Just Adopted Pregnant Cat....

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by cows573, Apr 20, 2017.

1. cows573

cows573 PetForums Junior

Hi, I have had cats from a very early age but haven't had a cat that has had kittens in nearly twenty years.

We have recently taken in a stray from our vets that is in kitten, the vet reckons she is about 1 to 2 weeks off delivery now and we have had her a week. We don't know what her normal behaviour is obviously, but it is clear that she was a family pet, probably an indoor cat in my opinion as she never looks to go outside. She is also used to children as she doesn't mind mine.

The first two or three days she was with us, she was eating kitten food like it was going out of fashion, more recently we are struggling to get her to eat much. All she has done since we got her is lie about, with the exception of the last couple of days where she appears to be desperately trying to find a nest.... Although she appears disgusted with any I have tried to encourage her to use.

You can see the milk building up around her teats and some scabs appearing around that area.

I think she may be closer to birth than what the vets thought.

Any opinions please? I think she is probably around a year old and it is likely her first litter...

catcoonz and leashedForLife like this.
  2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Well done for helping her.
    Not sure how much you know, but kittens can be felt/seen moving from 7 weeks.
    Perfectly normal for her to not eat as much in the last few days.
    Provide a quiet room with a nesting box, i line with puppy pads as i find it easier.
    When the time comes, you may find she will use her box, mine never go in their box until labour has started.
    You will get alot of help here from lovely members.

spotty cats and chillminx like this.
  3. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

well-done for taking on a preg waif, & i agree it sounds as if she's closer than expected. A bit worrying.

@catcoonz ?
    keep offering her quiet places - a closet? An oversized dog-crate, scrubbed & dried? -
    A big corrugated-cardboard box, open on one side to make a tunnel? [lay some easily-washed bedding in the back of the 'tunnel' & keep it in a room where the children don't go - U don't want them playing in her future nest. :oops: ]
    U can carefully ---slit---- the upper corners of the box "roof" & tape across them so the roof won't bend downward; once she's in labor, peel the tape away & fold a piece of the roof back so U can observe delivery & count sacs. Use a RED bulb flashlight if needed to see what's up, without upsetting Mom-cat.
    After they're all born, re-tape the roof & leave it for a day or 2, then un-tape & fold the roof back & the upper corners of the "walls" down a little. Gradually open more of the roof & most of the sidewalls, leaving her a roofed & walled area of 2 x 2 feet square or so.

catcoonz likes this.
  4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I think in a few days time you will have kittens.
    If you need any help, you have the forum and i can also talk you through labour anytime during the night.
    If you need my number, just ask.

leashedForLife likes this.
  5. cows573

cows573 PetForums Junior

Thank you for your kind replies....

I am really excited but very nervous too! We live in a rural area on a farm - an ideal place for our cats! I had 3, adopted my Mum & Dad's 4 farm cats when we relocated to the farmhouse. Unfortunately, our cats are an aging population - one at 17 years old (healthy and active), one old 12 year old and the farm cats are 13 and 14 years old. We lost one earlier on this year after we had to get her put down. In our area, the only cats available for re-homing require homes without children and no kittens are available either. We have lots of people potential interested in our new cat's kittens but I intend to be very particular on the re-homing...

cava14 una, chillminx and catcoonz like this.
  6. leashedForLife

as U are in a rural area, how far away is the vet?
    Is there any out-of-hours coverage, just in case? - Birth is often late in the evening or overnight; not always, to be sure, but often.
    Has the cat been wormed? // If she was not due to her interesting condition, ask the vet about giving her some raw garlic to evict some of the Gi parasites. Starting with a small amount, U can give her fine-minced raw garlic [this can be bought jarred in a grocery, water-packed, if U don't want to cut it.]
    Be sure to get the vet's OK 1st, altho garlic is GRAS [generally Regarded As Safe].
    Garlic won't kill the worms or other parasites - it merely makes the cat's body a less-welcoming environment, & they leave. Cutting down the # in the popn is better than doing nothing, as she's less infectious with fewer critters on board. ;)

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I would be very careful about using Garlic..........AFAIK it is considered toxic to cats (could be wrong though)

chillminx likes this.
  8. cows573

cows573 PetForums Junior

The vet recommended not giving her anything at this stage but she does seem to have been well looked after (prior to be chucked unto the street!). We are rural, but only 7 miles from the nearest town and as farmers, we have a good relationship including out of hours for our vets. In fact, one of our vets lives less than a half mile away from us and used to have her horse on our farm! Three qualified vets children go to the same school as my kids and two others are also nearby.... thank goodness! lol...

claire8234 and leashedForLife like this.
  9. cows573

cows573 PetForums Junior

I think the vet's will be quite supportive, they contacted the cats protection league, they had no room and recommended putting a collar her on her and turning her out!!! The RSPCA wasn't interested as she was healthy.... Both agencies have dramatically dropped in my estimation....

10. leashedForLife

QUOTE, buffie:

I would be very careful about using Garlic... AFAIK it is considered toxic to cats (could be wrong though)

/QUOTE
    I don't want to do anything to upset the locum, nor endanger the cat or her kits - nor worry the adopter! :oops:
    I've used minced garlic in seriously ill, starved, elderly, very young, & heavily-parasitized animals myself, for many years - over 40, now. I use it in debilitated animals in preference to Rx wormers, as those are toxic to the parasites, kill them, & are also often toxic to the patient - plus, the mass of dead parasites can cause problems, itself. :(
    A dense wad of dead worms can block the colon, & those dead critters also release toxins from their bodies; evicting them alive means U gotta be diligent in cleaning the litter-box & should double-bag all the cat waste before discarding it - don't toss it outdoors nor compost it, bag it, bag the bag, & trash it.

A cat given raw garlic will expel live worms & viable eggs - but s/he won't be exposed to toxins from dead / dying parasites, nor be overwhelmed by a huge body-burden of dead invaders.

Does Garlic or Parsley Get Rid of Cat Worms? - Cats - Knoji
    https://cats.knoji.com/does-garlic-or-parsley-get-rid-of-cat-worms/
    Nov 5, 2011 -
    Parasitic worms could be devastating to your cats because they can harm ... Try these natural remedies like garlic and parsley for cat worms if ...

10 Simple Home Remedies for Worms in Cats that Get Rid of Worms ...

ehomeremedies.com › Cats
    Jump to Consumption of Garlic Powder and Apple Cider Vinegar - When your cat consumes garlic, they will be able to eradicate any parasites that are ...

Safe Ways to Naturally Worm Dogs and Cats - Pet Remedy Charts

www.petremedycharts.com/Learning%20Center/.../Herbal_Wormers_for_Pets.html
    Home remedies and natural worm treatments for dogs and cats. ... Home Remedies for IntestinalParasites (worms) in Pets ... GARLIC (Allium sativum). This has ...

Garlic for Cats - Earth Clinic

https://www.earthclinic.com/pets/garlic-for-cats.html
    Jan 9, 2017 -
    Many pet owners would like to use garlic as a home remedy to improve their cats' immune function, expel worms, treat parasites, repel fleas, ...
    Parasite and Worm Remedies
    Mar 13, 2017
    Heartworm Treatment and Home Remedies for Pets
    Sep 21, 2016
    Parasite Remedies
    Feb 3, 2016
    More results from www.earthclinic.com
    also, please Google "Juliette de Bairacli Levy", an herbalist who reared her pets & livestock holistically - her books are widely available, including the pet handbook.

Juliette de Bairacli Levy - Shirley's Wellness Cafe
    www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/AnimalWellness/Juliette
    "Juliette de Bairacli Levy has experienced eight decades of living a life dedicated .... the use of garlic internally and externally for ALL TYPES OF PARASITES. ... The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat by Juliette De Bairacli Levy ...

Natural Remedy Book for Dogs and Cats - Google Books Result

https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0307827895
    Diane Stein - 2012 - ‎Pets
    Garlic essence repels fleas and internal parasites. Gemstones: ... 11 Juliette de Bairacli Levy,The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat, p. 150. in ...

Vegetarian Times - Oct 1993 - Page 116 - Google Books Result

https://books.google.com/books?id=wwgAAAAAMBAJ
    No. 194 - ‎Magazine
    A DAILY DOSE CATS AND DOGS can take herbs on a daily basis, much like a ... allergies, and lymphatic and immune disorders; garlic helps eliminate worms, ... Healthier Domestic Cats by Juliette de Bairacli Levy (Faber and Faber, 1 991 ).

NaturalRearing.com ~ Herbal Compound

www.naturalrearing.com/coda/l_herbal_compound.html
    ... read "The Complete Herbal Handbook For The Dog and Cat" by Juliette de Bairacli Levy. ...
    GARLIC: One of the most powerful and well studied herbs. ... nervousness; inflamed or infected uterus; and removal of worms - including hookworm.
    Garlic in Pet Foods | Wysong
    www.wysong.net/GarlicinPetFoods
    Some Wysong pet foods contain garlic because of its antioxidant and anti-cancer ... Ingredients have been selected based upon the weight of scientific and ...

https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/thk-blog/garlic-safe-or-not/
    QUOTE,
    Garlic is a member of the Allium family, along with onions. The toxic chemical contained in garlic & onions is thiosulphate. Dogs should NEVER be fed onions. But, this chemical only exists in minute amounts in garlic. Ingestion of large doses of this chemical can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs, destroying red blood cells. A large dose would be ingested if, for instance, you are in the middle of making dinner and you walk away from the kitchen counter to answer the phone, leaving a whole bulb of garlic within easy reach of your dog, who proceeds to devour the entire thing.

However, in small amounts, garlic offers many health benefits for both humans and dogs. Some of them include:

• helps to eliminate worms, strengthen digestion, & stimulates the intestinal tract (in a good way); generally supports intestinal health. In this way, it can be a good choice for dogs making the transition to a fresh, raw diet.
    • good for animals eating a high-meat or fish diet, overweight dogs, & those that suffer from hip pain, arthritis or dysplasia.
    • a potent anti-fungal agent, & can be used topically for fungal skin infections.
    • helps to clear up cases of hay fever, seasonal allergies, kennel cough or other respiratory ailments.
      * useful due to its action as a strong expectorant, helping to clear the lungs and kill bacteria.
    • naturally anti-bacterial and can be used to help treat any condition caused by bacteria, internally or externally.
    • In studies, shown to reduce blood-sugar levels in diabetic dogs and humans.
    • its ability to lower blood cholesterol and improve circulation.
    • supports the production of white blood cells, strengthening your dog’s resistance to infections of all kinds.
    The Whole Dog Journal recommends garlic as a good addition to any raw diet. Their advice is that you can safely feed 1 clove of garlic for every 20 lbs of body weight.
    Another source describes an average daily intake of garlic as 1 clove per day for a medium-large dog. Yet another source claims that you would need to feed your dog as much as two whole bulbs a day for an extended period to make your dog sick.
    At www.Sojos.com, they claim that it would take as much as 50 cloves of garlic in one sitting to cause toxic effects in your dog. Keep in mind that people have been feeding their dogs garlic safely for thousands of years and that many healthy pet foods and treats contain garlic in small, safe amounts. It is simply a matter of very high doses and a large quantity relative to the size of your dog.

Dr. Pitcairn recommends the following amounts be given to your dog if feeding a raw diet and if indicated. Cats can have 1/4 clove per day [per Dr Pitcairn].

10 -15 lbs = 1/2 clove of garlic

20 - 40lbs = 1 clove

45 - 70lbs = 2 cloves

75 - 90lbs = 2 1/2 cloves

100lbs+ = 3 cloves

Force, Keen, & Zeal diets contain small, health-boosting amounts of garlic.

*** Resources:
    www.preciouspets.org,
    Dr. Pitcairn’s Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats,
    The Lang Institute for Canine Massage: Course Manual,
    The Whole Dog Journal,
    Alternative Medicine for Pets,
    www.Sojos.com.

- See more at: https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/thk-blog/garlic-safe-or-not/

11. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

12. cows573

cows573 PetForums Junior

I don't intend to give our new cat anything as the vet has checked her out, and though she may have worms, she is not full of worms or they would have been able to tell. She has obviously been well cared for in the recent past, thank goodness...

claire8234 and leashedForLife like this.
  13. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I'd confine her to a room with her kittening box and other needs.
    Bedroom works well unless you can easily sleep in the chosen room to ensure you don't miss the birth.
    You need to be there to make sure all kittens are born properly & breathing, that all cords are done and placentas delivered.

No harm in worming her, surprised the vet didn't give her something while you were there.

14. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I understand that raw garlic (like you put in cooking) is a no, but you can buy garlic capsules (Amazon etc) which are specifically for cats/dogs. Not sure what their nutrient value is.

15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/garlic/
    It would appear opinions are divided on the subject :).

16. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

My personal view on garlic is it's not a natural food for cats by any stretch of the imagination so I don't feed it in any form.

claire8234 and QOTN like this.
  17. cows573

cows573 PetForums Junior

I think my original post has gone off course... No sign of anything yet with Fanta (she is a ginger female).....

She still isn't eating very much, lying about most of the time, except when she is looking for a nest....

I will keep you all updated.