Keep UK rabies free!!

Discussion in 'Pet News' started by kirksandallchins, Oct 15, 2011.

1. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums Senior

In January next year the law changes so that it makes it easier to bring pets into the UK. The period is reduced from 6 months to 21 days after the initial rabies vaccination, but most vets say that the disease has an incubation period of 35 days.

If rabies was to come to the UK it would affect the everyday life of our dogs, with them having to leashed and muzzled in public. I have read there would be a cull of animals (including pets), but the DEFRA website only states vaccinating pets, muzzling and leashing them. I am not sure how cats would be controlled.

I have emailed DEFRA for a clarification on the culling policy, but so far have had no reply. This is a link to the Rabies Control Strategy
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb13585-rabies-control-strategy-110630.pdf

If you interested here is a petition to sign aganst the new regulations:
    RABIES ALERT-ALL UK PET DOGS & CATS ARE AT RISK FROM RABIES AS EUROPE INSIST WE LOSE OUR UNIQUE STATUS-NO RABIES FOR 100 YEARS. - e-petitions

2. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

We are just moving in line with the rest of Europe which hasn't had an issue with these regulations and also Ireland is changing so no chance of changing. Whilst there are a few dogs whose titre tests show less than the believed necessary levels it's not felt to be a big issue. A few people are considering vacinnating all their pets - but this is probably not going to be needed, but worth considering. For me it's a good thing.

3. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

You don't see dogs muzzled in France? :confused: They are allowed in many more places than in UK.

4. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

I've signed it - I'm not in favour of the new rules at all.

Rabies isn't the only disease dogs from abroad can bring in – I believe the new regulations could be detrimental to the health of animals already in the UK – our pets.

5. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Do you think our rats haven't been mating with French rats in the tunnel for years?

6. Daneandrottiemum

Daneandrottiemum PetForums Member

Errrr...hello, The Channel Tunnel??? Rats, cats, bats, foxes and the like, all of whom can carry rabies, have been able to come into Britain for years via the tunnel and there's been no rabies outbreak, so why not relax the rules?

I lived in France for many years and had dogs (strays mostly) none of whom had been vaccinated against rabies and none of whom contracted it.

7. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Was just about to post the same thing. When we were an island we could keep ourselves rabies free with strict quarantine laws - but now we have a land-link to the continent it doesn't make sense any longer. If there were to be a rabies outbreak in this country, the likelihood would be that it would stem from rats etc in the channel tunnel, rather than a dog or cat imported into the country and only kept in quarantine for 21 days.

8. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

We already have a low level of rabies in some bat populations. I we had an outbreak Defra already have contingency plans in place.

Taken from http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb13585-rabies-control-strategy-110630.pdf

3.1 Legislative Powers for Controlling Outbreaks

Powers for controlling a rabies outbreak are primarily set out in the Rabies (Control) Order 1974, which can be used for declaring infected places and areas. This allows for a number of measures to be applied within the declared place or area including movement and behaviour restrictions (such as requiring muzzles on dogs in public places) and compulsory vaccination of domestic animals. It also allows for an Infected Area to be divided into zones permitting different measures in different places. There are also powers available for the culling of foxes should that be necessary in an Infected Area.

Other powers available in support of the 1974 Order include The Animal Health Act 1981 which contains provision for introducing government funded vaccination programmes and for the destruction of animals other than foxes.

The Movement of Animals (Restriction) (England) Order 2002 and The Movement of Animals (Restriction) (Wales) Order 2003 allows a veterinary inspector who suspects disease to impose restrictions or requirements to prevent the spread of the disease including serving a notice prohibiting the movement of any animal at the premises in question. There is also the power to declare a temporary control area, with particular bio security measures or other measures as are considered necessary to prevent the spread of the disease.
    The Rabies (Compensation) Order 1976 fixes the amount payable in respect of animals destroyed under the Rabies (Control) Order 1974 .

9. Chihuahua-Rocky

Chihuahua-Rocky PetForums Senior

I think everyone is going a little bit over the top. The UK is just moving in line with regulations of the rest of Europe. And its not like there are everywhere rabies infested dogs or other animals..... and dogs there don't have to wear muzzled. I am originally from Germany and even thats a rabies free country. I think other countries such as the USA will still have the 6 months wait regulations for the entry into the UK.

So I wouldn't worry too much.

10. DogLover1981

DogLover1981 PetForums VIP

Are dogs and cats normally vaccinated for rabies in the UK and the rest of Europe? If not, the result wouldn't be good if rabies started to be found in those areas. In most states, rabies vaccination of dogs and cats is mandatory. It is extremely rare for dogs and humans to get rabies in America. Relying on the fact rabies has not been found someplace may not be wise with how interconnected the world is now. They could just make it a requirement that all dogs entering be up to date on their rabies vaccination.

#10 DogLover1981, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011