Kittens due any day! Advice greatly appreciated :-)...

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Marmitepepsi, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Marmitepepsi

Marmitepepsi PetForums Member

Thank you, I only wormed them all last week & none came out the other end. Which leads me to a little question of, I thought they say that all kittens are born with worms? How come I never see any even in Mums when I've wormed them (& they always use litter tray so I regularly check)...

I was working today so my partner went & checked on him & he was up & eating & bright (but still slightly runny bottom)...

I'll be home in a bit so I can check him out then too. I've got quite a range of kitten foods as I thought it would be good to get them used to a range for when they go to new homes, also I've got better food that I'm trying even mums on (as I've learned a lot about food on this forum too)...

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think it's a good idea to chop and change the kittens food really, choose a good quality one and if new owners want to change it advise them to change over gradually over a period of weeks to avoid tummy upset.

leashedForLife and catcoonz like this.
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Puppies apparently are born with worms which migrate from the mother. In cats any encysted roundworm (which wormers won't touch) awaken at the end of pregnancy and they migrate to the kittens in her milk. You don't necessarily notice worms in stools unless it's a very heavy load.

catcoonz likes this.
  4. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

as noted above, roundworms can cross the placenta & / or be ingested with breastmilk -
    that's why it's best to worm Mama before she's bred, which, of course, implies planned matings & pregnancies, not accidental / unplanned / random matings that the cats arrange themselves.
    All cats are long-day breeders, but how much notice U get of any estrus varies from 1 F to another, & even from heat to heat - hence why spaying a F kitten by 4 to 5-MO is a good precaution. // Getting pregnant when just a baby themselves is quite possible, & it's not safe for dam or litter, nor healthy for either. Kittens born of very-young dams are prone to be underweight, stunted even as adults, be stillborn, fail to thrive / fade away & die in the nest, etc.
    Getting a F cat to adulthood, healthy & happy, & definitely NOT bred on her own impulse, is not an entirely-easy task. Cats in heat are determined escape artists - our Siamese queen once leaped out a 2nd-story window THRU a closed window-screen, & not any flimsy fabric screen, either! - it was aluminum mesh. :eek:
    The airlock is a good precaution - 2 doors between any F cat & the outside world. ;)

chillminx likes this.
  5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

If the female has encysted roundworms worming before mating is useless as in that state no wormer affects them

catcoonz and leashedForLife like this.
  6. Marmitepepsi

So, Lula's in season already! She's not feeding all the kittens as much as Ezzy, so maybe that's why? She's still quite skinny (3.2kg)...even though she's eating a lot.

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe I should get her spayed soon then Ezzy after when the kittens are fully weaned.

I know a few of you said you'd wait till all kittens are rehomed but seeing as I have Ezzy holing the milk fort here then what would be the other negatives for getting Lula spayed now? Do you think I should also wait till she's a bit chubbier again (but she seems well in herself and has lots of energy & is happy)...

7. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I think it will be a good idea to spay Lula now if the kittens do not have to depend on her for milk. Presumably they are mainly weaned and just having milk as a top-up which Ezzy can provide. If she has a flank spay they can still nurse without a problem if necessary and if you don't do it now she will presumably keep calling which will not help her get back in optimum condition.

8. ZoeM

ZoeM Owned by Sir Snaf the Young and Mara Mara Mars Bar

The black and white fluffy tuxedo has my heart <3

Marmitepepsi likes this.
  9. Marmitepepsi

Had to share as she really made me chuckle!

Lula 'Please let me out Mummy, I've put my shoes on' :D

Attached Files:

Shrike, QOTN, catcoonz and 2 others like this.