  12. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

An owner should make sure that there dog isn't put in a situation where they can react in such a way. I'm not a perfect owner by any means, but mine are never left in the garden without me being there.

13. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I'm sorry I think that's a tad wrong - The man in question is dead - Killed in his own home:(

This dog was on private property where it should not have been. :mad:

Doesn't matter what the man did (if he did) :( That dog should NOT of been there.

There is no excuse for what has happen.

#33 Milliepoochie, May 27, 2013
  14. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Another tragedy :mad:
    This poor man who had to suffer so terribly at the hands of irresponsible dog owners I can't imagine the terror and pain he would of gone through - my heart goes out to his friends and family.

Another sad day for all the responsible dog owners of this country :(

(I posted this on the other thread about this tragedy)

15. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

Regardless whether or not the poor man might have been "pestering" the dog there's no way that dog should have KILLED him in his own garden. That's absolutely menacing.

It's an insult to the poor man's memory to even suggest he could be at fault IMO.

#35 Goldstar, May 27, 2013
  16. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Irrelevant and highly dangerous thinking that this is an excuse. If the dog had been hit (and I doubt a 79 year old man could do anything that a dog would feel anyway) the worst I would expect is a bite and running away. Never a mauling. You are making excuses for poor temperament in these dogs that attack.

Quite honestly this sort of comment that it could be the victims fault makes more more angry than anything :(

MyMillie likes this.
  17. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Even if the man was tormenting the dog it should have been secure in it's garden. It's the fault of the owners not the man or the dog.

18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

That is a disgraceful thing to say. I wondered how long it would be before someone twisted things round to make it the mans fault. Even supposing he did throw something at the dog or hit it (which he would have been quite within his rights to do) it is no excuse for the dog to kill him.

MyMillie likes this.
  19. MyMillie

MyMillie MillieMoo'sMum

TOTALLY AGREE!!.... I felt sick to my stomach, and angry at what was said about him to the point of not responding to the comment as I would have gone "off on one" quite a bit....

I cant stand ridiculous comparisons either!...
    a 5yr old child and a German Sheppard??? :mad: he was a 79yr old man who got mauled to death on HIS own property!!..... I will finish there because I feel myself getting a bit upset and dismayed at the perceptions of some, and thank god they are in minority of just one in this thread.....

20. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

There are a few kids here who made my life a misery last summer and tend to come out whenever the weather is nice. They "bark" outside my garden, bang on the fence, kick their footballs against the fence, throw cans at it, throw objects over the fence, climb the tree that overhangs our garden to look in and shout (well did, before the overhanging branch was cut off) to get a reaction from Kilo. It means that I have to be in the garden with him at all times playing tug etc etc when they are about or he'll bark and run the fence and I have to call him inside.

I HATE the situation and thoroughly dislike these children as I cannot use my garden at times, but it is still my job to control my dogs and keep the children safe - by having the tree branch cut down (that was mainly to stop cats coming in!!), a solid 6.5ft fence and locked gate of the same height. I also don't walk Kilo when these kids are about as he becomes very nervous and reactive. They don't deserve to be hurt and my dogs don't deserve to be put at risk through my actions.