Ideas to tempt a cat to eat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by carly87, Dec 19, 2013.

1. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

This girl normally only eats raw, with dry biscuits as a treat. I need ideas to tempt her to eat after she's been off her food.

So far I've tried: AD, favourite raw, different flavour raw, Fortiflora, Temptations, dry, canned, sardines in tomato sauce.

I will next try: mackerel in tomato sauce, and both fish in spring water.

She won't drink goats' milk and won't eat cottage cheese.

I'll go to the butcher today and get some fresh meat from him which I'll mix with Felini as she normally loves that. Food has been served hot, warm, room temp, cold, pureed, hand fed, force fed, on a plate, in a bowl, high up, low down, in different rooms, in different places, at different times.

Any other ideas?

2. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

ooeee my boy loves chicken hearts although they might be a bit rich if she's feeling off , i don't believe my boy has ever had an off day in three years.

is she coming on heat maybe ?

have you tried those lick e lick things? i ve got him some for xmas but im sure he will no doubt love them.

pretend like you don't want her to eat it , like you are eating it and she can't have any;)

is she interested in playing at the moment ?

i just thought about tying a chunk of meat to a wand string toy and get her prey drive going , crazy but might just work???
    could get messy and i hope the neighbours don't see you :0

#2 moggiemum, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  3. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

My previous cat that had CRF could usually be tempted with meat or fish paste, human kind from the supermarket that comes in a little jar. Or baby food warmed up a little.
    Just make sure neither have garlic or onion in them,
    Worth a try? :)

4. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

Thrive chicken flavour sprinkled over the top never fails with ours. At least not yet. :rolleyes:

5. Satori

Satori PetForums VIP

Extreme treats for mine are Pata Negra, Parmesan cheese, Bacon (grilled) and Ham Hock. The last two are quite salty unfortunately but the Bacon never fails: no need to chop it, just let 'em run off with a whole rasher.

6. nightkitten

nightkitten PetForums VIP

Wilbur is not eating properly either at the moment.

But he loves home made chicken broth. So I have been giving him that and he laps that up in no time. I've now started to put shredded chicken in with it and he is eating that.

Have you tried human baby food? I'm not joking. Obviously not forever but for the time being just to get her to eat something.

7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

American sites often advise trying baby food....but I have never been able to find any in UK that did not contain onions and other vegetables.

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The most effective tacit I know of is tiny tiny portions. Don't overwhelm with food.

Warm the dish by running hot water over it. Put a tiny amount of food in the dish (smelly wet is best) No more than a teaspoon of food. Stir it around to absorb the heat from the dish.

Using your finger, first offer her a taste/sniff. If she won't taste it, gently smear a small amount of food on kitty's mouth to incite interest. After she licks her lips, offer a little more on your finger. Let her sniff it and lick at it. If she does, either continue to hand feed, or place the dish in front of her.

Remember, SMALL, tiny, portions.

Never leave any food left out lying around in the hopes she will eat it. If a cat is not feeling well, the last thing that's going to help is the constant smell of food in her nostrils.

It would help if you told us why the kitty is not eating.

PS turkey or chicken baby food is good, as mentioned, if you can find any without anything added. No onions, garlic, spices, salt. Just pure meat baby food.

9. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Thrive Tuna in our house, April seems to have got wise now as when I put her food down she looks at me to say where is my tuna sprinkles :rolleyes:

10. nightkitten

nightkitten PetForums VIP

The Hipp organic Squash and Chicken has no onion or onion powder. It does have vegetables and rice but nothing harmful to cats. I'd rather mix some boiled chicken in with this type of baby food so the cat eats than having to force feed her.

#10 nightkitten, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  11. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Whiskas Anti-Hairball biscuits!!!

The Princess is quite good with her wet food but the raw will only be eaten if I crush a couple of these over the top and then the whole bowl gets scoffed up. If I put the raw down without it, I get the regal evil stare until I do the 'sprinkle'.

Is this for G?

12. Coonycats

Coonycats PetForums Newbie

When my kitten had FIP and lost interest in food, I got some royal canin gastrointestinal wet pouches from the vet and they kick started his appetite, they were about £1 per pouch but once they had had a few he went back to his normal food.....

13. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Yep, MB.

She won't eat RC, hates tinned stuff, only eats raw or some dry (treat only). She's had some Temptations today, and about 5 dry biscuits which is a massive improvement for her.

Lorilu, thanks for all the tips on feeding, but as I've mentioned, I've served it warm already, and have hand fed, syringed etc, and it hasn't worked. Let's just hope that her teeny apetite continues to grow.

She's not playing at the mo, so I need to give her easy to eat things, and she doesn't like liek-ee-licks or most treats really, so again, that's not an option. She's an awkward sod!

Have been advised to get some Nutri-Gel which I'll also try.

14. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

liked your post carly for the fact she has managed to eat a little today , fingers crossed for tomorrow as well x

15. Cats cats cats

Cats cats cats PetForums VIP

Gimpet cheese paste :) even fuzz likes this and he's the fussiest cat I've ever known :D or tubiCat liver pate ( fuzz doesn't like this though )

I know it's not proper food, it's a treat but maybe it'd encourage her appetite ?

Who is G ? Gabby ?

16. thatsafunnylookingcat

thatsafunnylookingcat PetForums Senior

I have no really helpful advice but with Trev danging his mouse and darting it all over the place in front of him encouraged him, it made him annoyed that it might be taken away so he snatched it up, not sure if that will work on a cat as relaxed as yours though, they will probably just think you are bonkers. Hopefully she will get well soon.

17. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

What I do with Maisie when she refuses to eat is open a tin of Gourmet mousse, it is sloppy enough to put on your finger.

I put a small portion on a saucer and scoop it up with my fingers, sit next to her on the chair and after dabbing on her mouth I just sit there with gloop dripping off my fingers until she has finished licking it up. Sometimes she will take it from the saucer but if not I just scoop more until she has had enough and walks away.

With Bob, a few dry treats, ones he likes will often get him started. Freshly cooked warm white fish is the best.

Or Tubi cat liver paste mixed with water, sometimes the salmon one.

18. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Junior

I can always tempt fussy cat with Applaws chicken and pumpkin.
    when he decided that he didn't want to eat especially after he had his puking fests.

I agree with the finger trick as I used to offer it to him on my finger and let him lick it off as he wouldn't take it off a teaspoon and would just walk away from his food bowl. After a few finger licks he could be tempted to eat a little about a teaspoon from his food bowl, then I used to slowly increase the amount he was eating and switch back to a mix of his usual food when he started asking for food. As I found switching too early resulted in a refusal to eat again. I also used to mix in extra water luke warm water if I thought they were dehydrated.

I also used to mix the applaws chicken and pumkin with extra water and make it into ice cubes to give them in the summer when they are too hot to eat.

I hope your poor kitty starts eating something more substantial soon.

lorilu likes this.
  19. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

'd tried all of that, and unfortunately, none of it was working. However, I'm happy to report that the cat is now eating on her own. I'm so, so happy about that. Thank you for all your ideas though. They'll be filed away for the future when I might need them again.

20. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

Thats great news, time for a little eating dance :)