Indoor cat food - is it any better/worse?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by EmmaMia, Aug 8, 2013.

1. EmmaMia

EmmaMia PetForums Member

Hi

Apologies if there's already a thread but I can't spot one!

Just out of curiosity really - what's the difference between indoor and normal cat food?

My rescue cat has absolutely no interest in the outside world (apart from spying on my neighbours through the window) but I feed her on normal cat wet/dry food and she's not fat/skinny and her fur is super shiny!

Reason provoking my question is I ran out of usual dry food and ended up rushing out and buying go cat indoor (wasn't much choice in the shop unfortunately, it was that or supermarket own brand, didn't particularly want to purchase either) however Mia decided she absolutely loves it and preferred it over wet food!

Just wondering if its worth switching her dry to an indoor brand, or if its just full of rubbish and is more of a marketing scam?

(If anyone's wondering, her wet is canned Butchers - since putting her on that, fur is very soft and shiny so I can only assume that's good! Please correct me if I'm wrong though :))

2. lovemykittys

lovemykittys PetForums Junior

Hiya I am completely new to all this but I believe that the best dry food will be applaws or orjen? something simular to that one. Grain free seems to be the best from what I can gather from all the helpful posts on here, and as there doesnt seem to be much grain free dry food I would imagine there is not any indoor cat that fits into that catagory. Im sure someone will be along soon who knows much more than me :D

3. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

4. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

Butchers is grain free - better than many main brands! :)
    keep her on mostly wet if possible, other easy to try out - hi life & feline fayre
    - zooplus has better, but its bulk order (£20 for free shipping) ..unless you 'need' :rolleyes: a cat climber etc :)

5. Satori

Satori PetForums VIP

Indoor food is garbage.

The best "indoor" food is raw. The cats poo about every two days and when they do it is easy to handle and nearly odor free.

Butcher's is not at all bad especially given the extremely low price.

I agree with the posts above. All dry food is bad. Applaws and Orijen are less bad than most.

6. EmmaMia

EmmaMia PetForums Member

Yeah I don't like giving her dry really, she gets more wet than dry :)

Thanks satori, I did think it was a load of kak!

Ooh, maybe I do *need* a cat tree, Mia is having a little friend soon and I was looking on eBay at cat trees but I'll try zoo plus.

Thanks coco, I'll give that link a read later :)

I bet post this and go, Mia is shouting "breakfast breakfast mum breakfast"!!!!

7. EmmaMia

EmmaMia PetForums Member

Spid seems to really slate the Felix food...

My friend took in 2 abandoned 5 month old SKINNY kittens (1 of which has had kittens, still has milk, god knows what happened to them and 1 pregnant who gave birth on the 24th July to 5 babies - all alive).
    Should I be concerned she is feeding the 2 on felix kitten food? (they were very skinny but thankfully have since gained weight being on kitten food, mum cat is very content when feeding the kittens)
    When the 5 babies are old enough she intends on weening them on to felix kitten too (so I bought some ready at home as I will be homing one of them and wanted to use the same food for a while but I intended on feeding him butchers when he got bigger). Although Spid says that there never used to be kitten food, so is there any point in her paying the higher price just because it has the word kitten on the box?!
    (If there's no point I want to tell her, the money spent on the wording "kitten" could be used to buy better food if Spid's right)

I only want the best for the furry new additions :)

Attached Files:

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Hmmm first ever complaint about my missive - I don't slate it, I just say there is better and cheaper food out there. Why feed stuff to your cat for them to a) poop it back out and b) to make a lot of cats poorly. The fact that they poop it straight back out just goes against common sense - it's like just handing the manufacturers a fistful of money and saying "keep it, I don't want it, so I'll pay you to make my cats poop".

ANd I do say the worst wet is better than the best dry.

If feeding Felix or Whiskas then yes buy the kitten food, if feeding raw, Hermann's, bozita, etc then no don't bother with kitten food.

9. EmmaMia

EmmaMia PetForums Member

It wasn't a complaint. I just wanted to double check we were feeding the right thing and gave them the right start in life that they deserve. You mentioned felix wasn't too good which is what we were feeding them and intended on using for weaning the kittens, as you can imagine alarm bells rang!

I messaged her after reading your post and she's looking into other brands as we speak - just got another message, she is going to use Nature Menu instead :) She can get it at £4.74 12 pack kitten pouches, do you know if we can get cheaper elsewhere or is that about right?

PS Mia (my cat) doesn't get much dry food, I view it as like crisps for cats.

10. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Mine go every day, so not all cats are the same

11. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't bother with pouches at all - they are a very expensive way of feeding (you pay a premium for the convenience of expensive sachets), and with so many kittens she'll be feeding multiple pouches per mealtime anyway. She'd be far better off (financially and nutritionally) getting tins of a good grain free food and splitting them among the kits.

Zooplus is excellent for this, you've already seen Bozita mentioned, Animonda Carny is another oft recommended food at the cheaper end of the grain free spectrum (they do a kitten version too if she felt happer with that). I'm sure others will have brand suggestions! You get free delivery for orders over £30, and if you buy in bulk it's easy to to reach that threshold without even trying! Both brands offer bulk buy packs which are better value than smaller amounts (I do this for just one cat as tins keep), and that could be handy as once they start to eat solids, kittens get through a LOT of food - could be a pack of pouches a day for so many, I suspect.

Oh, and 'Indoor food' is just another marketing gimmick, yes.

~Jes

12. LaraFarah

LaraFarah PetForums Newbie

Hello,

These are my cats who have been dumped on the local road.

I have tried Nature menu but the mommy cat, Ella won't touch it - I even mixed it with the Felix and she managed to eat around the Nature Menu. Luckily Evie, the aunt loves it!

I also have four other cats, they are fed on a mixture of nature menu, applaws (both dry and wet), call of wild (dry) as well as whiskas, felix, kitkat.

It is rather confusing as I only am feeding the mum and aunt felix kitten as that is what the vet told me is the best as they needed to be on kitten food due to how underweight they were.

Is there really not much difference between kitten and adult food? As this will save me lot of money if so - I can get some hi life until my mum is home to order from zooplus.

Thank you to all those who replied.

Sorry Emma to be taking your thread straight off the topic!

13. EmmaMia

EmmaMia PetForums Member

Hah, I just wanted to know if "indoor" food was a lie and it is, like I thought!

It was good to find out that Butchers is actually a good(ish) food that I can get hold of locally though and learn about "grain" :)

I personally don't buy pouches as I think they're a scam also but I did in anticipation for kitten and now regretting it!

I am not surprised Evie eats it, I'm sure she'd eat anything!

14. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Selling points for indoor cat foods seem to be:
    1) less hairballs, usually through indigestible fibre being used to drag the hair through the gut so that it can be excreted. Grooming and malt paste also reduce hairballs. Indigestible fibre sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
    2) Obesity control because it is lower calorie, and an indoor cat may get less exercise. This doesn't need special food to control.
    3) less smelly pooh. This also comes from less grain in the diet. Raw food also helps. One brand talks about fermentable fibre to do this, which I don't understand as cats guts are too short to ferment food. Also, imo, any very fresh poo has an odour and cleaning the tray removes it. Hard dry poo is not smelly but neither is it comfortable to pass.
    4) Claims about balanced nutrients for indoor living - this I do think is hogwash.

So, not necessary in my view.

15. EmmaMia

EmmaMia PetForums Member

That's interesting as I've always fed her on normal food apart from the once and I have never once seen a hair ball!

She's got about 6 million toys to ensure she plays (exercises) whilst I'm not there - I do an experiment, put them all in the toy tray before I go to work then see how many have moved and how far! (Today a mouse by the living room window, several on the floor by the box and surprisingly, none in the sink for a change!) :D

16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Perhaps worth keeping in mind that "grains" doesn't equate automatically with "bad" food. What matters is whether it is declared what grain is being used and how much. So, for example, I personally rate Macs with grains as a better food by far than the grain-free Butchers for not much more money. Similarly, the grainy Grau used to be "better" than their grain-free version - in the sense that it had a greater overall meat content and about the same carb content as the grain-free version.

17. EmmaMia

EmmaMia PetForums Member

I think I need to have a good ol' think about what to move to as I want Mia and kitten on the same food eventually.
    There's so many different brands to choose from! I did email nature diet earlier today and they are sending me adult and kitten samples to try :)
    Perhaps I shall email Macs and Grau too.

Thanks for your help :biggrin:

18. Puffles and Topsy

Puffles and Topsy PetForums Newbie

Iv seen Butchers cat food but never bought it, is it as good as felix? Is there more meat in it?

Would never feed my cats dried food heard to many bad things, biscuits as treats now and again should be ok.

As for a cat tree I got one cheap on ebay brand new, cats love it I can send you pics if you like.

19. Puffles and Topsy

Puffles and Topsy PetForums Newbie

Oh another thing, I asked the vet about dry food vs wet food? And he said just feed your cats on whatever they like, guess they wouldn't say no dry when all their shelves are stacked full of it. :frown2:

20. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Unfortunately most vets only get a very limited amount of nutritional 'training', and that is usually sponsored by a pet food company and consists of a sales rep (not a nutritionist) telling them which (usually dry) food to suggest for what kind of situation or medical issue. The vet will also get a tidy cut on any food sold.

This probably explains why so many vets who wouldn't consider suggesting a rabbit should be fed fresh meat so readily say obviously daft things like 'grain free wet food is bad for cats because it has too much protein in it', when cats are obligate carnivores designed to eat nothing but prey animals... :rolleyes:

~Jes