I have to give my cat away

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by CamKins, Apr 9, 2009.

1. CamKins

CamKins PetForums Newbie

:frown5:

Hi I am Cameron. I have had my cat as a rescue cat for a few years, she is only 3 and the cutest thing in the whole world.

We just moved into a new apartment and before we moved we were told by the landlord that we could have pets - everyone in the building has protested (after we moved in!) and now we dont know what to do.

It is breaking my heart to think of letting her go but it would cripple us financially to move again :( We would only let her move to my partners mother who has a huge garden in yorkshire and loves Mia.

I just wanted to know if she can adapt okay - I couldnt bear the thought of her upset or thinking we dont love her :(

We will visit every few weeks and when the tenancy agreement ends in 17 months, we will get a house that allows cats and get her back.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE

2. RowanWolf

RowanWolf PetForums Member

Why are they protesting? Ignorance?
    Is she a house cat? If the landlord said it was ok I would complain back!

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother Moderator

Why is everbody protesting, could you try to talk to them and win them round. If not don't beat yourself up your only human and she will adapt to living with your partners mother.

4. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Hi Cameron - welcome to PF.

Has the Landlord changed his/her mind in respect of having the pets, or is it just the other people ganging up (probably a few people that don't like pets & others following as they don't want to say anything different).

If the Landlord has changed their minds, then can't give much advice - just see your kitty as much as possible. If its just the others, then stuff them - you've been told its ok and that should be enough.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

5. funkycub

funkycub PetForums VIP

Why are your neighbours protesting - what harm is she doing to them! Has the lnadlord said she HAS to go! I would ask the neighbours outright why it is causing a problem and say you did ask before you moved in!

It's not your fault that this is happenign and it sounds like you are doing everything you can. Your cat will adapt but she will get to see you to, so if it has to happen don't worry xx

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Personally I would tell your neighbours to shove it! What harm can one cat possibly do?

Please dont think of giving her to someone in the family if you dont want to, dont be bullied into it.

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

How would they even know she is there? :confused:

Say shes gone & take her in anyway!!

If the landlord says it ok then its ok if it is in writing!

8. Sharon Tarbard

Sharon Tarbard PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I suspect the other tenants may have had, bad experiences with tom cats or unwanted litters. Win them round. If she is so cute the neighbours are bound to love her. Start by asking 1 or 2 in and let them meet her. The word will spread. As long as the landlord is on your side you will be ok.

9. gazt

gazt Banned

i think if you go and have it out with the rest of the residents you won,t hear any more about it it will be some busy body trying to bully you don,t stand for it and don,t part with your much loved pet for now one good luck

10. catlover

catlover PetForums Member

quite agree with everyone, if you have been told it's ok to have a pet by the person who actually owns the place you're living in, i wouldnt give a monkeys what my neighbours thought, infact i'd get two for good measure

11. Daisymac

Daisymac PetForums Junior

That is awful for you, I am so sorry to hear. Why dont you just keep her as an indoor cat, no one will know she is there. We are lucky our landlord lets us have 10 cats !. Hope it works out ok for you and your baby x

12. Shmitty!

Shmitty! PetForums Senior

If she is indoor she will of course adapt! If she is an outdoor kinda cat, then the new home SHOULD keep her in for at least 3 weeks, if not more, with a litter tray, and show her somfort affection and food, then she should adapt fine and will probably be pleased to see you when you visit, but tbh cats make up their own minds about their affection and they are all different!!;)

It'll be ok, but do do do keep her in until she has adapted properly!:cool::