ITV documentary about Dangerous Dogs.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by terencesmum, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Galadriel17

Galadriel17 PetForums VIP

I did say I should've been more specific. Although you don't know whether it's not strictly true.

As you've pointed out, we don't know how the 10-19 age group breaks down. As there are many more boys in the 10-19 group that have been treated for a dog related injury, I wouldn't mind putting a bet on that a significant number of those are down to roughhousing.

The figures from HES online don't include those treated in A&E, it gives an overview of those that have been admitted.

2. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Oh, I haven't had nearly enough of this person - I think he/she is very entertaining ;). Pretentious know-it-alls pontificating to others are always good for a laugh! :lol: :lol:

The unfortunate side of this poster's inability to master the English language well enough in order to execute a reply that is informative without being acerbic is that newbies are sometimes shot down in flames unnecessarily - but I'll leave that for the mods to deal with. ;)

#42 Spellweaver, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Look! Look at all the f***s I don't give!

Has anyone got a link to where I can watch it online please? Can't seem to find it

4. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

Surely, if you don't go to A&E after a dog attack the injuries can't have been very serious? :confused:

5. Fayld

Fayld PetForums Junior

This was my first thought. I'd be interested to see the break down of breeds for these 600 attacks a day.

6. Galadriel17

It's on the Tonight program - Video - ITV Player

The HES online figures don't include people that have gone to A&E and not been admitted which is what they quoted on the program. I guess those injuries aren't serious enough for the people to actually be admitted, they can just be checked/treated then sent home...

7. Galadriel17

I'd like to know where they got the figure of 600 per day...

8. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

what breed do you think it was then?

9. thronesfan

thronesfan PetForums Member

Did the programme makers think that showing staffies in kennels barking and jumping around proved that they were dangerous? I've spent enough time behind the scenes of a dog rescue centre to know that all kinds of dogs will react like that to someone walking past their kennel - they get excited because they think they're going for a walk or its feeding time, or they get riled up by the other dogs. A small number will bark aggressively because they want to protect their territory, but take them out of the kennel and they can be docile as anything.

Not only were they dragging out the same old stereotypes about dogs, but about people too. I suppose my pierced and tattoed friends shouldn't allow their dogs (a border collie and lab/poodle cross, not exactly illegal) near their toddler because they must be out of control and dangerous. In fact, they probably shouldn't have had a child either because they are obviously thugs. :rolleyes:

I'm just reading James Gray's Twitter page as he apologises to various people about causing offence with his comments on the programme, it's quite amusing.

10. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

They got the Fila and Dogo the wrong way round when illustrating the four banned breeds :rolleyes:

11. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

I recorded the programme but I don't think I'll be watching it either. It sounds far too upsetting and will make me very angry.

12. Fayld

Fayld PetForums Junior

I wonder if ITV or the BBC would be interested in flipping the coin and seeing how staffies, rotties etc ... can make wonderful family pets. I doubt I will get a response if I write to the producers but it may be worth a try? Happy to collate a list of names and gather images to support my letter. Naive I may be, but surely something can be done to end, or at least calm all the negative press.:rolleyes:

13. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Look! Look at all the f***s I don't give!

I doubt the press would want to calm it down TBH, it sells papers more than a lovely Rottie curled up with a baby would. They thrive on drama.

14. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I still haven't watched it but have it recorded so I will later today. I have no doubt it will focus on certain breeds and also have no doubt the owners of those dogs will be at fault in some neglectful way but if it is statistically correct in the breeds who are doing the most damage I think we all need to be aware.

We all know there are plenty of dogs attacking who have been brought up the wrong way but also there are some, even on here, who have good families and still go on to attack out of the blue. I don't doubt some Staffies will do so just the same as I wouldn't doubt some Mals would either, I don't think it's always pedjudice I think it can be a breed trait - it is with Mals so why not other dogs? The difference is there aren't as many of other breeds as there are Staffies but given time lets wait and see. The prey drive of the Husky will certainly give it a bad name eventually if it truly is becoming 'The new Staff' as reported in Dogs Today magazine (July) and no doubt prejudice will grow amongst that breed too if it kills or attacks small dogs on a fairly frequent basis. With a prey drive like they have they should never be trusted around unknown small dogs in a environment where they would normally hunt and their speed will be hard to out run too.

I think it's totally disgusting that around seven guide dogs per month are being attacked (Dogs Monthly, July) and if that is any reason why ALL dogs should be on lead on the street and public places then I would definitely go along with that.

We can't keep excusing bad behaviour, blaming stereotyping and bad ownership all the time while completely innocent dogs are losing their lives and leaving owners shattered or picking up the pieces in vet bills and emotional trauma - both to themselves and their dogs. When a guide dog is attacked it takes away that dog from the person who is totally dependant on it, either through hospitalisation, rehabilitation and training, puts a massive strain on the person who is already at a disadvantage and why? because so many people have off lead dogs where they should be on lead.

It's not fair to everyone else to have to handle this kind of reckless owner and his/her dogs and I hope new laws regarding off lead dogs are brought in under the new impending law. If only for the sake of the wonderful guide dogs who in my mind are more deserved of a good life than some of these doing the attacking - whatever breed they may be!