I think my goldfish has terrible fin rot......

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Ariel, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

poor guy! seemed not to notice though which is good poor little guy! i have a 260L tank as well as 2 small ones... good times!

2. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

For specimens upto six inches in length, a 120 x 38 x 38cm would be the ideal tank. However, for anything bigger upto 30cm/12", I would be looking at a 150 x 60 x 60cm tank or a pond.

3. Ariel

Ariel PetForums Newbie

well a bit of good news. I got specific fin rot and fungal treatment and aquarium salt along with better water conditioner that helps sick fish recover.
    He seems to be more lively.
    His fins are not as clamped any more.
    The veins and redness is definitely going down.
    He is swimming a bit better with a bit more oomf!
    He is using hi gills a bit more too.
    Still on the bottom of the tank so it is early days but things are looking better.
    Thank you so much for all your help everyone. Especially about the aquarium salt suggestion in al my concern and panic I completely forgot about the stuff!
    So thank you! great first experience!

4. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

so pleased your little one is hopefully getting on the roadto recovery :thumbup:

5. Ariel

Ariel PetForums Newbie

wow that's amazing! I have never had any injuries or incidents like that before with my fish. I'm glad to hear all is well!
    Thank you for having faith!

6. Ariel

Ariel PetForums Newbie

Really? id be so scarred doing that the poor wee thing is only 2 inches long. How advanced would you say it would need to be?
    Vic's is bad but looks especially worse with the secondary fungal infection. Though the veins and redness that were present seem to have gone down over the past couple of days.
    He has kind of plateaued over night.

7. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Usually, trimming away necrotic tissue from the fins is reserved for when there is nearly nothing left. This is especially so for the peduncle area around the caudal fin. You still have to use a chemical treatment though, as the removal process is just a way to buy more time.

The fins are primarily just soft flesh, there are no blood vessels running through most of the flesh so there would be no haemorrhaging.

I've tried this once in a very bad case of finrot affecting a large Tench. Very little harm is done to the fish, and the fins usually start to re-grow (providing water conditions are optimal) within several months.

8. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

yeha it was a huge shock! at first poor little fella swam more to 1 side cos he was a bit unsure what had jsut happened but hes A-OK now! por him. love watching them swim & play- i have big boys (XL Black Moor is one of the biggest) he is hugeeeee, bigger than my fist!

9. Ariel

Ariel PetForums Newbie

Aw amazing! Mine are all relatively small at the moment. 3 of them in my big tank i have only had for about 2 months but are thriving! the one that is ill is about a year and half or so. I am hopping I will be getting the funds for a new tank so they will all have even more room to grow.

10. Ariel

Ariel PetForums Newbie

okay i have no idea if my fish is now deteriorating or getting better or what. He is not as lively, he will sit stationary and then suddenly start swimming about quite lively but is struggling. He is coated in a slimy bubble looking coating from his tail half way up his body. it's really upsetting me seeing him this way but I don't know what else I can do.

11. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

could it be white spot??

12. Ariel

Ariel PetForums Newbie

Its just died. This is the 8th fish iv lost to fin rot in my fish keeping time and I have never had success.
    Thank you everyone for your help!

13. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

dont flush him- sometimes they apprea dead but they are still alive

14. Ariel

Ariel PetForums Newbie

he is not flushed don't worry still in the tank. I just have not seen his gills or mouth move in an hour and Im not holding out much hope.

15. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

:( thats so sad poor little guy. is the white stuff cotton-y? like cotton wool stuck to him?

my guys are way to big to flush, they would block the toilet :lol:

16. Ariel

Ariel PetForums Newbie

i was like slime that accumulated through the day. Like a caccoon kinda like you see with parrot fish. He floating belly up at the top of the tank non responsive. I think he has gone.

17. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

:( so sorry it does sound bad

18. Ariel

Ariel PetForums Newbie

Its all good iv calmed down. I had had him for a while. Clearly the quality of fish is falling. I had two fish in one of those tiny round plastic bowls when I was like 8. No filter no nothing and never had one problem with them. And one of them passed away 2 years ago and the other passed away just last year. They had lost all pigmentation and so were white almost see through they were so old.
    Think am going to start investigating other more private businesses and aquariums for fishes.

19. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Most goldfish sold in UK aquatic stores originate from fish farms in the Far East (Singapore springs to mind, where the ornamental aquatics trade is a big business) where the fish are bred in huge numbers.

The quality of the fish varies, but one of the main problems is that suppliers and aquatic stores fail to pick out poor specimens and don't exercise correct quarantine protocols.

Genetic problems are also a big problem for the aquatics trade, however it is impossible to avoid the occasional inbred specimen.