Kitten is trying to nurse on my neck!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by moonpie509, Sep 22, 2011.

1. moonpie509

moonpie509 PetForums Newbie

I adopted a kitten two months ago and he is now five months old. He's recently started to knead around my throat and neck area and attempts to nurse on me. It only happens at night and started about a week ago. At first I thought it was really sweet, but now it's driving me nuts. I need a good night's sleep! Anyone ever heard of this?

Attached Files:

• 041.jpg
      041.jpg
      File size:
      64.5 KB
      Views:
  2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

A lot of cats do this, especially the kneading part. Mine knead a lot but have never tried to nurse.

Did you get him straight from his mum at 3 months? The nursing is usually associated with leaving mum a bit too young but some cats do it regardless. All 3 of my boys knead, I just try and sit them next to me if they knead on me and then they knead the bed instead. I dont mind it but it can get a bit painful depending on where they do it!

3. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

My Chaucer does this. In fact, last night he was especially obsessive and I lost a lot of sleep too, so I feel your pain :). We got him at 5 weeks from a shelter, so he was taken from his mother around 4 weeks. He's gotten better over time (he's about 4 months old now), but some days he's more frantic than others. Not sure what sets him off. It is awfully sweet, I agree. But the soppy chin and the kneading get a little much, especially if his nails aren't perfectly short.

People on here have suggested distracting him, or offering a hand instead, since that's easier to ignore. Sometimes it works, at least for a bit, but if he's really determined, he'll usually just leap back on my face. I've also tried pulling the covers up over most of my face, but he's really smart and he's learned how to pull the sheet down with his little paw!

I'm hoping he mostly outgrows it. At least you know it's not abnormal. But the retraining I've found is a long and bumpy road.

Your little guy is very cute, by the way. Such a wise expression.

#3 dagny0823, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  4. buffie

buffie PetForums VIP

My Ragdoll used to do this when he was a kitten,to the point where we were both soaked in dribble :arf:.He grew out of it though and hasnt done it for a few months now,which is lucky as he is now a 6+kg cat :D.I found it easier just to ignore it as he got very stressed if I tried to stop him,he did have behaviour problems too.

5. moonpie509

moonpie509 PetForums Newbie

Thanks, everyone. Good to know other kittens have had the same behaviour as my sweet boy. We'll get through it! :p