KC no longer giving free 4 week puppy insurance???

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by archiebaby, May 17, 2010.

1. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

i have just noticed that the puppy insurance tickets to give to new owners no longer include 4 ( or 6 ) weeks free insurance:confused: instead there are vouchers to give to new owners with special offers and money back on transfer of ownership if they take the kc insurance? how long has this been for? there is also no where to tick on the kc papers for the insurance either so it must have been discontinued:confused:

2. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

Oh my im not sure :eek: will have to remember this when I register another litter. Petplan do a breeders pack with insurance for each puppy in a single letter. :)

3. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

This is a relatively new idea form what I can gather.

The Free insurance is now only for Accredited Breeders - and is for four weeks, and activated by the breeder rather than the new owner.

Pet Plan do, I believe, offer four weeks insurance to breeders which they can activate.

====================

Have any of your new owners tried transferring their ownership online? as it used to be part of the registration process that the owner could activate their free insurance at the same time.

4. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

oh right:) was just looking through all the papers and there were only some vouchers to give to new owners now:confused: and used to be a box on the back to tick to activate the insurance?

5. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

ahh see im a accredited breeder so hence why i get them?

6. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

thank you for that:) the puppies dont leave until this weekend so i will tell the owners to do it online and see if that activates it? i have already looked into petplan as well:) seems a bit mean if it is only for acc breeders though?

7. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

tbh, and no disrespect to you rachybobs but i think the accredited breeder thing is just a complete waste of time and money spinner for the kc, they do no checks from what i can see but that is another thread completely;)

8. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

There are mixed views on the Accredited Breeder scheme - they are expanding their team of advisors who do checks - and in truth, it has to be seen as a move in the right direction.

They are also bringing in directions supposed from breed clubs on factors such as minimum ages for breeding, maximum number of litters, periods between litters etc.

Many AB's (including me) do far more testing than those recommended by the scheme, and I would like to see more brought in, but we do have to start somewhere, and I think, if handled correctly, the AB could be a move in the right direction.

9. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

i have been told that i may recieve a 'unexpected' visit but never have as of yet

10. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

i do understand what you are saying and agree to an extent but i know of many,many bad breeders that have jumped on the ab's bandwagon and passing themselves off as ' accredited breeder':rolleyes:

11. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I am not disagreeing with you - and I am very careful to point out to people who I speak to looking for pups, that because a breeder is Accredited doesn't necessarily mean they are good, just as, because a breeder isn't accredited doesn't mean they are bad.

The same rules should apply to any breeder, if the prospective owner is uncomfortable about something, they should walk away, sadly, very few have the courage to do so :(

12. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

oh i know you are not :) that is so right, there is not many who will walk away from a puppy even if they know something is not quite right:( thank you for clearing it up for me though:)

13. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hi there i got 6 weeks free, registered online on advice of my breeder :) about to run out but got another 4 weeks free throught identichiping my puppy :)

14. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Thats useful to know - as per my previous post, I did say I wondered whether they would still be offering it when you do the online transfer - personally, I think it's too good an opportunity for the KC insurance to stop doing it - although they do have a good level of cover, their prices are not the cheapest, and therefore this is a good way of getting people on board.

15. mollydolly01

mollydolly01 PetForums Junior

If you go on Kennel club website, the breeder can activate the 4 weeks insurance, you need puppys registration number and the new owners name and address. You can activate this 7 days before puppy goes to new home and you dont have to be a accredited breeder.

16. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Interesting, because that's not what the KC are telling non AB breeders :confused:

To the OP - I think it may be worth a call to the KC to clarify exactly what the situation is - and then you can explore PetPlan if the KC insurance is no good

Edited to add - while it doesn't affect me, if you do speak to them, it would be useful to update this thread :D

17. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

ooh no, i have promised the free weeks to my pups new owners, i didnt know theyd changed it, where else can i get them free weeks

18. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

As I said to the OP - it is worth ringing the KC to get the right message out there - there is clearly some confusion.

My last litter was 8 months ago, so I wasn't aware of it until recently when someone I know who is not an AB registered their pups and was told there was no longer free insurance for AB's - other posters are saying differently and also, it does appear there may be the opportunity still for new owners to take advantage of the free insurance when they change ownership of their pup online (unfortunately, some new puppy owners are VERY slow at doing this :( - which of course means their insurance wouldn't be activated.)

If you do come unstuck with the KC - then I understand that Pet Plan do a similar offer for breeders - I know one of my pups came home on a PP cover.

From a claims perspective if something does go wrong, I have had good feedback on both policies.

PS: Bearing in mind that many new insurance policies do not cover certain things in the first 14 days, I always advise my puppy owners to take out their new policy 14 days before the free cover expires.

If the worst comes to the worst and they do have to make a claim on the free cover, they can always cancel the new policy

19. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

Pet plan do 4 week free insurance that breeders activate, look at their webite, reg as a breeder and they will send you the breeder pack

20. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

thank you , i will look into that this morning:)
    yes i will update, bit confusing though aint it:)