Hyperthyroidism

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by chillminx, Nov 23, 2010.

1. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi everyone,

My elderly cat was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism a couple of months ago. She is on Felimazole 2.5 mg, and her T4 levels have responded rapidly and are now within normal range.

I am glad to say she has gained a little weight since being on Felimazole, but there are still problems getting her to eat enough....just as there have been for the past year. She is hungry, but when given food she licks at it, and eats very little. The vet says this is because Hyperthyroidism affects her metabolism, making her feel hungry, but also making her nauseous when she eats, thus putting her off her food.

I have no experience of Hyperthyroidism, but I have many years personal experience of HyPOthyroidism (HypoT). I do know that with treating HypoT, it is important to medicate to a level where symptoms disappear, but ensure T4 levels stay within normal range. Does anyone know if the same theory applies with treating Hyperthyroidism? So, if her dose of Felimazole were to be increased slightly, might this improve her appetite, and reduce the nausea?

Also, can anyone tell me if there are any useful supplements to give a cat with hyperthyroidism?

Many thanks.:)

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Cant help with supplements but the operation to have the glands removed is very sucessful :)

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Dally Banjo, thanks for your comment.

Actually, tbh, at the moment I am trying to avoid my cat having a thyroidectomy, as she is aged 17 and the vet says she would be under the g.a. for an hour. I know there are risks at any age with a g.a., but risks increase considerably with a cat age 17.

Also the vet has advised me they do not remove all the thyroid tissue, because that would create a new problem (hypothyroidism), and try to leave enough so the thyroid will function. But the risk is the thyroid gland may grow back eventually, from the tissue that is left.

I wonder if it is not possible to achieve the same effect medically (with drugs) as it would be surgically?

Thanks again.:)

4. Dally Banjo

Sorry I thought she already was :eek: :confused: our Simba had his removed last year & has been like a new cat since :thumbup: the vet did a blood test 1st to make sure he was ok for the op with being old to.

Maybe Hobbs can help you I'l see if she's still alive with haveing the man flu & all ;) :D

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I would be surprised if her continuing lack of appetite is still due to the hyperthyroidism if the T4 levels have been brought back to normal levels and she has started putting on weight.

Could it perhaps be that she has now associated eating with an unpleasant experience, i.e. nausea? Have you tried grating some parmesan on her food, a little tuna water? Brewer's yeast, beef fat powder? Prawns?

Otherwise I would pass your concern past your vet to see what s/he thinks.

PS: I don't think there are any supplements for ht, only things you should avoid, such as seaweed, soya.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Hobbs, many thanks for the helpful suggestions. I am intrigued by the idea of grating Parmesan on her food.......
    although actually she is intolerant of milk, but maybe
    she would be OK with a tiny bit of Parmesan........ I will also try Brewers Yeast for her too......Not sure if I can obtain Beef Powder here....

It is a mystery why her appetite is still poor. It was the vet's idea it is due to HyperT. But, my cat has had food allergies for a number of years, and has also had severe stomatitis in the past (though no inflammation at present) so I think the poor apppetite is more to do with that, as
    she often gets blocked sinuses, and sounds snuffly, and I think maybe she can't smell her food very well...., so if her food smells stronger it may encourage her to try it.

Thanks again :)

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Not a problem. Let us know how you get on. :D

Are you in the UK? If you are ordering from zooplus, then they also do it: Great deals on dog food and snacks at zooplus: Ox Fat Powder. Problem is you would be buying a big pot of stuff that would last you aggggggggggggggggges and your cat mighn't even like it.

If it is due to her feeling nauseous, which I don't think is very likely from what you have said, have a look at slippery elm as a natural way to treat nausea. Might also be a good supplement to have with your CRF cat.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The Oxfat powder from Zooplus sounds great for adding fat to catfood!
    It may be suitable to add to the food of my other cat who has CRF and an enormous appetite. He is OK with fats, but I need to ask the vet if the glucose content of the Oxfat powder is OK for him as I believe it is not so good for damaged kidneys....I wonder if its possible to get pure Oxfat powder without any additives. (I am in UK btw)

Thanks again. :)

9. Daisyandchlo

Daisyandchlo PetForums Member

Not powdered, but plain beef fat (aka dripping) might be worth a try. It's usually less than a £1, so you wouldn't be wasting much money if she didn't like it:)

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

11. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ooh, also....you mention that your cat is on 2.5mg of Felimazole...do you dose once or twice a day? Felimazole is actually designed to be dosed BID so you may want to think about cutting the tablet in half and dosing twice daily to get better coverage from the drug.

Dally Banjo and hobbs2004 like this.
  12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ah! Learn something new every day! Thanks PP

13. Dally Banjo

Is it ok to half Felimazole :confused: or am I getting mixed up with something else :eek:

14. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ahh, I was waiting for that question DB.
    Strictly speaking....No...but I have been given different reasons for this. The first is the danger of the drug being absorbed through the skin of the pill giver...so always wash hands carefully after cutting pills. Second is that it is more likely to cause gastric upset in the cat...but obviously one will monitor that carefully.
    The drug simply does not stay in the system long enough to be dosed just once a day, so splitting the dose will bring the cat down to normal range for far more hours in the day than a single dose, whilst utilising the lowest overall amount of the drug.

15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Paddypaws ~ the goose fat sounds like a good idea. I'll check with the vet, and if she says ok, I'll try my cats with some. Many thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding antacids, both my cats are on Zantac75, prescribed by the vet, but available OTC as a medicine for humans. They have been much better on it. The hyperthyroid cat was particularly badly affected before, vomiting bile a lot, and also vomited blood several times a few months ago. It was this that led the vet to put her on the Zantac. The dose is one sixth of a tablet twice a day. I break each tablet into 6 pieces and then put each tiny piece into a small empty gelatine capsule as I find it so much easier to administer it to the cat in a capsule.

Zantac is not a drug that is licensed for use in animals, but as there no antacids that are licensed for animals, then it is the only option......Seems like there would be quite a market for one of the drug companies to develop....

Thanks again. :)

16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Paddypaws ~ I'm very interested to read your comment about dosing Felimazole twice a day. I thought about this a while ago, but as the Patient Information Leaflet says the tablets must not be cut, I contacted the supplier to ask what the reason for this would be (as the tablets are not enterically coated). The supplier refused to speak with me as I am not a Veterinarian, so my vet has agreed to phone the company on my behalf.

17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Daisyandchlo ~ thank you for the suggestion, I will ask the butcher for some beef dripping. My other cat has always loved beef (both raw and cooked) but has been unable to have it since being diagnosed with CRF, as it is too high in protein, so maybe the flavour of the beef dripping would please him very much!:D

#17 chillminx, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  18. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Interestingly this information about not cutting tablets is NOT included on inserts in USA.

19. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I just spoke to the vet, who assures me it is OK to cut the tablets. She also agreed it is better to dose the Felimazole twice a day.......so that's good news, and I will go ahead and do it. :D